Reviews

• Apr 09, 2016

I love and have a great affinity for serials from the golden age of cinema, and this was definitely one of the better ones I have seen. Previously, I had really enjoyed Buster Crabbe's presence in the post-Weissmuller era of Tarzan, and I have had the DVD of Hodges' 1980 'Flash Gordon' for eons, but wanted to first get to the root of the phenomenon by checking out the serials. Fortunately, in purchasing a 50-film pack, 'Nightmare Worlds' from Mill Creek, it was included. The 12 episodes of the 220-minute serial were well-edited into the fine flow that this version I saw had, and the special effects and production values were quite decent--you could tell it had been made both by a high-quality studio, in Universal, and by directors quite used to the serial format, in Ford Beebe and Ray Taylor. There are some goofs (for example, when Ming's henchmen are looking at a mountainside for the four protagonists, and five are shown), but it's action-packed, with interestingly stylized wipe-edits, and I can see how it later influenced the likes of both George Lucas and Steven Spielberg. As well, it's very interesting how the filmmakers were subtly able to use the film to offer social commentary to the growing Nazi/Fascist movements worldwide that were wreaking havoc across the globe in the Axis of Evil. Heartily recommended to anyone who enjoys the fun side of cinema.

• Dec 28, 2015

Flash Gordon is, undoubtedly, the best of all American serials. In a date so early as 1936,Universal was capable of making such an entertainment story, and twenty years later when I watched it for the first time as a kid it involved me in a great adventure and emotion. Buster Crabbe was the hero we always wanted to be in our childhood, and Jean Rogers the beautiful girl we always dreamt to be in love with. Dragons, octopus, monsters,gorillas were also the attraction. Charles Middleton was a great presence as Ming, the Merciless. A true predecessor of George Lucas´s Starwars.

• Aug 22, 2014

• Jan 17, 2012

Of curiosity value to film buffs. Those who want to see how these old matinee serials influenced George Lucas' Star Wars films will enjoy this.

• Jan 02, 2012

The last of the Flash Gordon serials are definitely the worst of the three, but that doesn't mean its not fun. Sadly a lot of the cast didn't return for this one. The two most important, the hero and the villain, as well as Dr. Zarkov, do return, but I like to see more supporting characters return, and too many are replaced on this one. It is still a solid end to the whole Flash Gordon thing, but it just doesn't have the same level of quality the first, and even second , serials had.

• Jan 23, 2011

FLASH GORDON CONQUERORS THE UNIVERSE [1940] from the mid 1910's right to the mid 1950's, the movie serial reigned supreme at the box office. Over a space of twelve to fifteen weekends each new chapter of a serial would play in theatres to a crowd of excited children. But by the mid-1950's the serial died off with the introduction of T.V, the movie however didn't die off thanks to various things like Drive-In movie theatres and Movies in 3-D. During the height of the serial's popularity between the 1930's and 1940's Universal studio's produce one extremely popular serial in 1936 called FLASH GORDON, that serial was such a huge hit two sequels were made , they where FLASH GORDON'S TRIP TO MARS [1938] and finally FLASH GORDON CONQUERORSTHE UINVERSE [1940]. Now since I have not seen the first two serials in this serial trilogy, I won't be able to give a tougher back story at all but what I can do in this review is merely review what I've seen. THE PLOT: When the Earth has been struck with a deadly purple plague all fingers point to the wicked Emperor Ming of the planet Mongo. So it's up to Flash Gordon, his girlfriend Dale Arden and Dr Zarkov to fly to Mongo to stop Ming's fiendish plans. But when Gordon's old friends of friendly kingdoms on Mongo require his assistance, Gordon and co must now fight the evil Emperor Ming for one final time. Overall view on this serial is one of a positive nature, although I have not seen FLASH GORDON [1936] and FLASH GORDON'S TRIP TO MARS [1938]. I found this serial extremely entertaining and downright enjoyable, loved the different ways in which Flash winds up in trouble resulting in a cliff-hanger endings before the next chapter, the neat SFX, the opening title scroll which has become a trademark of the Star Wars series and overall fun aspect to this serial , my rating is an easy 70%

• Aj V Super Reviewer
    Sep 05, 2010

I saw this a long time ago, I should watch it again.

I saw this a long time ago, I should watch it again.

• Dec 20, 2009

I grew up watching these old classic Flash Gordon serials therefore I have a bit of a soft spot for them. Love it.

• Sep 05, 2009

A serial of the great Flash Gordon. He is sent to find a cure for a plague caused by an evil spaceman dropping "death dust" from his spaceships on earth (chemtrails, anyone?). If you know the comic or any of the subsequent films/series you know this is cheesy as hell - cardboard sets and cardboard acting. This may in fact be the best of all the Flash Gordon adaptations.

• May 05, 2009

this is so terrible...yet so fantastic. the acting looks like it'd be more at home in a high school theater than on the big screen....it's so, so awful....but that's precisely what makes this film so charming. the fight scenes are stupid and drawn out, though...i've seen limp-wristed slap fights that are more believable. while these fights are humorous at first, by the end you'll just be rolling your eyes and wondering why you've got to deal with watching another one of these sad disputes. overall, this is a pretty fun cheese-fest, though...definitely worth a watch.