Footloose - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Footloose Reviews

½ February 22, 2015
Why the fuck would you ever do this?
February 13, 2015
Makes me wanna dance. Mr. Kevin could dance circles around the male lead though, IMO
February 8, 2015
Wonderful drama! No time to cry, just dance!
½ January 31, 2015
I haven't seen the '84 original starring Kevin Bacon, so I didn't go into this with those kind of expectations. The plot is a fairly simple teens vs. adults story, so I also wasn't expecting anything terribly deep. And, now having finished it I would say that my limited expectations of at least being entertained were met. Beyond that, FOOTLOOSE is a very cliched teen drama that just happens to have good music and dancing sequences. The gist of the story is that a city kid, Ren McCormack (Kenny Wormald) moves in with relatives who live in the sleepy southern town of Bomont, Georgia. Three years ago, after a tragic accident took the lives of five teenagers, the town council enacted a series of ordinances that aimed to prevent what caused it. Among those was an ordinance banning public dancing for those under 18 years of age.

To me, such a set up is flimsy at best but the film worked with it in a decent, if pedestrian, way. On the surface is functions as story in which the rebellious teens face off against the stubborn, over-protective adults. But, towards the end, they manage to shoehorn a message about parents learning to trust their children. Nice, but a little too late if you ask me. The most interesting aspect of the film to me was the way in which it pits small-town life and values against real-world logic. I don't feel like the film ever disrespected people who live like that, but it wasn't exactly friendly towards them either. More problematic to me was a minister (Dennis Quaid) who wants to protect his daughter (Julianne Hough) against an abusive guy, yet slaps her across the face when she starts mouthing him off. That one scene came as an unwelcome surprise to me, and something which seemed completely out of character.

In terms of acting, nobody was particularly bad. Dennis Quaid and Andie MacDowell came off looking the best, but I wouldn't place what they did here among their best work. As for Julianne Hough, let's just say she shouldn't abandon her singing and dancing careers. Kenny Wormald did fine as Ren McCormack but, like every other actor playing a teenager in this film, was utterly unconvincing as such. In terms of filmmaking quality, the cinematography and choreography was fine but unspectacular. Overall, it was a decent time-passer that was fitfully entertaining. It was a little too predictable for my tastes, and also not targeted to me, but that shouldn't stop teenagers enjoying it for the frivolous piece of entertainment that it is.
January 28, 2015
Brilliant remake, amazing cast and music, worth seeing.
½ January 24, 2015
Doesn't hold a candle to original. imo..... especially the acting....
½ January 18, 2015
This weekend: Must take children to see this.
January 13, 2015
Definitely cheesy, but still a fun film.
December 13, 2014
I like the original but I'm not so sure about this one.
December 1, 2014
Great modern remake with the classic songs loved it!
November 2, 2014
I hope it's as good as the original.
October 27, 2014
One of the best remakes I've ever saw since the 1984 version. Wonderful songs and an interesting cast of newcomers Kenny Wormald and Julianne Hough leading the way including Dennis Quaid & Andie MacDowell are brilliantly irresistible in this
delightful musical version of an 80's classic.
See this new version of the 1984 movie you'll
love to see to believe to stand up & cheering
yourself dancing for more. Cut Loose for Footloose!!!
October 26, 2014
Not as good as the first one.
October 20, 2014
Kevin Bacon in a dancing movie?

Enough said.....
October 16, 2014
This remake to the 1984"Footloose" was kind of a disgrace. I think they relied to much on the original, the acting was okay but there were to many cliches for me to even pay attention to this movie. They tried to use most of the original songs which just seemed like they were trying to hard. In my opinion just watched the original. I don't mind remakes but sometimes they just ruined them, but as that being said for Footloose not being that much succesful for me, I give "Footloose"a D.
October 7, 2014
enjoyable movie about young life and the influence of music and dance
September 27, 2014
I LOVE FOOTLOOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
September 16, 2014
It's not bad, and much better than I anticipated it to be. It's fun and light, and portrays characters in grey as opposed to black and white for the most part. Better than most films in this genre.
September 14, 2014
I caught this on FX, and have to say I actually liked it... thought Dennis Quaids performance was quite moving, the dancing was great. what the hell is wrong with me?
½ September 10, 2014
Identical as in to the same level of the original, but better. (B)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording)