The Five Pennies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Five Pennies Reviews

July 5, 2015
The 5 pennies is my all time favourite movie . laughter to tears , jazz to ragtime . cameos by Louis and others portraying the greats of music in that golden era . Tuesday Weld plays it well , she walks !!! tears fall . best scene is when Danny sings Lullabye in Ragtime to his daughter , great cast , great movie , Danny Kaye's best role n my opinion over The Court Jester . one movie you have to see in your lifetime ,
August 22, 2014
Beautiful and touching. Danny Kaye and Louis Armstrong are brilliant in this film. It holds up very well and the music is out of this world!
April 12, 2013
Little known biopic of Loring 'Red' Nicholls, successful cornet player in 1930's America. Brilliant lead performance by Danny Kaye. The story is funny, sad, quietly heroic, with some great musical numbers. I love it!
November 20, 2012
Probably my favourite film - funny, sad, excellent music, emotional but positive ending!
½ August 18, 2012
A beautifully made classic centered around a man wanting to be a great musician & a great family man and his battles in order to do so.

Danny Kaye was truly a sensation... a brilliant musician & entertainer but often not praised enough for his comic timing & the most underrated quality his ability as a dramatic actor.

This is a beautiful story saturated with fantastic music & gorgeous style, the colors in this film where exquisite. This was quite a detailed plot & had quite a few touching & sad moments in tact. I was quite impressed solid film...
½ April 29, 2012
Danny Kaye is amazing. The songs are great.
½ February 23, 2012
Excellent film...Danny Kaye plays Red Nichols with a great innocence and passion for the jazz. This movie goes from love and loss, through regret to discovery. On top of the great performances from Louis Armstrong himself this film shows a great love for the culture of the American art of jazz.
December 24, 2011
Good classic! Danny Kaye is hilarious
November 9, 2010
A nice little biopic about Red Nichols and His Five Pennies (many of which became more famous than him after they left his band, such as Glenn Miller). Highlight of the movie: Red Nichols and Louis Armstrong duet. Fantastic.
December 1, 2009
It's impossible to go wrong with Danny Kaye. He could do serious roles just as skillfully as comedy
October 14, 2009
Although probably steeped in myth more than fact, this musical semi-biography of Red Nichols was a grand tribute and another outstanding performance by Danny Kaye. For some it will be overly sentimental and a little rough at the end. However it was built around the lives and toe-tapping songs of real entertainers, and had a cast of real old-school entertainers who really knew how to perform. Highly recommended.
August 27, 2009
This has everything that makes good clean entertainment. Danny Kay and Louis Armstrong make this film. It will never get old.
½ August 22, 2009
Join my page here on Flixter and check out my In Tribute to Louis Armstrong CD.
June 25, 2009
Another great Danny Kaye movie. This one is more of a tear jerker than the others I've seen. There are definitely funny parts but it's also a little more serious.
April 18, 2009
Jeez, just look at the cast! Five star +1 ftom me.
November 23, 2008
Great Danny Kaye film after he "grew up", if you will. Very heartwarming. Keep tissues nearby for the middle and end! Louis Armstrong is a great part in this movie also! Must see among classics.
August 6, 2008
Danny Kaye fine in a typical Hollywood bio. Some great music and cameos by real jazz musicians. Tuesday Weld as the daughter!
July 24, 2008
nominated for best picture at the golden globes
June 25, 2008
The last movie i watched with my mom before pass away
June 23, 2008
I'm giviong this Five Stars as it is an old fav of mine from when I was a kid, and well, let's face it, Danny Kaye really was one of the most talented performers of his age. Move Aside Carey Grant, and all those other 50's George Clooney wannabe hacks!