Flytrap Reviews

• Jan 29, 2019

Stephen David Brooks sits behind the yolk of the shrewdly presented Flytrap, a wonderfully weird science fiction-horror hybrid that utilizes a full understanding of craft to effectively defy the high-budget expectations consumers have been conditioned to expect within blockbuster genres. Brooks' film tells the tale of an English astronomer who finds himself in that always-weird middle ground between hostage-taking and love-making. Veering slightly more towards science fiction than its horror elements would have you believe, Brooks enters that highly competitive and arguably constipated arena and leaves victorious after displaying all the tools inherent in great indie storytelling: He's kept his volume of characters and shooting locations efficiently minimized, and what remains instead are great actor performances within a cohesiveness of set design that together empower his clever story to be told well. Flytrap plays on the mind with great effectiveness. It's a mood-shifter film that brings us to a different mental space that the one we first entered with popcorn in hand. Ultimately, it's an engrossing film and no doubt will find serious devotees within its wider audience.

• Jan 22, 2019

FLYTRAP is a low budget film, no doubt about that, but if you watch this film with that in mind it's really enjoyable! Of course you can't compare every flick out there with Hollywood, but is that needed? And do we even want that? I enjoyed the filmmaker's effort to create a different kind of sci fi film. It is unique and scary at times. Give it a try!

• Jan 20, 2019

Classic science fiction story with a creative concept. The film was entertaining and well executed. Highly recommended!

• Jan 10, 2018

ohmygosh; i couldn't finish it. the acting is horrific -- & not in a good way.

ohmygosh; i couldn't finish it. the acting is horrific -- & not in a good way.

• Nov 26, 2017

There's something ambitiously simplistic about Brooks' Flytrap. Rather than overreaching with a small budget, the writer/director wisely chose to create a contained thriller that never tries to be more than it is, but always feels urgent. Though there aren't many characters in this film, Flytrap manages to make our entire planet feel at stake - an impressive feat when you consider that high dollar blockbusters that depict our planet actually being destroyed rarely elicit the same response.

• Aug 04, 2017

Atmospheric. Interesting watch.

Atmospheric. Interesting watch.

• Jun 09, 2017

A thinking person's sci-fi flick. With just enough humour to take the creepy edge off. Goes to show what a talented bunch can do.

• Jun 09, 2017

Interesting low budget film with limited locations. Typically, I'm bored within a few minutes by this kind of film, but something drew me in.Smart dialogue, unique story, good acting and nicely shot. 'there but for the grace of god' kind of thing. slow burning creeper with a sense of humor. I'll keep my eyes open for the sequel!