Dao huo xian (City Without Mercy) (Flash Point) (Fuse) (The Signal) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dao huo xian (City Without Mercy) (Flash Point) (Fuse) (The Signal) Reviews

½ February 8, 2016
Ever since I saw Donnie Yen in " Ip Man " I been watching his movies, but this one fails to delivered the goods. Yen attempts to bring in grapping and other mixed martial arts as his specialty. It would have worked of there were actually fighting scenes. Instead we have a long winded story withoit action. If you are going to try a new fight movie, there should of least be many fight scenes, I was disappointed. As that being said for this not being a great Donnie Yen movie, I give " Flashpoint " a C-.
½ October 1, 2015
One of the things Netflix has allowed me to do is to watch the films of one of the more unheralded modern martial arts actors in Donnie Yen. I don't think I'll ever get tired of talking about how great this guy actually is as a martial arts actor, particularly since he has managed to find longevity without his body completely breaking down on him like some of his contemporaries, Jackie Chan and Jet Li. Donnie never really took the risks Jackie Chan did, so that obviously has a lot to do with it. Because of that and the fact that he didn't transition to the U.S marketplace, though he will in appear in a Star Wars spin-off film. People in the know are definitely aware of this guy's talents and I think it's time that the world realizes just how good Donnie Yen is and has been for a really long fucking time. With that out of the way, this film isn't what I would call great. It's not what I would call good either, to be honest. It's just that there's really not a whole lot of action, at least until the last 20 minutes of the film, and the story is not really good either. Though, honestly, I found a lot of the film to be kind of cheesy and, actually, a bit of fun. Like Donnie Yen's character is a complete stereotype. Just a joke of a character. He walks around shirtless, literally looking like he's a model. He's also the type that does what he wants, when he wants and refuses to listen to his superiors for playing things by the book far too much. Just a complete joke of a character. It's not that the character is unlikable, but he's just a funny character without him ever being meant to be one. The story isn't any good, like it has no structure and no real flow to it, but it's a B-movie in that it's kinda goofy and over-the-top, so I think that that definitely made the film a whole lot more fun to watch even if I wouldn't call it good. The film does have its action sequences, but I don't think they're really that good or interesting. At least until the climax. The climax starts out as a gunfight scene that really didn't do much for me, once the various goons are eliminated and it's down to Donnie's character and the villain, then things get down to a martial arts fight. This is, obviously, the highlight of the film, because they get to go a long time and the fight choreography for this scene is excellent. If only the film had done more of this and maybe tightened up the story, it might've been a great martial arts film. As it stands, it's not even close to being good. There's some fun to be had here, but it's at the expense of the film and not necessarily something the film did itself. The one martial arts fight scene in the film is probably the only thing that you really need to see out of this. The rest can definitely be skipped out on, since this is not a good movie. It's average at best, so I can't exactly recommend it.
September 23, 2015
Martial arts was awesome but the rest of the stuff was bland and has been done before. It was still nice to see Donnie yen kick ass, he is truly the next jet li and Jackie chan.
½ August 10, 2015
Complete garbage. Not even worth explaining why. Save yourself some time and watch something else. If you must watch it, FF to 30 min remaining and watch the mediocre fight scenes. Nothing will make sense, but watching the entire movie won't fix that anyway.
½ April 25, 2015
While Flash Point lacks the focus or in-depth story a typical Donnie Yen picture has, there is still enough toward the final half hour to keep this film on the list to watch.

Anything Donnie Yen choreographed is definitely worth a watch in the first place, however, the direction doesn't quite match Yen's detail in the fight scenes. Instead of keeping Yen's character a focus of the entire film, we get a slow build to his introduction fully in the movie. Instead, we get introduced to the undercover cop and his relationship with the gang.

You did get a good 'boss' fight in the end, but it lacks emotional substance with the uneven story building in the first hour. However, the grapples, elbows and knees are delivered so forcefully you wonder how any of the stunt guys made it out alive.

