Foolish Wives - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Foolish Wives Reviews

November 29, 2008
If you think silent film acting is all overblown, histrionic gestures, take a look at von Stroheim's performance: he invests each glance and gesture with a wonderfully amoral subtlety. His character seems capable of committing any kind of evil act if it will forward his designs--which makes him such a wonderful, and ultimately likable villain. It's sad to think how much of this film was lost due to cuts on the part of the studio and censors.
November 3, 2008
a fine example of early cinema at its best. von stroheim directorial debut is not as good as greed but still a great film. he plays the title character who is a complete scumbag and does it fantasticaly. the early techniques with light and filters are also quite revolutionary. make sure to rent kino's restored 2 1/2 hour version
½ September 17, 2008
Really really cool. Yes Von Stroheim is everywhere here in a bit of a self indulgent way but this movie has that subtextual perverse nature about it that some silent films can get that are so unique. Pretty messed up stuff here. Is a little slow at parts but it's not if you consider that Von Stroheim wanted a 6-10 hour cut of this. Other than that, really good movie with several moments and shots that really stood out.
December 26, 2007
parfaitement d├ęcadent.
½ December 15, 2007
When I finished this film, I said, "Man, that was like taking a bath in a tub of rotten caviar." I'm not sure what I meant by that, but this movie kicks ass. Despite the obvious cinematic genius on display, it's best to think of this film as a summation of the 19th century Decadent movement, with its obscene extravagance and luxury; like the poisonous books produced during that time, Stroheim's cinema is terribly bad for you, but tastes real good. The whole movie is a half-crazed, insane riposte to conventional morality and conventional cinema, and it's impossible not to get swept up by the vile schemes of the central character, who like all great villains does evil largely for its own sake. In the end, it might not be as good as Greed (what is?), but it's close enough.
October 28, 2007
The most dangerous and attractive "bad guy".
October 21, 2007
The bad guys fall hard in this one.
½ October 5, 2007
This one seemed way too long and the music never changes. I understand it's a silent film, but come on.
September 4, 2007
ach ich liebe dich meine foolisch
August 30, 2007
An alright film, seemed rather cheesy-romance novel like to me though story wise. Otherwise, good use of technique for the day.
½ July 7, 2007
This could have been one of the best American movies of the silent era, as it stands its still an alright film, although the studio and censorship edits become more painfully obvious as the film progresses, right up to the "what just happened" ending. Still worth watching for silent film fans, like myself, who can't seem to get enough of these movies.
½ July 2, 2007
A beautiful reconstruction of Erich von Stroheim's classic silent feature. Publicized as the first film to cost a million dollars, "Foolish Wives" was at once praised for its extravagant visual design and condemned for its portrayal of a rogue count'...
June 19, 2007
An acquired taste but well worth the effort
June 13, 2007
Amazing movie. Very serious, which is a rarity for silent films, and very interesting.
June 13, 2007
Obsessive attention to detail does pay off sometimes.
April 24, 2007
yeahwives are foolish esp in the olden days... we are not slaves to men.. make them do their own laundry and cook their own food... for they can wear smelly clothes and starve or become obese over fast food... ahhahah
September 20, 2006
It's very good but way too long. The moive could of ended an hour earlier than it actually did. But it is von Stroheim doing what he does best, playing a man who seduces American women. It's good, it's decent.