Follow Me, Boys! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Follow Me, Boys! Reviews

½ June 10, 2017
(First and only viewing - In my mid-twenties)
September 25, 2015
Solid, Heartwarming, and an absolute delight, with the main character a gentleman, not an indecent scumbag.
June 16, 2015
Exclent all around family movie. Lots of great acting by the whole cast. Lillian Gish plays the seeming eccentric rich old lady does a fantastic role, drops the small towns folks jaws when she testifies in her defence in court.
January 31, 2015
A great childhood film I will never forget. It also inspires one to more civic duty.
October 10, 2014
★★★ (out of four)
½ January 24, 2014
Apparantly, I'm the only person on here to ever have seen this film. Nice.

Film is a big word for this patching quilt of sketches, songs and dance numbers, thinly tied together by a plot about a fictional actor who becomes the driving force behind the USO shows during WW II.

The movie is little more than a USO show on tape, designed to boost morale of the troops and convince people at home to buy warbonds. About every contract star at Universal appears in it, which means you have some timeless stars (Marlene Dietrich, Orson Welles, WC Fields, The Andrew Sisters, Dinah Shore, etc) appearing next to people who were popular for 15 minutes back then, but no one remembers now (though I did enjoy the dude with his amazing dog show, I can see how that must have been a winner).

Anyway, it's not a movie really, look at it as a talent show, with exceptionally talented people, and then it's really a fun show to watch.
½ November 14, 2013
A classic American wholesome story about the scouts in America at the time.

Filled with many cliches this film is likeable & charming especially the supporting performance from Lillian Gish as the towns nosey & busy body.

I believe it's Kurt Russell's first film & he is utterly fantastic as the young troubled kid.

It's very predictable & a little corny but I found it well made & thoroughly interesting film.
July 21, 2013
Great movie and plug for the Boy Scouts of America
November 11, 2012
I strongly disagree with the posted review concerning this movie. It is a good wholesome, family oriented, moral, worthwhile movie for parents interested in exposing their children to something other than sci-fi or action heroes (who usually aren't very heroic). It has a theme and a plot and good/bad characters, and yes, the good wins out over the bad, but isn't that what we want our children to learn! I grew up watching these movies; my children grew up watching these movies; my grandchild will grow up watching these movies. Only a cynic or a sociopath could seriously find fault with them. They are children's movies. If he missed his chance when he was a kid I'm sorry, but he has no business reviewing he didn't learn to appreciate at the right time of his life.
May 31, 2012
"Follow Me, Boys!" is a Disney film which managed to evade me. I have just watched it for the first time and it's movies like this that are the very reason why I love cinema so much. This is an absolutely fantastic flick. I have always loved Frederick MacMurray and his films such as The Egg & I, Double Indemnity and Dive Bomber have been staple favourites for a long time. Having now seen Follow Me Boys it's clear that we have a new contender. He is just so good. He plays a travelling jazz musician on tour who decides to pack it all in for the quiet life. Arriving in a small town he soon finds himself volunteering to be a scout leader to help keep the rowdy kids off the street. His commitment soon becomes a lifestyle and before he knows it the whole town respects and idolises him. His wife... is played by Vera Miles who is not only dead-set gorgeous in the film but she is also amazing. It's probably one of her most understated performances. If you catch this some time, pay attention to her subtle expressions. This was also Kurt Russell's first Disney contract film at the age of 13 and he is also solid and affective. Watching this also struck me with it's similarities to Mr Holland's Opus (or rather the other way around). A VERY similar formula with almost all the same hallmarks."Follow Me, Boys!" is a loving salute to the Boy Scouts of America that's impossible to resist. It certainly kept me smiling for it's entire 130 minute length. Well worth the purchase!
May 14, 2012
April 10, 2012
Sentimental Disney film is cute but overlong. (P.S. The Rotten Tomatoes synopsis is for the 1944 musical, which had absolutely nothing to do with this film.)
February 26, 2012
It's a bit sappy, especially for today,but it does give you a fond yearning for yesteryear. This used to be long demanded before it was on DVD, with premium prices paid for a used VHS.
October 11, 2010
This movie is your typical Disney live action - a little too sacharine at times, but enjoyable nonetheless. A few (very) small gripes... the movie is too long. Each generation of scout troop's story could almost be an individual movie in itself, although they do all build up to an over-sentimental ending that I confess I was slightly moved by. Also, I genuinely love Fred MacMurray, but at 58 he was far too old to be playing Don Juan, wooing 37 year old Vera Miles! That said, as they age the relationship between MacMurray and Miles is fairly convincing and touching. Being a movie from the 60s, there are some awful stereotypes and cliches - particularly the drunken Irish father of one particular scout. That scout is played by a very young Kurt Russel - which was an interesting bonus!
August 7, 2010
Story: A musician named Lem Siddons takes a job as a clerk in a general store. While at the same time instilling values in the local boys, becomes scoutmaster for the local boy scout troop, troop 1. Later on the boys stumble upon a war game and Lem is mistaken for a war spy and treated as a POW. I'll let you see what happens next.

Characters: The entire cast was great and well acted. also, the main character is played by Kurt Russel.

Humor: Even though this is a drama, it has a few funny scenes, but not much.

Overall: Follow Me, Boys! is a classic and heartwarming family drama. If you're looking a good movie to watch with your wife and children, you should check this one out!
June 5, 2010
Very charming movie about ideal world.
½ May 15, 2010
Great movie and one I hope most kids will see at some point. Watched it alot when i was growing up
½ January 29, 2010
Not a perfect movie, but mostly sweet, with lessons of bravery and love.
October 23, 2009
Extra star for this one.