Flower Drum Song - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Flower Drum Song Reviews

August 2, 2015
A story of illegal aliens
July 1, 2015
Plenty of great songs. My favorite is probably "Love Look Away," and it's tough to beat the appeal of a young Nancy Kwan in her absolute prime. Amazing to see Miyoshi Umeki in a romantic lead as well. I will miss her.
June 12, 2015
Bloated, bizarre, and shamelessly exoticizing. But it's also camp, so nothing can really be taken seriously. I laughed, I groaned, but mostly I snickered.
½ October 5, 2013
You gotta hand it to Rodgers & Hammerstein for being the first duo to create a musical for an all-Asian-American cast. Unfortunately, though it may have felt progressive for its time, this film is quite dated - stuck in 60's slang ("tomato" and "bop"), taking women's lib back a couple years, and fraught with those silly Asian characters who quizzically look at American culture and don't know what to make of it.
Still, this is one of those iffy movies that you just love to watch! And the songs (well, most of them, I'm still not enthralled by "I Am Going to Like It Here") are so catchy! The "Love Look Away" dance sequence is one of the most beautifully over-dramatic numbers by far. And the personalities on-screen truly are lovable, especiall Benson Fong who steals the screen with his one-liners. I'm not quite sure how Juanita Hall got in the mix, but she acts as a great counter-balance of comedy with Benson. Dashing James Shigeta, foxy Nancy Kwan, city-wise Jack Soo, and aborable Miyoshi Umeki carry the ridiculous love quadrangle (plus one tragically written Reiko Sato) to its preposterous and Deus ex machina conclusion.
There are also lots of fun errors in the film - like people looking at the camera, or singing when they're not supposed to be, or the really sloppily danced Chop Suey. Fun times, fun times.
And I love the rhyme: "You can't have a new" with "Grant Avenue." Oh Hammerstein.
My friend A.W. better finish writing her script so we have more great, contemporary works from Asian writers!
August 15, 2013
This outdated musical is an endearing but misplaced historical anachronism. Overall acting is poor and the singing is worse; the singing is actually so bad it's hard to judge the quality of the music. Still, there are some charming moments to be had in this dated clunker.
May 30, 2012
Wonderful, delighful, and entertaining. I love James shigeta
April 5, 2012
The first time I saw this, I fell in love. An oriental musical and cast about a mail order bride who ends up in San Francisco from China, to claim her groom but ends up in a twist along the way. Miyoshi Umeki, who recently passed away plays the mail order bride. Interesting musical. Great scores A Hundred Million Miracles, Chop Suey, I Enjoy Being a Girl among others.
½ December 24, 2011
Enchanting musical romance set in 1960's San Francisco
April 27, 2011
This movie might be a bit dated now. Yet it's still entertaining. " I enjoy being a girl" & "The other generation" are still my favorites. I just wish they would take out the 15 min dance sequence, that adds nothing to the story.
December 29, 2010
Excellent classic to be watched.
September 5, 2010
A fave! The songs in this are wonderful!
June 22, 2010
So, I found a Rogers & Hammerstein musical I hadn't seen...now I know why...just an ok musical. The story was good...a Chinese woman and her father come to San Francisco to marry her off, by the traditionally "arranged marriage" way. Mioshi Umeki, who was the first Asian to win an Oscar (for Sayonara) but I remember her mostly as Mrs. Livingston on The Courtship of Eddie's Father series, was so cute and perfect as the little Chinese woman. I love musicals and I thought most of the musical numbers kinda sucked...that's what made this just ok for me...but it did have other aspects that kept my interest.
April 30, 2010
well umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch.....its got a good cast of actors/actressess thorughout this movie...i think that benson fong, jack soo, james shigeta, juanita hall, miyoshi umeki, nancy kwan., reiko sato play good roles/parts thorughout this movie....i think that benson fong/jack soo were good throughout this movie....i think that the director of this musical/performing arts/drama/romance movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie...i think that this is a good musical movie 2 watch with a good cast thorughout this movie n its entertaining movie 2 watch
March 4, 2010
All Asian Cast!!!! Nancy Kwan, Miyome Umeki!!!
January 16, 2010
Good to see at least once. Some strange songs, but still good.
November 6, 2009
"this is not china!" --quote from the movie
October 7, 2009
Silliest movie exploiting Asian American actors. No way they would make it today as it would piss off MANAA and other Asian American media watchdog groups.
½ September 25, 2009
Examining the crossroads of second generation Chinese-Americans as they grapple with the heritage of their parents and the American culture of their friends, FLOWER DRUM SONG pays appropriate respects to both sides of the argument, crowning neither perspective as correct. The cast consists only of Asian and Asian-American actors, which is refreshing to see, and secured my crush on Nancy Kwan, despite her character being light on moral fiber and female independence. I feel it's profoundly important that the film, produced in Hollywood, doesn't demonize Eastern tradition, yet I feel like the film made the characters themselves polarized in their behavior, existing as either "Asian" or "American," with the rare character who reconciles both identities being shunned by the man she is interested in. Still, like THE WORLD OF SUZIE WONG, I believe that FLOWER DRUM SONG has only the noblest of intentions but falls into the era's trap of simplification and essentialization. The music was fairly weak, too, although the accompanying dance numbers saved them on numerous occasions.