Fong Sai Yuk (The Legend) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fong Sai Yuk (The Legend) Reviews

½ November 2, 2011
Ranges from jovial comedy to martial arts slapstick to almost Shakespearean farce to moving drama to cliffhanging suspense, and does all of them well enough to recommend.
November 2, 2011
Jet Li at his best and one of my favourite things about my childhood. I remember Fong Sai-yuk being a cheeky, smooth and exceptionally talented fighter, you will fall in love both with his boyish charm, easy badass-ery and his ridiculously cool, hilarious, bone-breaking and long-suffering mother (Josephine Siao / Xiao Fang Fang). This movie will make you laugh till you spit out anything you were eating / drinking instead of focusing all your energy on this movie, and make you cry so hard too. Outrageously creative action scenes that shame 99% of movies made today. I need to watch it again. One of my favourite movies in the entire world. I'm so glad someone reminded me about it today.
August 12, 2011
This is one of my top favorite martial arts movie directed by Director Corey Yuen and starring from Jet Li and Vincent Zhao,two wushu champion.The story is good,it's more about romance and family than action but when it came to action,it was very exciting(if you like wire works martial movie) and Perfect choices of background musics..I guess Vincent Zhao is fit to play a villain more than a good guy.

Rating Updates:4.5* rise up to 5*
Review Updates:Re-watch in old VCD version,the audio is much more better than the DVD(Even it's original Hong Kong version).:)
½ May 17, 2011
What more can I say? Jet Li=truly amazing in these historical pieces.
½ October 25, 2010
Any FONG SAI YUK movie is a recommendation from The Shaun!
October 4, 2010
Nineties martials arts from Jet Li at the peak of his ability, featuring some inventive fight scenes. Li is the son of the Emperor fighting to protect him and for the hand in marriage of a businessman's daughter. The action is impressive - although uses a lot of wire work - but the plot is rather run-of-the-mill and not a funny as it thinks it is.
August 29, 2010
Meh Jet Li's done better...
½ June 29, 2010
Entertainingly silly chop socky comedy with the marvellous Jet Li. My favourite sequence was at the athletics challenge when our hero completely clears the long jump pit from a standing start (because he sees an ant wandering around near the jump off and stops to save it). He then goes on to win a relay from like five miles behind, running so fast his queue is pulled horizontal by the slipstream. Any baddie who offers his daughter in marriage to the first man to beat his wife at kung fun can't be all bad surely...? And so it proves to be. The version I saw had overdubbed English dialogue which added to its wonky charm.
½ May 30, 2010
My favorite Jet Li film.
½ March 29, 2010
one of the best. an emotional roller-coaster, as you'd expect, it's all over the place. eye-popping fights and good cast. Jet Li shines. The comic-like style is punctuated with wire-fu shot by shot like comic panels and it works very well.
½ February 23, 2010
Good old school Kung Fu. Wire is often visible. Humorous.
½ February 21, 2010
Nice humour comedy, cool fights but annoying scenes at times:/
DragonEyeMorrison
February 15, 2010
Great fight sequences, great cast, the humour is a bit too much here. The usual slapstick stuff of early 90s that it's either a hit or miss. Overall this is very much worth a check, but not as good as i was expecting. The sequel seems to be better.
January 15, 2010
This is a good martial arts film. The movie stars Jet Li. One of his early films before he went over to Hollywood to make movies. The movie has a solid story and great action and fight sequences. You get to see why Jet Li is so great at these type of films. He has a nice blend of the story, action and acting to make a good martial arts film. You can tell he takes elements from Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan movies and makes them his own. If your a Jet Li fan then check this movie out.
December 18, 2009
Excellent Jet Li movie with it's mix of comedy and martial arts. The sequel is also well worth watching.
½ November 10, 2009
At its best, it's like a live-action "Ranma 1/2" with over-the-top action and plenty of laugh-out-loud moments. At its occasional worst, it takes itself too seriously trying to tell a historical drama. One of my favorite martial arts movies.
November 5, 2009
My all time favorite Kung-Fu movie hands down. Jet Li just dominates
½ September 21, 2009
Brilliant! No CG, just bloomin' great camera work and choreography. So what if you can see the wires, never did Thunderbirds any harm. ;-)