Footloose - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Footloose Reviews

June 18, 2016
Painful to watch. Well done and well intentioned but never took off, and the female character rendered entirely one dimensional.
Why would they remake this movie.
April 28, 2016
An enjoyable and entertaining ride. Glad I sat for it.
½ March 25, 2016
Classics cannot be remade!!!! This is one classic that cannot be remade!!!
March 1, 2016
All the right moves

Reinforcing the concept of living an unbridled life to the fullest, 27 years after the original launched Kevin Bacon as a teen icon, the foot-tapping classic Footloose dances its way into a new generation of hearts.

After his mother's passing due to cancer, teenager Ren McCormack (Kenny Wormald) is transplanted from big city Boston to the tiny bible-belt town of Bomont, Georgia to live with his Uncle Wes (Ray McKinnon) and family.

A drastic southern culture shock, the former gymnast and avid dancer is astounded by Bomont's arcane laws brought in three years earlier when the small community was rocked by a tragically fatal accent and the death of five teenagers after a night on the town.

The local councilmen influenced by their beloved spiritual leader who's son was in the accident, Reverend Shaw Moore (Dennis Quaid) responded by implementing ordinances that abolished all public dancing and loud music, and imposed curfews for all teenagers.

With his eyes on the town's teens, his unruly Ariel (Julianne Hough) is determined to make others forget she's the overbearing preacher's daughter by shamelessly flaunting herself to rough race car driver Chuck Cranston (Patrick John Flueger).

Ren's presence shakes local resolve and becomes an easy target. Reprimanded for music, his attitude and drugs, the rebellious attraction to the wild Ariel is instant. Not one to yield to the status quo, the tenacious Ren will bring some life back to this constantly-mourning town. Challenging the ban, the town and Reverent Shaw, there was a time for the town's strict laws but now it's his time to Dance.

Determined to invoke the same passion that made the original so memorable, Director Craig Brewer (Hustle and Flow) saw no need in reinventing the wheel. Tweaking the storylines, updating pop-culture references and reworking some of the more memorable tunes, he was able to stick to the core of what made the first film fun (including the clothes in a wonderfully retro look).

Electrically littered with musical sequences, the originals seamless transitions from heavy metal to Memphis blues and country is a little lost under a modern krump-like vibrant choreography. Highly evident during the infamous 'angry dance' where the music, emotion and dancing just don't match.

Fighting tooth and nail not to compare, in regards to the acting and portrayal of some characters it is warranted. Wormald is decent in his own right, but lacks the cheekiness of Bacon; Hough doesn't have the conviction of Lori Singer's Ariel, pushing the character rather than being her; Quaid is stiff, unsatisfactorily missing John Lithgow's mark as a caring self righteous protector and coming across as sanctimonious.

That said, newcomer Miles Teller replacing Chris Penn as Ren's best friend Willard is wonderful. Delivering the same well timed the comic relief and genuine feel of "I can't dance" lack of coordination to the role. Andie MacDowell stands in for Dianne West as Vi Moore and Ray McKinnon gets a meatier version of Uncle Wes. There are also some modern political corrections that feel affected.

The Verdict: Not as impassioned; the sweet parable about parents slowly letting go of their hold on their children is timeless and doesn't feel out of place. It doesn't desecrate the originals memory but it doesn't have the subtle natural flow that made it work either.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 07/10/2011
February 4, 2016
This is one of my most favorite movies, It's one of those movies you can watch hundreds of times without it feeling old or repetitive, It has everything you would want in a movie great characters an easy to follow plot and a great soundtrack. I suggest if you haven't seen this movie that you should check it out you won't be disappointed
½ January 31, 2016
Choreography is good. That's about it.
December 22, 2015
42/100 - In a world full of unnecessary remakes, Footloose is but another statistic. It has some fresh takes on the original's premise, adding more realism to this somewhat out-there plot. There's also some decent performances from Miles Teller and Dennis Quaid, but on the whole this isn't really worth your time if you didn't care for the original. It's pretty much the exact same movie, aside from a few changes that don't really do anything inventive.
½ December 17, 2015
I didn't want to like it,I hate when they remake Iconic Films. I felt a bit like I was cheating on Kevin Bacon, but my friend, I was surprised to enjoy it so much
½ October 22, 2015
I wonder if it will be as good as thw origonal?
½ August 31, 2015
Surprisingly, the story is told better for a new generation. The lead is a decent replacement for Bacon, and the rest of the cast, especially Quaid, is fantastic. Hell, the dancing may even be better in this one!
½ August 18, 2015
It's like the original, but with a worse story line and terrible acting & music.
½ August 16, 2015
This one is not the same fourm the old one
½ July 23, 2015
Aunque se siente un poco innecesaria, la película toma los elementos más importantes de la original y le añade un giro fresco a la trama.
½ July 19, 2015
Footloose was a legendary masterpiece when it was first released - this is simply a copycat spawn of that which mirrors the story pretty much line for line. The only bits that differ are the introduction which show the death of the reverends son, that instigates the ban on music and partying, the chicken race which is on buses instead of tractors, and the soundtrack which takes the original classics, and slows them up so they're barely recognisable. To give it its dues, why would you tamper with a winning formula? Having said that, no risk equals no reward and thus this will only be a copycat version that will only ever live in the shadows. The dance scenes are perhaps a little more lively and choreographed with people who can actually bust a move, but the young cast are made up of relative unknowns. Only Dennis Quaid and a token role for Andie McDowell (of 'Is it raining? I hadn't noticed' fame) are the familiar faces for me, yet it is reasonably well performed. It's just a tad too predictable when the script hardly differs from the 80's version, and it just somehow doesn't seem as punchy when Lori Singer and Kevin Bacon aren't speaking it. I still enjoyed seeing this given I was a fan of its predecessor, but give me that first instalment any day. Some movies just stand the test of time and this version probably even comes across more dated than the original timeless classic.
July 18, 2015
this movie is awesome
June 13, 2015
It's a mistake to remake any film from the 80s- one of the best decades for films. I might see this eventually but I will probably skip this one.
June 6, 2015
great film very inspirational tbh xx
May 20, 2015
Some energetic choreography can't save this horribly wooden and completely unnecesarry remake from losing its footing and falling to the floor. The acting is bland, the script is an almost scene-for-scene, line-for-line copy of the original, and the music, worst of all, is unmemorable.
May 8, 2015
This movie is a lot better then the original from 1984! :) it was good!
April 16, 2015
For what it was I guess it wasn't that terrible but definitely not my bag. Blah