Footloose - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Footloose Reviews

½ July 19, 2015
Footloose was a legendary masterpiece when it was first released - this is simply a copycat spawn of that which mirrors the story pretty much line for line. The only bits that differ are the introduction which show the death of the reverends son, that instigates the ban on music and partying, the chicken race which is on buses instead of tractors, and the soundtrack which takes the original classics, and slows them up so they're barely recognisable. To give it its dues, why would you tamper with a winning formula? Having said that, no risk equals no reward and thus this will only be a copycat version that will only ever live in the shadows. The dance scenes are perhaps a little more lively and choreographed with people who can actually bust a move, but the young cast are made up of relative unknowns. Only Dennis Quaid and a token role for Andie McDowell (of 'Is it raining? I hadn't noticed' fame) are the familiar faces for me, yet it is reasonably well performed. It's just a tad too predictable when the script hardly differs from the 80's version, and it just somehow doesn't seem as punchy when Lori Singer and Kevin Bacon aren't speaking it. I still enjoyed seeing this given I was a fan of its predecessor, but give me that first instalment any day. Some movies just stand the test of time and this version probably even comes across more dated than the original timeless classic.
July 18, 2015
this movie is awesome
June 13, 2015
It's a mistake to remake any film from the 80s- one of the best decades for films. I might see this eventually but I will probably skip this one.
June 6, 2015
great film very inspirational tbh xx
May 20, 2015
Some energetic choreography can't save this horribly wooden and completely unnecesarry remake from losing its footing and falling to the floor. The acting is bland, the script is an almost scene-for-scene, line-for-line copy of the original, and the music, worst of all, is unmemorable.
May 8, 2015
This movie is a lot better then the original from 1984! :) it was good!
April 16, 2015
For what it was I guess it wasn't that terrible but definitely not my bag. Blah
April 7, 2015
Do we need a Footloose remake? Probably not, but I don't care because I'm not a fan of the original. I find it boring (sorry, Footloose fans, don't kill me). Craig Brewer's remake just has so much more spunk and energy. The dancing is awesome. The characters are likable. So if you don't like the original like me, check this one out!
March 12, 2015
I saw this after one of my best friends was in the musical at her school and I saw this on netflix and knew i had to watch it. When I did I fell in love with everything about it. The cast, the story and everything. I'm someone who loves romance in movies and Ariel and Ren were so cute.
½ March 7, 2015
I like this remake more than the one with Kevin Bacon in 1984. Pleasant to watch.
March 3, 2015
The music, the dancing, the romance, the comedy...this movie has it all...another movie my entire family liked (and I have 2 brothers) Definitely one of my favourites ??
February 28, 2015
Awesome!!!!!! One of the best movie in the world!!!!!!!!~~~?
February 26, 2015
Julianne Hough burning up the screen with her hotness is the only thing that saves this film. Wormald lacks the charisma that Kevin Bacon lent to the role and the remakes of the classic music are borderline offensive. Not unwatchable but definitely not good either.
½ February 22, 2015
Why the fuck would you ever do this?
February 13, 2015
Makes me wanna dance. Mr. Kevin could dance circles around the male lead though, IMO
February 8, 2015
Wonderful drama! No time to cry, just dance!
½ January 31, 2015
I haven't seen the '84 original starring Kevin Bacon, so I didn't go into this with those kind of expectations. The plot is a fairly simple teens vs. adults story, so I also wasn't expecting anything terribly deep. And, now having finished it I would say that my limited expectations of at least being entertained were met. Beyond that, FOOTLOOSE is a very cliched teen drama that just happens to have good music and dancing sequences. The gist of the story is that a city kid, Ren McCormack (Kenny Wormald) moves in with relatives who live in the sleepy southern town of Bomont, Georgia. Three years ago, after a tragic accident took the lives of five teenagers, the town council enacted a series of ordinances that aimed to prevent what caused it. Among those was an ordinance banning public dancing for those under 18 years of age.

To me, such a set up is flimsy at best but the film worked with it in a decent, if pedestrian, way. On the surface is functions as story in which the rebellious teens face off against the stubborn, over-protective adults. But, towards the end, they manage to shoehorn a message about parents learning to trust their children. Nice, but a little too late if you ask me. The most interesting aspect of the film to me was the way in which it pits small-town life and values against real-world logic. I don't feel like the film ever disrespected people who live like that, but it wasn't exactly friendly towards them either. More problematic to me was a minister (Dennis Quaid) who wants to protect his daughter (Julianne Hough) against an abusive guy, yet slaps her across the face when she starts mouthing him off. That one scene came as an unwelcome surprise to me, and something which seemed completely out of character.

In terms of acting, nobody was particularly bad. Dennis Quaid and Andie MacDowell came off looking the best, but I wouldn't place what they did here among their best work. As for Julianne Hough, let's just say she shouldn't abandon her singing and dancing careers. Kenny Wormald did fine as Ren McCormack but, like every other actor playing a teenager in this film, was utterly unconvincing as such. In terms of filmmaking quality, the cinematography and choreography was fine but unspectacular. Overall, it was a decent time-passer that was fitfully entertaining. It was a little too predictable for my tastes, and also not targeted to me, but that shouldn't stop teenagers enjoying it for the frivolous piece of entertainment that it is.
January 28, 2015
Brilliant remake, amazing cast and music, worth seeing.
½ January 24, 2015
Doesn't hold a candle to original. imo..... especially the acting....
½ January 18, 2015
This weekend: Must take children to see this.