Food of Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Food of Love Reviews

June 8, 2012
Not sure. Need to see it again
August 15, 2011
Seemed to be going somewhere really interesting (despite the ineptitude of the lead actor), but about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way through, I don't know what happened, maybe the producers got scared, but it just spiraled into vapidity. Hadn't realized it was based on a Leavitt book, and now very curious to see whether the original was more courageous... still, it gets points just for treating several things in a way which I don't think I've seen in films before.
June 25, 2011
"Food Of Love" refers to sexual desire but would anyone be interested in such a milquetoast guy (Paul) played blandly by Kevin Bishop. He almost ruins the movie. Juliet Stevenson plays his dependent mother, Pamela, who basically has to "out" him so he can communicate with her. She's the best actor in the movie and the only character you can relate to. It's a shame that in a gay movie, none of the male leads are people you'd want to hang out with. Blame the screenwriter and director, Ventura Pons, who gives the characters wooden dialogue and directs the melodrama like a daytime soap.

Based on the novel "The Page Turner" by David Leavit, you are left to wonder what's so special about the story. A gay teen aspires to be a classical pianist, falls in love with his mentor, and shuns his mother as he comes to terms with himself. The scenes of Barcelonia are wonderful and the art direction and photography give the movie some charm. When he's told that he'll never be a pianist and a page turner is not a career, you go "aha, this guy's a loser."
June 5, 2011
Not sure. Need to see it again
April 2, 2011
mixed reviews. willing to give it a try.
½ December 12, 2010
Food of Love is not an appropriate title for this movie because love is not the issue here: it is hate. At least that is what I gather because the melodramatics are a little over the top. The most glaring problem this film has is that is doesn't offer any characters that I'm willing to actually like. They all do things that are just worng and when the central character goes all 'diva' and starts talking to his mother as if he is an abusive husband, well, that's about the time the film seemed to overstayed its welcome. It isn't a bad film but because it seems to have bad people in spades and because of that I found myself unwilling to invest anything in the characters. The music, however, was top notch.
September 8, 2010
An interesting drama on the themes of awakening sexual identity, first love, hopeless romantic crushes and overbearing mothers. Good performances and solidly written. I bought the DVD.
February 27, 2010
good movie with good story line
September 23, 2009
Kevin Bishop is much better in almost everything else he's ever done. Despite the dodgy acting it's a nice little lgb film.
½ July 8, 2009
A page turner who falls in love with a classical pianist. Be warned they're both men.
½ June 28, 2009
I really enjoyed this film. There were many flaws though. The acting seemed disjointed, especially the lead character. The mother was really way over the top, I wish she would have been just a little more tame. The ending was really way open. So, much so that I almost rated this lower
½ June 9, 2009
irritating. i didn't know anything about this film and the whole gay seduction of the 18 year old therefore was a shock. juliet stevenson plays the irritating mother to a T but i don't think the others were meant to be so slappable
½ April 6, 2009
Fair overall although I don't like the film turning from quite a decent homo love story into some kind of coming-of-age/ coming-out cliche from the middle. And the ending was so abruptly & confusingly wrapped up. Kevin Bishop is wonderful & properly fits for his character. Juliet Stevenson is good as always too. And Paul Rhys... wow... his face was so heavily made up.
½ March 16, 2009
Paul, a handsome and talented music student is employed as the page-turner at one of the world famous pianist Kennington's concerts in San Francisco. Not only is Paul diligent but also extremely attractive, a fact noticed by Kennington and his agent Mansourian, two men at the top of their chosen careers. Kennington and Paul meet again in Barcelona, where the boy is on holiday with his mother, Pamela, who is trying to get over her husband leaving her. Paul and Kennington fall in love but this has very different implications for both men. Kennington rushes back home escaping from commitment. Pamela, meanwhile, begins to recover her self-confidence but Paul is no longer a child. Back in the United States Paul learns that his musical career is not going to progress as desired; he simply is not talented enough. Paul and Pamela will learn through their living experience how to build a deeper relationship.
½ January 22, 2009
Decent film plot...But man...COULD NOT STAND the main character or the love interest! So irritating! Juliet Stevenson was great though...and her character was supposed to be the annoying one. She needed saving from a horrible son, not the other way around.
January 3, 2009
I agree with most of the comments.
Who was using who? Who was lying to who? Yes what was he to gain by slutting around with all of these men.Poor Paul isn't,"Special."
January 2, 2009
I agree with most of these reviews. The point of this movie is what? The movie itself was enjoyable until the end. I figured that storylines would be comcluded, but they are all left loose. Good acting for a "gay" movie.
½ December 6, 2008
So the point is what? Figuring out you're not that special while going from one middle-aged man to another? I'd say skip this one.
½ September 10, 2008
Manjar de Amor
La reuniĆ³n de madres es impagable.
½ August 22, 2008
Can anybody explain me the sense of this movie???