The Flight of Dragons - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Flight of Dragons Reviews

June 1, 2010
This is a delightful film, with a great combination of humor, action, epic fantasy and fairy tale. Based on a book I have yet to read sadly, this film shines as a testament to the potential power of animation and story telling.

This film also affected my views on dragons in fantasy, and how they don't always have to be evil or guarding a treasure.

This is a must for any true fantasy fan, and a true delight for fans of animation young and old.

Let yourself be whisked away on this flight of wonder, fantasy, and best of all...dragons.
½ April 11, 2010
I like how this movie explains how dragons are able to fly and why they breathe fire.
½ March 16, 2010
Man, I loved this movie as a kid. I wonder if I would still like it?
February 28, 2010
A film I wished that I had watched when I was a lot younger but still has some magical elements even now; this is what Dungeons and Dragons should have been.
February 9, 2010
I absolutely loved this film as a child. Absolutely epic, beautiful music throughout and a brilliant story and cast. I cannot recommend this highly enough - possibly my favourite film :)
January 19, 2010
watched this late at night once when under the influence.... brilliant! would so love to see it again
December 21, 2009
Harry Morgan (M*A*S*H), James Earl Jones, and John Ritter? How can you go wrong?

If "The Last Unicorn" is for little girls, "The Flight of Dragons" is for boys. The movie's plot is very confusing for being so simple. The story tells like a goofy Dungeons and Dragons campaign.

I watched this movie growing up, and though I couldn't fully grasp certain scenes till I was older, I was thoroughly entertained. Most of the humor was over my head, but I appreciated it when I was older.

The characters are entertaining, but some weren't given enough time in the movie. Some characters didn't seem to have a point, as they didn't really do anything important towards stopping the villain.

In all truth, had I seen this movie after puberty, I'd likely rate the movie much lower. There are a lot of flaws with the story. It is a classic you must grow to love. The main characters are fun, the animation is beautiful, and it is definitely a movie worth watching.
November 11, 2009
from the first ten minutes, it looks great.
½ November 9, 2009
Todo un clasico de mi infancia, me ha gustado revisionarlo....
October 4, 2009
Admittedly, I haven't seen Flight of the Dragons in years. The animation, though, is among the very best. Absolutely beautiful!! It's a shame that copies are so hard to find
½ September 7, 2009
Such a cute animation.. and story. Loved it.
August 15, 2009
This is my favourite cartoon from when i was little
½ July 28, 2009
Proper old school fantasy stuff from my childhood. A shame it's not on DVD...
½ July 27, 2009
Tiene cierto encanto de animacion ochentera. Recomendable para nostalgicos que vieron esta peli de ninyos (como yo). Imprescindible VO. (5)
½ June 27, 2009
Man, how did I ever know the existence of this movie? Probably 10 years ago, I rented it from the local library and was given a surprise. However, I don't remember the cover being this stupid...Anyways, the movie may seem dated now, but it still has it's 80's fantasy charm and Darth Vader voices the villain!
June 21, 2009
Another love of my youth.
½ June 16, 2009
A young Boston writer goes back in time into an era where wizards and dragon reign and science is just barely known.
June 8, 2009
A beautifully animated film which delves into a quest storyline which is a reminder of that of Lord of the Rings. A great storyline which is one for the family.
May 17, 2009
Rankin/Bass delivered a fairly decent animated fantasy film. Their production concepts have always been interesting to me: Thundercats, Silverhawks, etc. All those ideas worked.

The story for "Flight of the Dragons" is strong mostly throughout, although it is at times episodic. Peter, when he is trapped in the body of a dragon, must learn how to fly. Then, they must fight an ogre. Then, they fight a huge worm.

I did not like the final battle scene between the Red Wizard Ommadon and Peter. While the wizard speaks in what I assume is Latin to cast his spells, Peter simply recites scientific maxims to counter them. Lame.

I did like that Peter used logic to understand how flight and fire-breathing for a dragon is possible. That was interesting.

Kids should love this film, if they are not ritalin runts. There is no slapstick comedy as one sees in animated films today. The jokes are more like the ones grandpas sitting on the front porch would use.

Did you ever want to see a dragon sing "Oh, Susanna?" Well, here's your chance. I think this should be good, adventurous entertainment for the kids. Animation is not exactly high quality, but it is very detailed. The music is unbelievably superb; you can thank the London Philharmonic for that. Keep in mind, parents, that sex is hinted at in the film. When Sir Orin says that dawn is coming soon, Danielle says they may never see another night. He then takes her hand and leads her to his bedroom. The dragons later mention that they were "in bed together."
April 27, 2009
it used to scare me when i was little