Fong Sai Yuk (The Legend) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fong Sai Yuk (The Legend) Reviews

September 22, 2015
This was one of the first Jet Li films I recall seeing way back in the early days of DVD, and I still have a special place in my heart for it to this very day. Amazing martial arts action, and something any action fan should track down.

Recommended.
July 13, 2015
First off, I watched the Mirimax re-edited version of this film on Netflix, so it's not the original Hong Kong version of the film, which I remember being much more playful and funny. Like Mirimax's other re-edits of HK martial arts classics, they removed most of the political elements, removed much of the comedy (which admittedly leads to an inconsistent tone in a lot of HK martial arts films, but is somewhat of a trademark of the films and why fans like them), added an english dub track (which I know if heretical but I do believe an intellectual argument can be made for dubbing over subtitles, which I will gladly debate with anyone at another time) and a more serious/American of musical score. Back to this film in particular, this was the first film that Jet Lit worked with director/action choreographer Corey Yuen (who American audiences would know from is work on the Transporter films "X-Men" and most of Jet Li's American film work including "Lethal Weapon 4," "Kiss the Dragon," "The Expendables" and the underrated "Romeo Must Die." Jet Li plays the Chinese folk hero Wong Fei-hung, kind of a Chinese equivalent of Robin Hood, although Wong was a real-life person who is reputed to have protected the weak and poor from both criminal gangs and government forces in China in the mid 1800s. In this oft told story has Fong Sai Yuk and his family get caught up in an underground movement to oust the greedy governor. His mom is particularly colorful. Overall, this is a terrific martial arts film and is essential viewing for fans of the genre.
½ March 8, 2015
THE STORY IS FUN AND A JOY TO WATCH. WITH SOME OF JET LI'S HIGH ACTION MARTIAL ARTS THAT IS BLEND OF COMEDY AND FAST ACTION MOVES.
½ December 4, 2014
Review:
This movie was terrible. The acting is appalling, along with the script which became hard on the ears after a while. To be honest, I didn't know what was going on from one scene to the next because I lost interest very early in the film. I did like Jet Li's mum but I didn't like Jet Li playing a comedic role. The fight scenes were soooooo over exaggerated and the storyline was all over the place. It seemed like the characters were fighting for no reason most of the time and Jet Li's mum just couldn't help poking her nose into her son's business. At the end of the day, it's a badly directed movie with a bad concept and I'm surprised that they made a sequel. Disappointing!

Round-Up:
I think that the director was attempting a Jackie Chan type comedy with this movie, but he done a really bad job. Personally I prefer the earlier Kung Fu movies which don't use all of the wire trickery or the crazy flying techniques. Anyway the love story was ridiculous and Jet Li's silly face expressions really became tedious after a while. On top of that, you've got this annoying soundtrack which really doesn't help matters. On the plus side, it does look authentic and the mum did crack me up in a few scenes, but I did end up falling asleep.

Budget: N/A
Worldwide Gross: HK$30.6million

I recommend this movie to people who are into their Jet Li movies about a man fighting for justice to save his family and his love ones. 1/10
June 6, 2014
vähän sekava kung fu komedia
March 13, 2014
Nice movie with great fighting scenes but also with a lot of humour.
May 4, 2013
This film has one of the broadest spectrums I have ever seen in a martial arts film. For a start, it has a plot that's worth paying attention to, and the direction is just beautiful.The choreography in some of the fight scenes is perfect, but the characterisation shows through even when the actors are performing some of the most complicated stunts I've ever seen. The comedy stands up all the way through and on into the sequel (which is equally as brilliant). In short, in my opinion, a masterpiece. If you haven't seen it, see it. Now.
½ April 3, 2013
Couple of plot holes but some great martial arts sequences (blindfolded sword fight and saving his mom on top of the log pile)
January 20, 2013
Love this film and love jet li
December 7, 2012
Will have to repeat viewing i cant recall.
½ November 3, 2012
I can't help but feel like this would be a great double feature with Yuen Wo Ping's Iron Monkey. This is, in my opinion, the second best Jet Li flick behind Fist of Legend.
½ October 31, 2012
Really Legend of the Swordsman 2, this was one of Li's weaker flicks, though he himself is great.
October 23, 2012
I had bought this on dvd and hadn't wached it til now. Silly jokes, slapstick humor and general messiness of the story make this otherwise funny kung-fu comedy a bit tedious. Besides, there is a scene at the start of the movie where a man riding a horse falls off a bridge- the horse is a toy horse, one can easily see how it doesn't move its legs or anything. It looked so ridiculous that it had a bad effect on the whole film. The humor is otherwise fun. The kung-fu scenes are also well done except that they are too gravity-defying for my taste. The same melodrama is also present, and goes a bit overboard, which I have often seen in chinese kung-fu films. It wasn't that bad of a kung-fu film but I will not want to see it again..
½ October 2, 2012
Stunning Martial Arts Epic, Which Features Some Great Slapstick. Corey Yuen (Fight Chroeographer Transporter Trilogy) Directs, Jet Li Stars As Fong Sai Yuk. Sai Yuk Is A Young Man Who Loves A Good Fight. The New Emporer Is Causing A Divide Between The Chinese Nation, Is His Own People (Manderin) & Sai Yuk's (Cantonese). A Battle Ensues Against The Govener Of The Territory As He Destroy's Yuk's People & Possibly Even His Father. Li's Performance Is Excellent. While The Action Scenes Are Beautifully Choreographed And Shot.
June 5, 2012
great movie... not into sub-title movies, but this is a good one to see in the voice of Chinese w/ the English subtitles...
½ April 21, 2012
I love al of his movies!
April 19, 2012
Quite possibly the best martial arts film I've ever seen. Jet Li is beyond amazing in this movie.
January 16, 2012
Love this film and love jet li
December 17, 2011
Another great flick powered by Jet Li masterful kung-fu, perhaps better balanced in the comedic first half than in the more serious second one, with the wonderful team-up with Josephine Siao. Again, stellar action sequences, I'd never stop to watch.
shitfaced8
½ November 7, 2011
Pretty decent Kung Fu flick starring Jet Li. The evil Manchu clan is threatened by an underground rebel secret society called 'The Red Flower Society' who rep the Han's. Meanwhile a young Kung Fu master has fallen for the governors daughter, but must compete in a competition to win her hand in marriage. Although he loses initially, using some less than honest methods, he wins the honour regardless. But do to familial and political issues shit hits the fan, and he and his family find themselves right in the middle of the political upheavel. Pretty good overall, with a good story and plentiful and excellent fight scenes, I did think the romantic comedy-esque elements could have been toned down a lot. I felt that it brought down what otherwise would have been a really good martial arts / historical drama. Ah well, it is what it is, and that is a complaint I have for a lot of the martial arts movies that were coming out at this time. Still a very solid effort and worth a watch for fans of Martial Arts films.