Flash of Genius - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Flash of Genius Reviews

February 22, 2015
Absolutely brilliant film based on a fantastic true story. Moving, great acting and a great cast.
½ October 3, 2014
This movie was well acted, but boring. It was just soooo boring.
June 21, 2014
Beautifully done, the efforts of Kearns throughout his life to protect private property and not give up is applause worthy at least. An incredibly fine saga of creation.
½ April 30, 2014
Although taken to another level by a standout performance from Greg Kinnear, "Flash of Genius" is a rather conventional film with not much going for it. It has good intentions, is well-acted and has a fabulous score, but it's not the kind of film you'll remember for long. Kinnear, unlike you've ever seen him before, perfectly inhabits the role of a quiet, yet determined man motivated to reach a goal. The supporting cast, including a superb Lauren Graham, also carry the film when it seems to be falling apart. Yet sadly enough, they just can't save this movie from being a mediocre time pass. Though the message is inspiring and at times moving, the film suffers from a lack of innovation. It ends on a predictable note with an ending you see coming immediately, the characters lack interesting qualities and the film plods at a slow pace. If you have nothing better to do on a rainy Sunday night, this may be a film that'll uplift your spirit but in a nutshell that's not saying much. Overall, what's ironic is that it only has flashes of genius.
October 28, 2013
It's difficult to compress decades into 2 hours but the movie would have been far more watchable if they had kept it to 1.5 hours.
June 16, 2013
An interesting based on a true story drama. You will enjoy this if you like the classic under dog story. Greg Kinnear's acting is what keeps the movie from being too boring.
½ April 21, 2013
A little too long in parts and not enough emotion... 3.5/5
April 21, 2013
Loved this movie....Greg Kinnear always tremendously watchable and underrated as usual. Loved the fact this was a true story and that the little guy does occasionally win although at great cost and this movie really conveyed the heartache and frustration suffered by this guy. I have a newfound respect for my windscreen wipers.
April 7, 2013
Greg Kinnear shines in this true story about a common man vs. the big corporation machine - and just what one may have to give up in order to win such a fight. Highly recommended for fans of all the underdogs out there.
March 30, 2013
It is difficult to watch a man lose more than a decade of his life to one battle. But this is no Erin Brockovich. You have to believe in Bob Kearns, and Greg Kinnear, to believe in his cause.
March 13, 2013
Flash of Genius is the true story of the man who invented the intermittent wiper blade - only to see the Ford Mother company swipe the invention for their own benefit. But of course, this being a Hollywood film, the little guy fights back against the big, mean corporation, losing his family, wife, and sanity in the process. You can expect an ending that's triumphant, measuring it's unbalanced loss and gains.
February 24, 2013
Good story, but I can see why it fell through the cracks, very flat.
January 22, 2013
This is just random enough to work. I usually hate "based on a true story - sob stories" like this promises to be, but the story is something I NEVER considered. I'll give it a chance.
½ January 9, 2013
an absolute borefest and a painful horrible experience to watch, wooden dialogue, wooden performances, and nothing memorable happening whatsoever and will never ever want to see it again i had to watch this at school because my stupid teacher can't find a more entertaining movie for me and my class to watch there were other people who looked bored as hell and some were sleeping and talking during it.
½ January 1, 2013
Greg Kinnear does a good job in this quality drama.
December 31, 2012
I saw this movie, 'Flash of Genius', the same weekend as 'Ghost Town' (both movies starring Greg Kinnear) and the conclusion I have come it is that they are both outstanding pieces of work and actually found it difficult to split them in terms of a rating.

Ultimately, I'm rating this one ('Flash of Genius') higher but I'm at a loss to really explain why. This is more of a 'thinking' movie, with the central performance from Greg Kinnear a very good one. Lauren Graham ('Gilmore Girls') also performs admirably here as Kinnear's wife.

There is a lot to like about this movie. The performances from Kinnear and Graham aside, the director got it spot on with giving the movie a 1960's feel initially and then also later years as the movie progresses.

Dermot Mulroney also features in this movie, but he does not play a major part - especially as the movie goes on. I find it difficult to separate Mulroney from his best work (in 'The Family Stone') but he performs quite well here.

Another great point from this movie is the surprisingly strong performances from the younger actors - which is quite often a problem in many movies. However the "kids" in this film are very believable and that it a credit to them.

Overall, I'd highly recommend this movie - with what I feel was a brilliant performance from Greg Kinnear at its core.
½ December 29, 2012
Decent, even if a little dry and lengthy film based-on-a real-life-story about an inventor and his wiper-trials. And his victory over the big corporations. good for him.
December 16, 2012
With a fascinating true story, a good script and interesting dialogue, great performances by Greg Kinnear, Lauren Graham, Dermot Mulroney and Alan Alda, astounding directing by first-time director Marc Abraham and a good but okay pace and flow, Flash of Genius is an inspiring tale of a man going up against a corporation in a lawsuit while also learning about windshield wipers.
½ December 10, 2012
Well made, but lacks a bit of an emotional core. The writing is a bit too bland. Greg Kinnear singlehandedly carries the film.
½ December 1, 2012
Bob said to kids..
" u've certainly earned da ryt
to say anythin u wana say..."
daughter said..