The Flesh Eaters - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Flesh Eaters Reviews

January 3, 2016
One of the early gore films of cinema. Overall, it wasn't too bad, the acting is alright but it's still a really campy movie with the cheesy and ridiculous monster effects. And the movie takes a while to develop, so it can get boring. But, if it wasn't for the gore in this film, i would never have seen this film. Worth a look.
March 26, 2014
This is an early gore flick and is moderately amusing as both a horror film and unintentional comedy. The dialouge is ridiculous tripe, the actors aren't actually capable of acting, and the character's schemes are chock full of holes but this film manages to pull off some good old school gore (especially the scenes where the mad doctor gets it and the pilot's leg starts to get chewed off. The pacing isn't too bad, but overall this film just doesn't leave much of an impression.
February 10, 2013
This film was campy and funny, disregard the movie poster though, it's in black and white. The beatnik guy was probably my favourite part of the film. Overall it was a good watch for its comedic value but not on my top list.
October 30, 2012
Inventive visual treat with plenty of bite--Good old fashioned trash!!
½ October 3, 2012
This film goes above and beyond the standards of 1960s b-horror/sci-fi. It has exceptionally good acting, an intriguing story line, and most importantly an iconic title.
September 9, 2012
Worth it for the title alone.
½ December 16, 2011
"The Flesh Eaters" isn't your typical B-horror movie from the '60's. It's full of forward thinking ideas, and it features a different story than we're used to. It's more science fact than science fiction, and that was kind of refreshing.
Believe me, all of the usual elements are here, such as the busty, lusty babes, wooden acting and ridiculous special effects. But I was also able to appreciate the more thoughtful story, and I loved the fact that the film is a lot more gruesome than we're used to from films of this time. There are some real moments of nasty brilliance, most notably in the death of the film's most annoying character, a wayward beatnik out boating on a raft in the middle of the ocean. The big killer here, and really the only reason that I can't recommend the film, is the pacing from director Jack Curtis.
The beginning is good, as I was hooked early on, and I loved the hilarious and outlandish ending. The problem is that there's a good fifty minutes in between that feels like two hours, and it's a complete buzz-kill. The movie is about ten minutes longer than most horror films from that decade, and with that much editing, Curtis really could have had something here.
The casting is a lot of fun with Martin Kosleck channeling Udo Keir in his role as a demented Nazi, and Barbara Wilkin is a great deal of fun as a boozy, spoiled actress. The campy special effects only add to the fun. "The Flesh Eaters" is a film that I really wanted to like a lot more than I actually did, and that's kind of a shame. It's got a lot going for it, but the middle portion is a wasteland of missed opportunity.
flixsterman
½ May 8, 2011
Necrotizing fasciitis was never this much fun. Gloriously awful low-budget sci-fi in the tradition of Mansquito and The Killer Shrews.
May 1, 2011
A wealthy, bitchy, drunkard of an actress and her assistant hire a plane to fly them to P-town. Flying in a storm, they crash on an isolated Cape Cod island en-route. They are soon discovered by a resident of the island, a German (though specifically, NOT a Nazi for once!) ocean biologist doing research there. The pilot quickly becomes suspicious of the scientist when a flesh-eating bacteria is discovered in the water around the island, but the biologist claims ignorance (despite several bones shown on shore shore of flesh). The next day a beatnik on a raft lands on the island. They all work together to escape. Pretty damn gory for the early 60s and funny at times. The night-time scenes were the brightest I ever seen used - they didnt even try any camera tricks to make it look like darktime! Deleted scenes show this was to originally include nudity and make the scientist into a Nazi.
January 16, 2011
An actress, her assistant & a chartered pilot become marooned on a desert island w/ a Nazi mad scientist who is perfecting a flesh eating virus to sell to the highest bidder. He pumps some electricity into the organisms & creates a monster that will devour you leaving nothing but the bones. Poorly acted C grade flix that actually seems more suited coming out in the 50s brings nothing new to the dance. You're just waiting for the rubber creature to show up @ the end. If you have little demand, like em cheap & formula then this schlock is for you. I found it dull only good for the occasional unintended giggle especially when our Nazi scientist tells his motives. I would actually like to see a villain someday not explain everything away & say 'it's none of your damn business!'
October 12, 2010
B-film med katastrofalt dåliga effekter...sevärd bara av den anledningen...
July 11, 2010
"Gilligan's Island" with flesh-eating microbes; campy fun.
May 28, 2009
Classic Terrible. And Classic Terrible Funny.
½ January 31, 2009
I really liked this movie. Even though it didn't have the best effects because it's quite old, it was still enjoyable to watch. The acting was actually good, and the storyline was creative.
January 24, 2009
Terribly B-movie. But adorably terrible. This is the kind of movie that you laugh at the acting and writing, but you don't feel like you are wasting your time. The death scenes are great, and the story is cheesy, but what can you expect when the story and script are written by a comic book author.
October 17, 2008
Wow. This movie is so good for so many reasons!! Any film that scratches the acetate as a special effect gets an extra star! My dh and I were a little disappointed that the infamous "Nazi Experiment" flashback (that looked like it was filmed in NJ) wasn't in the film. It was one of the extras, though.
½ October 12, 2008
Saw this on on AMC the other night. Not a bad old horror movie, and you can never go wrong with making a crazed Nazi a bad guy.
October 9, 2008
July 31, 2008
Beautifully, perfectly cheesy B-movie that straddles the borderline between classic (ie: innocent) and modern (ie: sex and violence ridden exploitation) low budget horror. Universal second-string horror star Martin Kosleck is awesome as the evil scientist. The gore effects are quite cool, although the optical effects at the end aren't quite as effective. Still, this is required viewing for fans of low-budget horror.

I fantasize about doing a remake with Bill Moseley and Bruce Campbell.
½ March 8, 2008
Featuring the world's most dangerous marine biologist...