While I've definitely seen better from Yen in past and present films, Flash Point is still enjoyable enough to see him deliver a few good one-liners and fists of fury to make a statement.
April 18, 2015
I enjoy Donnie Yen, but he sure seemed to phone this performance in. There is some decent martial arts action, but the story is slow and only mildly interesting. Seems like a money grab instead of an honest attempt at a movie.
March 16, 2015
Saw it. 1 star for drama, 5 stars for action. So, average is 2.5 stars.
½ January 28, 2015
Grade:Low 7/10

Flash Point is a martial arts film that is full of fast violence,
overly dramatic characters and big car chases, might sound a bit crazy
but it is actually quite good fun. With a story we have seen before,
the creators had to bring something new, and for me they brought great
sequences of fighting that over shadow even the dialogue. For me the
film was firmly a kind of good movie and here below is why I think it
also, a little bit underrated.

The story is fast paced as previously mentioned and it makes the
characters never quite seem safe, or that gravity doesn't bound them to
the earth as some stunts are maybe a little over the top, but in any
way it is still good fun to watch. It's a cop story that has been tried
and tested but they manage to churn a version of it out well and for me
personally(who has never really seen Hong Kong cinema), it goes down
well and this is a perfect advert for Good Hong Kong martial arts films
in which I also believe we have to watch a bit more of, even if only
for it's crazy stunts.

The cast do a very basic job and no one not even the main actor Donnie
Yen do an outstanding piece of work. They do go well together though
and I found the characters such as the one Donnie Yen plays as the cop
who is rational and good hearted(deep down) where as some other less
savoury characters are around who are really evil and mean to take any
chances to take those who stand against them out. The characters are
also fun to see handle with the stunts as when fighting, you feel some
will not fight well but then BOOM! They hit someone in a mid air kick,
great stuff.

Wilson Yip as director does a good job and manages to not make it
constant fighting, the film has some good drama, especially near the
ending. Of course when talking technical, the main point anyone would
mention is the fighting scenes which are choreographed superbly, and
even when with guns they do well, the film is perfectly done for this
kind of genre and for anyone who is an aspring Kung-Fu director or
choreographer, this is a prime example. Locations are nice too and if I
was the Hong Kong tourism board I would be praising this as it is
beautiful scenery among all the carnage.

It is a bit crazy and that is the main criticism, the fights can go
insane like with what I was saying about the anti physics fighting that
just goes crazy. The script is a little weak and some things said are
the most basic words ever know to man with no heart really going into
much, but still it makes for some entertainment anyways. One last thing
is the basic story used which kind of is always seen and could anger
some as maybe it is just too basic and average like.

People who love fight films should love this and of course those who
love Martial Art films(especially those from the area it was invented).
I think also if you are looking for a quick film to thrill you this is
the one with your heart beating maybe a few times but just have a look.
People who want more classy action, don't see this, it's crazy fight
scenes are just too much sometimes and could put some off with just one
scene of fighting.

