Floyd Norman: An Animated Life Reviews

• Jun 28, 2018

This movie gave me everything I could want from a documentary. I learned new things, was entertained and found a role model. I was just passing through Netflix looking for something, anything and came across this film. It began slowly, with the usual talking heads motif, but Floyd Norman's attitude, talent and lack of filter began to grab my attention. Interest in Disney, Pixar and general animation is a plus, but not necessary to enjoy this movie. An Animated Life manages to give the viewer data on Floyd Norman, Disney's early animation years (while Walt Disney was still alive) and even what makes an artist. There are discussions on corporate employment that will surprise the viewer in their direction. These discussions are as real and as vital as Floyd Norman himself. This is a well-edited and directed movie. Of course, that the primary attraction becomes Floyd Norman which as the film says, is an animator, a storyteller and a troublemaker.

• Jun 08, 2018

An amazing story. Brought out some genuine emotions from me.

An amazing story. Brought out some genuine emotions from me.

• Mar 04, 2017

This movie will give you more than you expect. Yes, Floyd is Disney's first black hire. But that is nowhere near the whole story. He has been part of some of the most significant parts of animation. But that's not the whole story. You'll meet a man who has hit 80 and beyond, and still is the biggest kid in the industry while also remaining on the cutting edge when it comes to latest developments. And the story is told with live action and animation at the perfect pace. The only caveat? Be careful when you sip a drink as you watch! There are plenty of laughs along the way!

• Dec 30, 2016

The film doesn't feel as thorough an examination as one would want from a film about a Disney legend. B-

• Nov 12, 2016

Solidly enjoyable and uplifting view of a man who can serve as an inspiration for everyone when they reach 81. Had the privlidge of seeing it with Mr Norman himself and the filmmakers present. The pacing of the documentary is somewhat faltering towards the end and lost me twice, but overall an enjoyable watch. Must see for anyone looking at a profession in the arts. By the way, I'm left wondering whether Disney financed the film. Anyone care to weigh in on that one?

• Byron B Super Reviewer
    Sep 24, 2016

This is a lively documentary about the life of a great animator. It is a tribute to Floyd Norman that so many animators agreed to be interviewed to help tell his story often accompanied by classic Disney style animations to illustrate what life was like in the animators' offices. So many great snapshots of his time working for Disney and behind the scenes anecdotes. It is centered around Norman's 80th birthday celebration and he still has a sharp tongue and a sharp pen. It hurt when the company forced him to retire at 65, but he kept hanging around the offices and never really retired. He continues to inspire the younger generation.

• Sep 05, 2016

This is a wonderful documentary about Floyd Norman, a name that was new to many of us. His story is woven in a most interesting fashion eliciting laughter, empathy and offering much food for thought regarding ageism in the creative arts. Congratulations to the filmmakers on a well crafted and thoughtful film. Thank you to Floyd Norman for a peek into his career. He is an inspiration to all. This is a must see film for young and old! I thoroughly enjoyed it and continue to think about its message.

• Sep 05, 2016

I am amazed by Floyd's accomplishments and youthful, positive attitude in the midst of cutbacks, infuriating censorship, and the difficulties one has with finding steady work in the arts. I was drawn in by his warmth and honesty, and loved to see his humor come through his art! The film score, which seamlessly connects the audience to wonder, nostalgia, and history with occasional Jazz, highlighted and defined moments of Floyd's story, without ever overshadowing. The animations were perfect! How brilliant to show the process of firing and hiring within a company in this way, in particular! Subjects like losing employment can get pretty heavy, but the animation added creative levity while still being truthful. I also thought the way the film portrayed Floyd's first marriage, family, and second marriage was kind, truthful, and positive. Yes, Floyd Norman really is the Forrest Gump of animation! What a fascinating life, full of remarkable experiences and people, all around.

• Sep 04, 2016

I loved it. I'm still thinking about it. He is appreciated . Much respect

I loved it. I'm still thinking about it. He is appreciated . Much respect

• Sep 04, 2016

A brilliant look into the world and life of a great animator - fabulous documentary.