Flash Gordon (Flash Gordon: Space Soldiers) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Flash Gordon (Flash Gordon: Space Soldiers) Reviews

February 8, 2015
The first Flash Gordon is entertaining in a camp kind of way; the adventure story is simple and the comic strip adaptation uses blatant cliffhangers to keep the audience going. Special effects are not its strong suit even in the mid 30's; I an sure it was a challenge then but I don't think the studio was too concerned with realistical depictions.
½ January 20, 2015
Innovative, but long.
May 13, 2012
The special effects may seem outrageously chintzy today, but 'Flash' is compelling nonetheless.
January 28, 2012
January 2, 2012
I really liked the original Flash Gordon serial. I admit I have only seen a few old serials, but Flash Gordon just does it for me. Of the few I've seen, this is my favorite. It has a hero, some decent fantasy adventure plot, some swashbuckilng action, and lasers and swordfights, giant lizards and fighting Shark People...what's not to love!? Buster Crabbe is great as the hero, and Charles Middleton is fantastic as Ming the Merciless. You really see the spirit of this serial in the original Star Wars trilogy. Sadly the Flash Gordon film made in the early 1980s is a little too campy and loses some of the fun adventure I enjoyed so much about this serial. Its a classic though.
September 12, 2010
It starts out strong for a 1930s serial,the story is coherent, Flash has a darker edge, there is camera work and shadow play, the alien creatures are cool. However as it goes on the story looses its focus, becomes a muddled mess, characters loose any credibility they may have had, and it is saddled with a pointless and anti-climactic ending.
November 2, 2008
Amazing special effects for 1936! Some might even be equal to or better than the special effects of the 1960s. No obvious wires for the ships, even the ray guns are pretty cool too. Charles Middleton is an amazing Emperor Ming. He is so cool! The character Dale Arden had such promise. She is fairly strong in the most recent movie, and to some degree is has some strength but mostly she just faints whenever things get scary for Flash Gordon. What is amazing is the space special effects for 1936. I had not idea that such a thing was possible for this time period. I wish that this was colorized at some point. I bet the sets and costumes must look amazing. What I didn't realize is that during this time period they made a series. While the DVD is 4 hours long, each piece is between 15 minutes long. Larry "Buster" Crabbe is a pretty cool Flash Gordon. I really like Princess Aura (Priscilla Lawson, she plays a pretty cool strong character.