Footsteps in the Fog - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Footsteps in the Fog Reviews

September 19, 2017
A film to enjoy and one to watch again! Jean Simmonds' performance is as powerful as it is gentle, and never fails to move me.
jjnxn
December 15, 2014
Enjoyable Victorian drama about some very unscrupulous people. Sumptuous production values and Jean looks very beautiful.
½ September 7, 2014
Atmospheric British thriller set in Victorian times. A lowly maid knows that her master has poisoned his wife and uses this knowledge to further her own fortunes. Secrets, lies and intrigue and there is a twist in the tail. Beautiful art direction and benefiting from spooky direction from a Hollywood pro Arthur Lubin. This gives some great insight into the inequalities above and below stairs during "staid Victorian" period. A treat.
August 20, 2014
Treachery and deceit are the theme of this English yarn.
January 31, 2013
A wonderful Victorian thriller--Footsteps into legend!!
January 26, 2013
A murder thriller with the feel of a Hammer movie about it.
½ January 23, 2013
Good suspense and beautifully enacted. The direction being the key in such a movie, excels. Loved the 2 lead actors, classic acting.
December 16, 2012
well crafted cat and mouse melodrama.
November 2, 2012
I seem to quite often be the first person to review certain films on Flixster, maybe watching ones recommended to me by my 90-year-old Nan has something to do with that. I think the solitary critic review of this is a little harsh; I'm not sure the filmmakers would really have been going for genuine crediblity with a plot such as this one and it is instead supposed to be an entertaining melodrama and nothing more.
January 26, 2011
Very dark, twisted tale about murder, blackmail and deception. Kept me on the edge of my seat until the end, though the pace is not fast or overdone. In fact, it's the subtlety that makes this film, along with great acting and storytelling.
June 10, 2010
Quite a good thriller. Would he or would he not get away with it. Funny the way that lower class people were portrayed in a stereotypical way.
January 16, 2010
Wonderful 'gaslight' melodrama with Stewart Granger and Jean Simmons set in the fog-shrouded streets of Victorian London. The plot is full of shocking twists and turns that will keep you guessing until the very last moments.
½ August 14, 2009
Wealthy Victorian-era physician, Stewart Granger, mourns the death of his wife - in public. In reality, he's rather relieved that he successfully poisoned the old girl. All is well until his ambitious young house maid, Jean Simmons, deduces what he's done and chooses to use that information to improve her position. She puts the screws to him while falling in love with him, and, not unexpectedly, he feels that this fresh-faced girl has to go too.

FOOTSTEPS IN THE FOG is a nicely atmospheric, dramatic showcase for the then married Granger and Simmons. It's all gaslights, foggy back streets and opulent drawing rooms. While not a "great" film, it holds your attention with the story's numerous twists of fate. Though it's shot in color, I think the picture would've been aided greatly if it were shot in black and white.

Things learned from this movie:
1.) Never live in the same house with someone you know to be a murderer.
2.) Never live in the same house with someone you know is willing to blackmail you.
July 11, 2009
A fantastic thriller with murder, blackmail and a lot of easily accessible poison. Granger the high society gentleman with everything to lose and Simmons as the scullery maid with an ambition above her station.
They make a fantastic pair to watch on screen as they both have so much presence and talent and are a joy to watch as they lead you through the simple but shrewd plot.

Easily one film that will never date and miles better than some of the nonsense that's released now. This is perfect for sunday viewing and one you won't mind watching again when Film4 re run it for the 8th time.
½ July 1, 2009
Great Acting by Granger and Simmons, Chemistry between them is amazing. Star of it though had to be Simmons, her innocence that mixes with her insane motherly madness attraction to the character Stephen Lowry is amazing. Her paradox acting is so appealing.
½ December 12, 2008
This is a well-done thriller, and I think Stewart Granger's best. Simmons always holds her own in any film, but I think this one belongs to Granger. He is right on the money as high society "gentleman" with secrets.
July 7, 2008
Granger is on form in this cult thriller and Simmons dazzles. Bill Travers also delivers well as the begrudged solicitor.
½ April 15, 2008
Granger plays the high society murderer well in a good thriller which has a cult feel all the way through.
½ January 7, 2008
An okay movie that could have been very good if it delved a bit more into Simmons relationship with her boss and the powerplays therein. Perfect lighting all around especially on Jean.
January 3, 2008
This is a really good British society thriller film that doesn't allow its characters to fall into any obvious categories or cliches. Each principal character stirs up one's feelings of sympathy, pity, and disgust. The production design and use of color was marvelous, and I didn't ever find myself thinking that the movie was particularly "old," even though it was made over 50 years ago. Sadly, it's probably hard to get a chance to watch this one.