Follow Me, Boys! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Follow Me, Boys! Reviews

October 4, 2009
I'm a Scoutmaster, I have to love this movie! ;-)
½ August 15, 2009
This was a really good movie! I especially enjoyed the first part of it.
August 8, 2009
It is inspiring to anyone involved with Scouting and also Fred MacMurray and Vera Miles' best movies.
April 1, 2009
Very fun if you're in Scouting, otherwise a poignant reminder of traditional American values of citizenship, the outdoors, family, integrity, and service (and the Scout Law, of course). Yes, the middle is muddled, but hang in there for the inevitable heartwarming ending. DVD has reminiscences from a few of the child actors (but not Kurt Russell, unfortunately).
½ February 13, 2009
An enjoyable old Disney movie with a young Kurt Russell in the lead with Fred MacMurry as his scoutleader and ultimately his adoptive dad. Sweet and sentimental favorite of mine from my childhood.
February 5, 2009
If you were ever a scout, you'll enjoy this movie. IF you weren't a scout, watch the movie and you'll wish you have a do-over.
December 17, 2008
No one let's you down in this film. Acting is first rate as is the heart-warming story. And the war games are good fun.
½ November 29, 2008
There's a lot to like in this movie. It has great heart, and some great performances. It really captures the great 40s small town mythology. But it's way too long, and lacks unity. They movie should have ended with the first scout troop.
November 28, 2008
A wonderful Disney classic! Featuring Fred MacMurray, and a young Kurt Russell. Inspiring movie!
August 14, 2008
One of the best movies ever made. What a message!!! I still shed a tear at the end. This is what Scouting is all about. If you have not seen this movie, and you are a scout leader, get it and watch it.
June 15, 2008
This is my favorite movie ever. It has a positive outlook on scouting and helping others. So what if it is a bit unrealistic at times. We don't watch movies to be in the real world, we watch them to escape.
½ May 9, 2008
Terrible, but a classic in its genre
April 6, 2008
I really feel this movie is about 40 minutes too long. The story takes a weird twist in the 2nd half that was, in my opinion, very weak. On the plus side, though, Lilian Gish and Kurt Russell's acting performance was amazing.
March 11, 2008
a great classic and great music.
March 6, 2008
"Ralph stop chewing your finger nails!"
February 22, 2008
definately one of my favorite movies!!!!
February 11, 2008
A movie every Boy Scout, both current and former, should see at least once in their life.
½ February 8, 2008
8 February has been a bad day for me for 25 years, now. I can tell you some pretty exact details about 8 February, 1983, if you care to hear them, though I'm sure you don't. It's the day my dad died, and since I'm emotionally unstable to begin with, I don't think I will ever stop handling this day badly. In fact, now I think about it, this isn't the smartest movie in the world for me to be watching today, given that there's the death of a much-beloved father in it. Still, this is one of my mom's favourite movies, so here we are.

Lemuel Siddons (Fred MacMurray) has been, for an unknown number of years, touring with "Melody Murphy's Collegiates," a (probably) Dixieland band. They haven't, as Lem puts it to Melody, been collegiates for quite some time. He tells Melody that, the first honest job someone offers him, he'll take. So when they see a "help wanted" sign in Hickory, (probably) Illinois (they mention having to get to Chicago before dark), Lem takes it, not least because he sees a pretty woman in the bank that he thinks he can hit it off with. As part of his effort to woo her, he ends up also becoming the first-ever troopleader of Hickory's first ever Boy Scout troop. The whole rest of the movie involves his decades of service.

This is not a great movie by any means, but it's far better than a lot of other Disney movies from its era. (It was made in 1966.) For one thing, Lillian Gish is in it. It's the final film role, though he did several television appearances after it, of one of the old mainstays of Disney, film in general, and this journal Charles Ruggles. Actually, quite a lot of its stars have appeared here before; Vera Miles, who plays Vida Simmons, was in [i]Psycho[/i], for heaven's sake, and it's one of Kurt Russell's first film appearances as the defiant Whitey. Not to mention Fred MacMurray, who's put in more appearances here than practically anyone else, and we've got plenty of his movies yet to go.

There are some amazingly funny sequences in this; the best is in the 1944 section, wherein the troop captures a tank during war games that happen around their camping spot. There are also dramatic sequences, such as Whitey's pain over his alcoholic father. There's the running gag of Lem's inability to tie a sheepshank. There is the odd fact that half the boys in town seem to own no other clothes than their Boy Scout uniforms, while quite a lot of the other boys never seem to wear theirs. Also, the characters' aging is handled very well, and the actors chosen to play the kids after they've grown up actually tend to look like the actors playing the kids do--though, of course, grown-up Whitey looks nothing like grown-up Kurt Russell, though we couldn't've known that then.

This is one of the more obscure Disney movies, which I first saw lo, these many years ago, when the Disney Channel played their old stuff. (For that rant, see practically any other review of a live-action Disney movie from this era.) It's a shame it isn't better-known, since it's better-made than a lot of the others. I keep failing to watch [i]The Ugly Dachshund[/i] in its Hallmark Channel appearances, but they never play this one.
February 7, 2008
Funny Disney family movie. I always remembered this one for its positive protrayal of Scouting. Yeah, there is a hokey part about the 3/4 of the way in (the war games stuff), but the rest is classic disney movie magic.
January 22, 2008
Heart warming thank you movie for all who donate their lives to Boy Scouts.