The Five Heartbeats - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Five Heartbeats Reviews

April 23, 2017
One of my top 5 favorite movies of alltime
November 14, 2016
Reminds me of a fictional tale of The Temptations. Great film!
August 8, 2016
Dramatic fictional tale about the trials and tribulations of an r&b group feels more like a weekly tv biopic rather than a complete feature film.
April 1, 2015
Not really worth the struggle.
December 25, 2014
Thats bullshit! This was one of the best movies of the 90's. I had all the elements of life! I almost forget these guys are acting! I love them!
½ September 20, 2014
This movie sucks beyond belief
September 1, 2014
Nothing spectacular but entertaining nonetheless. The Five Heartbeats would have been much more affective if it were a true story but as is some decent performances made this film, even with its made for tv production value, enjoyable enough for fans of music.
½ August 21, 2014
Pour toute sa sympathie et son talent comique, Robert Townsend mérite le respect de tout un chacun. Pour son ambition aussi. Cependant, son deuxième film, The Five Heartbeats est très loin de l'excellence de son premier, à cause d'une durée quasiment doublée et d'un ton bien plus grave qu'Hollywood Shuffle. Il en reste que The Five Heartbeats est une bonne comédie musicale aussi touchante que parfois hilarante, avec cinq bons acteurs qui n'ont malheureusement pas tous de moments de bravoure. Robert Townsend et Hawthorne James sont particulièrement bons, les chansons du film sont belles mais il manque un véritable souffle qu'on retrouve dans Jersey Boys par exemple. Dommage.
August 19, 2014
I always come back to this movie. The phases the five heartbeats went through in life was tragic and the unity they shared was heartfelt. One of my favorite movies.
½ January 20, 2014
The Five Heartbeats is a disappointing film. It is about the rise and fall of an African American vocal group. Chuck Patterson and Michael Wright give terrible performances. The script is badly written. Robert Townsend did a horrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
December 15, 2013
Critics can sometimes get it sooo
wrong. This is a fun and entertaining film with great music and performance numbers. See it!!
November 28, 2013
a must have if you love soul music
November 27, 2013
Only 38 percent of critics would like this film. Smh. This is a classic!
July 29, 2013
After warching this film all the way through i can say this much i love the five heartbeats just as much as the temptations for their story and sound Robert Townsend gave us a classic Overall this is a wonderful Motown inspired film and quite the period piece as well kudos to the cast and special thanks to Actor/Writer/Director Robert Townsend
June 17, 2013
African-American Film Director Spike Lee Is My Ninth Favorite Film Director.
May 26, 2013
1 of my top ten!!!
bout to watch it n a few....i can never get enough of this movie
½ May 13, 2013
Ive only watched part of the movie and want to see the rest of the movie.
April 28, 2013
Yeah, The Five Heartbeats may have some cliches and ... honestly, I don't know why the critics had a problem with this movie. I loved it. The cheesy (cliche) parts were funny to me, and the parts meant to be serious and show the bond between friends was touching. And well, darnit, I loved the singing.

This is one of those movies that critics want to make you embarrassed to love. Well not I. I am shouting it from the rooftops. The Five Heartbeats is one of my FAVORITE movies.
April 20, 2013
Not much to write. You can only make the same movie so many times and keep telling the same story.
March 15, 2013
The best movie ever. Have seen it over 30 times have it in Library in every form