Overall a low 7/10 firmly a pretty good movie but never quite get's near
being straight good, but is in no way falling to just be OK. I feel
with this that the film isn't so much memorable but still have a look
and see and maybe you will enjoy it. Will also add that this is in no
way a massive budget film and some explosion seem a bit weird, but I
will commend them for managing such good effects with such a low
budget.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
The story could have been a bit better in this flick and more tempo sometimes perhaps. The fighting scenes though was really cool and well made. I haven't seen many "Donnie Yen" movies but he seems like a great martial art guy. Overall a decent movie.
October 25, 2014
One of my top 10 best martial arts movies. Loved it
½ August 4, 2014
This movie made no sense throughout the entire time. I had almost no idea what was going on except that gangs were fighting each other. The fight scenes were very uninteresting and uninspired. My wife thought this movie was fucking retarded because of all the unrealistic fighting taken straight out of the UFC video game that my friends play. The plot was nonsensical and overall was very hard to understand with its long sequences inbetween all the fighting. A guy got punched to death for God's sake and two assless guys fought each other towards the end. Overall this movie sucked ass and my wife and 5 kids also think the same.
½ April 29, 2014
So farcically bad in every respect, I was laughing out loud during much of the run time. Ripe for an MST3K riffing.
April 28, 2014
The end fight scene is one of the best, but the rest of the movie is slow and not interesting.
April 2, 2014
wow ummmmn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a great movie 2 watch.......its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie......i think that donnie yen,louis koo, collin chou, lui leung wai, fan bingbing, play good roles/parts throughout this movie.......i think that the director of this mystery/suspense/action/adventure/thriller movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a stunning movie 2 watch it is so really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch......i think that Collin Chou as Tony was great throughout this movie as he played the bad guy really well throughout this movie........YOU HAVE GOT TO WATCH THE END OF THE CREDITS THORUGHOUT THIS MOVIE AS YOU SEE EVERYBODY TRAINING THORUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......i think that Donnie Yen as Detective Sergeant Ma Jun was brillliant throughout this movie as the hero of the movie........its got great fight scenes throughout this movie.......i think that the car chases were really good throughout this movie.......its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie......i think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch it is such a stunning thriller movie 2 watch its such a brillliant movie 2 watch its so really well directed/acted/written movie 2 watch.....i think that this is such a brilliant movie 2 watch it is such a great mystery movie 2 watch its got great fight scenes throughout this movie.......its got good car chases throughout this movie......i think that this is such a brilliant movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie its such a brilliant movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie.......
½ December 27, 2013
Flash Point offre aux fans de Donnie Yen ce qu'ils attendent : un combat dantesque avec les bad guys du film, un sidekick plus interessant que prevu, un scenario pretexte sans que ce soit reellement genant et surtout un humour bienvenu qui parvient a n'etre jamais lourd. Wilson Yip orchestre tout cela avec un savoir-faire efficace tout en tirant le maximum de son excellent casting, Louis Koo et Collin Chou en tete.
December 25, 2013
The story standard, the action is awesome, especially the final scene...
November 20, 2013
Good fighting at the end part. Collin Chou & Yu Xing are Vietnamese, discussing a drug deal with Ben Lam. Ray Lui is dancing with Caucasian girls and a guy steps in. He go back to his seat and throw a wine bottle to his head. Donnie Yen lead cops to raid the club. Louis Koo says he is the culprit. Donnie slap him and use submission move on him. He is facing panel complaint for his numerous beating of accuse. Ben isn't happy the shipment took so long and find Ray trouble. Collin and Yu easily beat them all up. Louis is actually undercover and with Donnie. Kent Cheng is their superior, tell Donnie he is transfer to band. Collin meet the gang boss who want them to stop their nonsense troubles. Ray call and threaten to kill his wife and child if he dare to interfere. The boss agreed reluctantly. Louis ask Fan Bingbing to celebrate his birthday. Yu is about to kill Ben while he is in a car with his family. Louis inform the police arrive and Ben is lucky. Ben want to testify against Ray gang. Kent intend to strike when Ray is celebrating his mother's birthday. They bring back the gang boss for questioning. Collin know something is amiss and they left by different car. Collin, Yu and Louis go back to warehouse to collect their money. Ray and his mum are caught. Collin take Louis phone and call Donnie. Louis quickly jump out but Collin knock him down hill. Ray plead not guilty and adjourn. 3 months passed, Louis is better. Collin bring back his mother out of old folks home. Yu killed Ben. Collin make a time bomb and shaft into a baked honey chicken, delivery to Louis home when everyone is having a party. The delivery guy can't get signal for the detonator and the battery fall. He slot in again and climb to the top. Kent want to heat up the chicken and he is killed. Fan is injured. The 3 gang boss are killed on court day. Donnie quickly assemble a team to protect the only witness left Louis in hospital. Fan tell him she's pregnant. The thugs dress as cleaners. In the lift, Yu and Donnie fight. Collin caught Fan. Donnie chase Yu and the latter use a small girl as hostage and throw her to the ground. Donnie is furious and beat Yu badly. Donnie know Louis will not testify against Ray. He is release immediately. Donnie beat Ray and ask Collin where to meet. He shoot Ray ear when Collin shoot at Louis. The duo escape and they rest chase Donnie. Louis drop Fan and return to help Donnie. He bang Ray and Donnie shot him. He chase Collin to the hideout and fight. Collin is quite his match at first. Then Donnie use MMA style and defeat
him.
October 31, 2013
A decent and well put together crime martial arts movie that will live in the memory for all but ten minutes. The action is done really well and the last fight is great but the inconsistent violence levels and seen-it-all-before plot help about as much as several kicks and punches to the face.
½ August 6, 2013
Flash Point has great action choreography by Donnie Yen, but the plot was okay
July 28, 2013
UFC and MMA fans would love the fight sequences