Flowers in the Attic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Flowers in the Attic Reviews

April 14, 2016
Off to grandma's house we go in this chilling tale. Louise Fletcher makes Nurse Ratchet look like Mother Theresa.
½ February 23, 2016
This movie has some of the worst acting and directing to come out of the 80's. The overall story isn't great, but I feel it could have been if it was in the hands of better filmmakers. Didn't hate it, but I can't see myself watching it again anytime soon.
½ November 6, 2015
just OK version of this-book was way better
½ October 27, 2015
finally got to watch the classic...the movie itself was less than flattering but the storyline of a parent's betrayal was worth the watch.
½ July 12, 2015
A very low key poorly adapted thriller about a desperate mother re-connecting with her vicious, cruel & jealous grandmother.

The film is genuinely tense but moves so slow in the middle it's hard to keep interest.

The acting is appalling but the story does keep you guessing due to the strangeness of the characters. Quite creepy in many scenes but a good attempt but no Shinning.
June 28, 2015
I love the book, read it many times growing up. The movie does not stay true to its source, which is a real shame as the ending does ruin it.
It's kind of weak as adaptations go, I think it's a little miscast and it hasn't aged very well, either.
Kristy Swanson is an okay Cathy and the grandmother is also effective. The boys fail to convince and the mother is weak (her acting, I mean. Obviously the character is weak).
It is watchable and the story is so horrific it does draw you in.
I know another adaptation has been made and also one of the sequel, so I am very interested to see those and see if they were able to improve on this.
½ June 4, 2015
It has a dark atmosphere, which is a start, but the really thin plot ruins the whole thing.
½ April 8, 2015
What a horrible movie that was looked on so promisingly.
½ March 1, 2015
I understand that its not a faithful film, but the powerful performances and the creepiness of this film make up for all its faults. I have never heard of a story so smart and so shocking as this one before.
November 11, 2014
remember watching this when I was a kid,not to bad :-)
September 16, 2014
Louise Fletcher was perfectly cast for the grandmother role in this movie. Been decades since I read the book this is based on, but it seems to follow the storyline in the book as I remember it.
July 31, 2014
This movie is crazy! But at the same time it really kept my interest. It was pretty messed up situations but also a pretty good movie
½ July 27, 2014
Not a great movie but has some creepy moments and Louise Fletcher is at her evil best
June 18, 2014
The makers of this movie had, in fact, never read the book. At all. They didn't even get all of the names right, let alone the basic plot.
½ May 27, 2014
Book was WAY better... movie was flat.
May 23, 2014
how do we watch it??????
½ May 9, 2014
The worst movie I have ever seen. The part played by the mother of the children is a horrific actor in this movie. Painful to watch and boring as well.
May 6, 2014
The incest and child abuse story lines were played down in this movie, but the ending made up for other plot holes.
½ March 2, 2014
Loved the books in my youth. Movie offered a lighthearted condensed interpretation of the grief experienced by the children. You adapt and do what you must to survive.
February 18, 2014
After having watched both this version and the 2014 version close to one another, this one does not quite live up to the book, but still enjoy this one. Basically a mother takes her children to live with her parents while her father is dying in hopes of winning him back for marrying someone who isn't related to her. However, the kids can't be seen so no one knows they exist and they are poisoned to kill them off. The son and daughter begin to get close as in the book, but don't go farther than that. The ending on this was a little dumb and probably my least favorite part with the wedding and weird death. Otherwise a pretty interesting movie with nothing to do with the book. Probably most notable for Kristy Swanson as the daughter who would go on to be Buffy in the movie version.