Footnote - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Footnote Reviews

½ November 1, 2013
I agree completely with Matt Kelemen, who says that the movie takes place in "second gear" almost all the time and at the end even goes back to first gear. Very slow movie about a boring theme such as scholarly politics... its got its good moments with the realisation of truth by the unbearable Eliezer Shkolnik, and the wrinkles in the head of Yehuda Grossman. But all in all its not really worth it, in my opinion.
October 16, 2013
Pudo ser una anecdota cualquiera sobre un error administrativo, pero Joseph Cedar lo eleva a un interesante drama de rivalidades, rencores y sentimientos encontrados entre academicos y familiares del prestigiado gremio de investigadores en Israel. Ganadora de Cannes a Mejor Guion y nominada al Oscar como cinta extranjera (perdio contra "A Separation" de Iran). Vale mucho la pena. (Texto intencionalmente sin acentos).
September 18, 2013
Footnote is easily one of the year's best films, foreign or otherwise. It's cinema perfection, drama refined, and a pleasure to behold. The film tells a simple yet very well-drawn story and captivates audiences with remarkably deep and nuanced characters, brilliant performances, and astoundingly nuanced direction. It's a total package of honest drama, light comedy, and fascinating character studies. The entirety of Footnote enjoys an uncanny completeness that should satisfy audiences in search of character-driven cinema.
August 12, 2013
For an hour Footnote is able to be intelligently thoughtful on intellectual competitiveness and father-son relationships while still entertaining, but for the last half hour the depth gets lost in strange stylistic turns.
½ July 22, 2013
I've been a voyeur on Rotten Tomatoes for several years, using it as my bible in regards to what movies to watch. It's fairly rare where I disagree with a 90%+ rating, but this film was so patently awful, without a single redeeming quality, that I actually took the time to register an account to leave a review.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm the sort of guy who likes highbrow, low key, undercover films. My friends tease me because I'll only go to art house theaters and not the local megaplex. So before you write me off, consider that I'm one of you - I like small scale, personal, slow moving films.

However, I can honestly say that this is probably the worst film I've ever seen. There's not a single compelling reason to watch it. My only thought after the credits appeared was "I'll never get those two hours of my life back." This film was beyond sterile, beyond uninteresting and beyond watchable. In fact, it ruined my faith in the Rotten Tomatoes rating system (it has to be rigged).

Well, that's it. Hate me, go on, just don't waste your time on this awful film.
July 12, 2013
Interesting storyline highlighting competition between generations and the desire for external approval and validation. It had so much potential and a wonderful playful soundtrack .... but the storyline failed to resolve. It went nowhere and left me irritated at the conclusion.
July 11, 2013
This movie was pretty intense...
July 9, 2013
This is a movie about details and minutia about fathers and sons, grudges, love and differences. It very well done but it is very dense at times and the subtitles fly fast and furious.
June 16, 2013
Remarkable plot, how do you think it ends?
½ May 21, 2013
One of the most amazing stories in movies.
hunterjt13
½ May 7, 2013
A man who has followed in his father's footsteps in the study of the Talmud give up a prestigious prize for his father's benefit.
There are moments in Footnote that resonate with any academic. The satire of the cramped rooms and the highfalutin conversations in academic babble is sharp, biting, and accurate. This also has the distinction of being one of the few films about academe that doesn't include a relationship between a teacher and a student, and for that it deserves applause. Not limited to satirizing the academy, the film is also about fathers and sons and the tough love fathers sometimes bone-headedly think their sons need. This plot is poignant and universal.
What bothers me about the film are the ending, where I though we needed more clarity, and the film's misogyny. The women are all either idiots or supporters, and when Eliezer's wife finds out the film's primary secret, her response is merely to support more. The female characters lack any agency in the home or the profession, and while it's true that some sections of academe are miniature boys' clubs, the film doesn't seem to level its satire bullseye at the phallocentrism of the academy.
Overall, there's a lot to like about this film, but where it fails, it fails big.
½ April 8, 2013
Historia sobre la (mala) relación de un padre y un hijo, ambos estudiosos eruditos del Torá, ambos entregados a su trabajo en cuerpo y alma, ambos con aspiraciones de reconocimiento público y ambos ligados de forma irremediable. Un error hará que tengan que enfrentar sus miedos, resentimientos entre ellos y hasta hacer sacrificios.
Muy buena como 3/4 partes de la película al final para mi gusto aflojó.
March 23, 2013
Para reírse de la desgracia
March 14, 2013
Shkolnik versus Shkolnik. Or to be more precise: the Shkolniks versus their own selves.
March 12, 2013
*Se insiste en que el reconocimiento tiende a ensuciar la obra* En 'Nota al Pie', la lucha de los egos entre el padre profesor consagrado al oficio y su hijo profesor consagrado al oficio se convierte en una tragicomedia bastante entretenida donde se muestra al desnudo esa oscura necesidad humana de sentirse alabado, reconocido, homenajeado. Acá el orgullo, la prepotencia y la envidia son los componentes para este cocktail de egolatría que no respeta ni siquiera las relaciones entre padre e hijo, que llega incluso a desvirtuar el ejercicio de la verdad y la confianza entre los dos::: A lo que se puede llegar por un premio. Buena.
March 2, 2013
i don't really like.. watching a film in modern Israel.. may be my head full of cliches, but it was like watching an american film in Jewish. that's all.. nothing special.. and it looked like a Coen brothers Film.
February 16, 2013
Underhållande historia om akademiker som aldrig riktigt växer upp emotionellt!
January 28, 2013
Rather unusual setiing of a traditional topic of on-father relationship. Jealousy, respect, appreciation and rivalry.
January 27, 2013
This movie built so nicely, but I feel the ending sold itself short! The character development wasn't strong enough to make our own conclusions to the ending. The theme needed a stronger ending to teach us something, albeit its attempt to give insight to the complexities of father son relationships was fresh.