Flaming Star - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Flaming Star Reviews

½ March 26, 2016
I will be strong. Very strong.

Sam's wife dies leaving him and his son, Clint, on their own. Sam remarries a Native American, Neddym and they have a "half-breed" son, Pacer. A war breaks out between the white settlers and the Native Americans and Sam and Neddy are killed in the process leaving Clint and Pacer to pick sides in the war. Clint picks the whites and Pacer picks the Native Americans and the brothers meet on the battlefield.

"Are you my brother beyond the wall?"

Don Siegel, director of Dirty Harry, Escape from Alcatraz, Shooter, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1959), The Verdict, No Time for Flowers, and Spanish Affair delivers Flaming Star. The storyline for this picture as well as the script and characters are very average. The acting is also mediocre and the cast includes Elvis Presley, Dolores del Rio, Steve Forrest, Barbara Eden, and Tom Reese.

"I would know that you lie and I would have to kill you."

This was recommend to me by Verizon Fios so I randomly DVR'd it. I have never watched too many Presley films and quickly discovered why...he isn't a very good actor. This was very mediocre and his character was a bit over the top at times. I would only recommend seeing this if nothing better is on.

"White men shot her and white men let her die."

Grade: C
January 8, 2016
The central premise involving a half-white/half-American Indian torn between the two halves of his ancestry consistently fails to work due to the fact that the very white Elvis Presley was chosen to embody this paradox. The direction is average, simple pans and shot/reverse-shot norms adhered to throughout, but Presley does well in the lead role, his ethnicity aside. This was made with good intentions, the central narrative revolving around an indictment of racial bigotry, but the tone-deaf casting decisions effectively nullify this commentary (in another groan-worthy misstep, the Native American mother is played by a Mexican actress who attempts an awful accent to embarrassing results). It's passable as a piece of filmmaking, but as a commentary on race relations it fails before it even begins thanks to the aforementioned casting problems.
½ March 24, 2015
Not bad but not great. Elvis does a pretty good job, and the story isn't bad but it's also kinda pointless. Best opening scene ever in which you're about ready to kill yourself over the cheesy square dancing singing BS and then an indian just comes in and kills 'em all. A+
November 28, 2014
The best movie Elvis did. He could act given the right script
½ January 2, 2014
Stay away from Westerns Elvis. Actually, stay away from Movies. I do like your music however.
January 1, 2014
proved elvis could really act.
July 2, 2013
Flaming Star is not your typical Elvis musical. In fact, there's only two songs in the whole movie. And that's certainly not a bad thing! Elvis plays a dramatic role in the film, something that hadn't been done in two years. I'm not going to spoil it, but the plot is certainly an intriguing one, and I didn't feel bored at all during this film like I did during Speedway, Harum Scarum, and other lame musicals. When people say Elvis films are horrible, chances are they haven't even heard of this film. Also, don't be fooled by publicity shots: Barbara Eden doesn't play a very big role in this film. Anyways, all Elvis fans should see this film. It's my second favorite film of his, a close second to King Creole, another great Elvis movie.
March 7, 2013
This Elvis Presley Western actually has a very dark tone and heaps of violence, racism and hate. I wasn't expecting such serious themes and subject matter. The King plays a half-white, half-Indian forced to grapple with his identity and his loyalties when a race war breaks out on the frontier. This is way deeper than most pop star vehicles and actually captures some of the morose gloom of America's troubling racial heritage. There's just one brief musical number before it lurches down the vortex of this nation's disgraceful heritage of massacres, killings, gun violence, sexual assault, and clannishness.
February 21, 2013
A young Indian man, son of an Indian mother and a white father, lives in a house with his white brother that lies in the middle of a conflict between a group of American racist settlers and a fierce Indian tribe. Eventuall, the young man finds himself in situations that lead him to side with the indans. Regardless of the fact that this is perhaps the only Elvis film, apart from Jailhouse Rock, with a plot, and a film that allows him to actually give a credible performance, the film leans heavily on melodrama and can't help feeling a little too dull for its own good.
August 2, 2012
Je ne peux pas dire que c'était mauvais, c'était pas si mal. Mais Elvis Presley en cowboy, c'est déjà à la base plutôt moyen, alors on décroche un peu. Autres quelques accroches, Flaming Star reste un petit western matinal agréable.!
January 11, 2012
Best elves movie he made
January 1, 2012
Powerful western on white racism against the Indians. Great performance from Elvis too.
November 28, 2011
None of the campiness you expect from an Elvis movie,this one makes for surprisingly good drama.
October 13, 2011
Flaming Star
Starring, Elvis Presley, Dir. Don Siegel

I had seen couple of Elvis Presley films, since I'm avid fan of Western films, I never thought Elvis Presley would have won my heart with his applauding dramatic-performance of his film-career. No doubt it is slightly if not fully compete-able with John Ford's The Searchers. None of actor/actresses in the film, has given poor performance. I liked the design of Burton-house; the dark-locations at the near climax, and breath-taking opening scene with typical title-song 'Flaming Star' vocals by Elvis Presley.

I probably consider this film as one of my top-favorite Western-films!
March 27, 2011
chiar k seamana a indian
January 24, 2011
Grandious Anti-Western made in Hollywood The Whites are Evil like in the DEFA Indian Westerns and Elvis is hillarious as Man between Two Fires Cinematography is excellent
January 9, 2011
One of the best Elvis movies.The king plays Pacer Burton,a half Kiowa indian,and son of a white rancher living in western Texas.When the natives and the settlers clash,he finds the townsfolk want his blood so he joins the indians after his mother is senselessly shot.But when his tribe sets their sights on his brother,he sacrifices everything to save him.Very dark film directed by Don Siegel.
August 14, 2010
Very dramatic for Elvis. Sad movie. Sad ending.
½ July 20, 2010
A beautiful western about struggle between whites and Kiowas but also between two brothers because one is half-breed by his mother.
An action movie with an emotional part.
June 16, 2010
U havent seen Flaming Star?