Footy Legends - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Footy Legends Reviews

July 4, 2015
I've had the pleasure of watching this for an English assignment and I must say I hated this film...as did the rest of my class. This film is just an amalgamation of all light-hearted, up-lighting sports drama cliches thrown into a blender with boring and lackluster sports photography, one-sided and stereotypical characters, and a story that we all know the ending to as it is the same recycled plot from every sports drama.
October 11, 2011
little cheesy but it has its charm
April 18, 2011
Not much of an Aussie movie fan, but I liked this a lot! They have a tough time there ---the immigrants. Theme is probably cliche ridden, but then I was in the mood for ordinariness. Good to watch.
March 9, 2011
The movie transmits some nice family values and it's a must-see for any australian rugby league follower.
½ January 29, 2011
As somebody who's a Rugby League fan, I was drawn to buying this Australian drama film and although for a different reason than what was originally intended, I liked it.

Footy Legends follows the story of a young man, Luc Vu, and his friends who make up an amateur Rugby League team (known better in Australia as "Footy") called the Yagoona Schooners.

On the field, Luc is wizard of the amateur game, off the field, though, Luc is constantly "dropping the ball". He's out of work, his social assistance/benefits have been cut because he isn't applying for jobs and the welfare authorities are seeking to take custody of his younger sister, Anne, because they doubt his ability to act as guardian following their parents death.

However, there's a chance for Luc and his friends to achieve something by winning a local "footy" tournament that will help win a Ute (Utility vehicle/pick-up truck) and a modelling contract for a menswear company.

Can Luc and his team of underdogs win the competition and rebuild their self-respect, even in the face of a final against a team of "ringers" in the form of some of the greatest former Rugby League players in modern history?

Anh Do is a pleasant enough lead as Luc. He convincingly plays a young man who is down on his luck, but not a "dead beat". Luc is definitely a man who's out of his depth, but also an eternal optimist and defiant against the problems thrown at him.

Lisa Saggers portrays Luc's sister Anne, known affectionately by Luc as "Stinky". Her portrayal is that of a sister who has faith in her brother despite the odds stacked against them.

Do's supporting cast in the Yagoona Schooners are the stereotypical local heroes. This a team of men with feet of clay who are railing against various social problems. As much as Do, they are likeable bunch.

There are cameos by Australian Rugby League television commentators Andrew Voss, Matthew Johns and Mario Fenech who basically portray themselves as the type of sports commentator that you see in many a sports comedy, and there are cameos by former Rugby League legends Bradley Clyde, Gary Larson, Cliff Lyons, Rod Wishart and Brett Kenny portraying themselves as the team of "ringers" from Double Bay.

It's a predictable comedy which, although tries to have a message about problems such as long-term unemployment and the after effects of drug addiction, pulls it's punches so that it doesn't stop being a gentle comedy.

I wouldn't say buy it, but if you can get a chance to rent it, give it a try.
Theta Sigma
½ January 20, 2011

I wouldn't say buy it, but if you can get a chance to rent it, give it a try.
September 18, 2009
it would be un-australian not to love this film... it is quirky, funny and brilliantly taps into our love of the underdog... the cast aint pretty... but that is western sydney for you
½ August 20, 2009
This movie was nice and sympathetic. The first Australian film I've ever seen. Touch rugby's great.
½ December 29, 2008
Another Aussie movie championing the cause of the underdog. A predictable tale that has enough heart to win over the viewer. Anh Do plays his role convincingly.
½ December 27, 2008
Good but poor script writing in some areas
½ September 1, 2008
Easy watching... heart warming too!
½ August 31, 2008
There is beauty in this film, there is zest and celebrates human spirit. I liked the 'britney'
August 12, 2008
yehh not great budget film but has great moral value for sydney people and rugby league fans who r the only ones who would really understand the culture of the movie in which 2 us is great
½ August 10, 2008
One of the few great Aussie movies that isn't spoilt with frequent dirty language and sex.
Anh Do is a champion and this movie deserves more credit. Entertaining, emotional and the only decent film that features rugby league!
July 8, 2008
Maybe if I wasn't a little homesick, I wouldn't have enjoyed this small and sweet film so much. Simple plot and nothing extraordinary about the script but the characters are funny, uplifting and at times very moving. Plus it's made in my old neighbourhood... youse know bro?
June 22, 2008
This feel good Vietnamese-Australian ruby sports drama is simply delightful and cross-cultural! It's a rare find.
May 24, 2008
this movie is gold. They shld use this for ppl applying for citizenship. lf you dont crack up laughing, cant become an Aussie.
May 21, 2008
Loved it, but maybe im just biased
½ May 11, 2008
It's a low-budget Australian film, and it shows. It's very cliche and the plot doesn't resolve. Still it had some fun moments and they tried hard with what they had to work with. Rugby league is the greatest sport of all time!
½ April 18, 2008
Weak plot and average acting, but a movie with lots of heart. Entertaining, just ignore the holes and predictability in the script.