Reviews

• Dec 22, 2016

12/22/16 You Tube This is why documentaries are so important to watch. No mainline film could capture the corruption, ineptitude, savagery, chaos and fear of this completely f..ked country. Once again, as it inevitably is, the common citizen is the ultimate loser while those in power continue their immoral path. It is amazing to me that journalists and their fixers continue to put themselves in harms way in order to tell a story. Their courage is amazing.

• Oct 07, 2010

Depressing and fascinating.

Depressing and fascinating.

• Oct 06, 2009

Another great film to put into my annotated bibliography of Iraq/ Afghanistan war documentaries. "Fixer" takes as its subject the kidnap and murder of an Afghan translator, working for journalists, who is essentially ignored by his government in his time of need. It uses this subject to ask deep and lasting questions about corruption in the newly installed Afghanistan government, and to ask questions about the American willingness to also ignore what is happening in our own wars when it is happening to those with brown skin. Afghanistan has become a sort of Korean War, a forgotten war, but it isn't close to finished, and its effects will linger for a long time. "The Fixer" is an effective documentary because it not only profiles this single story, but uses it to make a much broader argument about the current state of affairs.

• Aug 29, 2009

An interesting documentary examining how journalists operate and the locals who help them in foreign countries. The pacing seemed a little bit weird. Plus, they had video of beheadings and they showed it with a black box over the head. Either you show it all or don't show the video. That was just a confusing film making decision.

• Aug 24, 2009

Very sad story. Some of the shots bleed out for a little too long as if they are trying to make the film longer than it needed to be. Still a respectable documentary.

• Aug 17, 2009

Damn. Very powerful. Warning: very graphic video clips. Do not watch before bedtime, like I did.

• Jun 17, 2009

I saw this at the Bermuda film festival in 2009 and was pleasantly surprised - the director, in Afghanistan to make a film about the war, instead ended up focusing on his own 'fixer', who was later captured by the Taliban and killed. The filming is a bit rough at times, but the heart of the film - the desire to tell Ajmal's story and to memorialize him - is solid.