For Keeps - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

For Keeps Reviews

January 4, 2008
After the relatively demanding "Cracks", I felt like a nice movie, something comforting from the past... and this one fit the mood well. It's surprising that I would like a "baby" movie, I guess, but this one got me quite young. I still say it has the worst beginning to a movie ever, though, I was eating while I was watching this one tonight, and it nearly made me sick!
Another thing I like about this, is even though it has the required happy ending, it's not sugar coated or overly sentimental. This young couple hit every obstacle going - teen pregnancy. poverty, no support from family, post natal depression and the overall strain of being a young married couple with a baby. Though it is romantic in a way, the situation sure isn't.
Molly Ringwald is wonderful here. I always think she is wonderful, I have loved her since Pretty in Pink, but she really is outstanding here as Darcy. Beautiful, smart, if it wasn't for the whole pregnancy bit, what young girl would't want to be her?! Randall Batinkoff is also nice as Stan. I am surprised this movie was not more popular at the time. I guess now it is a little dated, if you did not grow up with it as I did, but for anyone who likes a good 80's teen movie, can't really go past this.
I guess it's a sign of my age that finally I can really relate to Mrs Elliot in this too. I never really thought about her, past being Darcy's mum, but on rewatch, I actually found her quite moving, as I realised her fear was coming from things that happened to her. Scary.
September 6, 2010
Ringwald plays a pregnant teen graduating from high school. The story is good, as are the actors. I really liked this movie, and if you're a fan of hers too, you'll enjoy it.
October 28, 2009
I was surprised with this old flick, haven't actually seen it before but its really good, really sweet and touching. I thought it would be a boring sickening story as we follow two kids in love, getting pregnant, breaking up etc..but its pretty engaging and keeps you interested, I think the 80's charm has alot to do with that :) Molly Ringwald being the teen queen of the era.
Some nice lines raise afew smiles here and there and the whole look and feel is just right, you can relate to the story, that's the important thing.
mwilliams078
September 1, 2008
For Keeps is a good film with Molly Ringwald. What happens to a young couple when trying to get ready to graduate high school, attend college and now a new born...too much stress and a test of devotion...a cute film.
½ October 17, 2006
Cute.
iLeo
April 12, 2007
A favorite.
½ March 5, 2010
A nice realistic story about a young couple who overcome all the challenges of having a baby. I thought it was sweet. (First and only viewing - 11/29/2015)
February 12, 2012
There comes a time when every young actor must grow up on film if they plan on staying in the business, and for teen star Molly Ringwald, that transitional film was "For Keeps". There's a lot I admired about the picture, but not enough for me to recommend it. The whole thing kind of goes awry somewhere in the second half.
I had to applaud the film for taking itself seriously, for the most part, and not making this a cute and happy film. It's pretty realistic, and it certainly doesn't glamorize teen pregnancy. It shows all of the problems that come from all aspects, and I kind of admired that. Unfortunately, it all falls apart during the second half, and it ends in typically upbeat Hollywood fashion. The couple survives everything that life throws at them in the end, and while much of the film feels authentic, that does not. It cripples the movie, not to mention that the whole thing is just so bland and unmemorable.
Ringwald herself is just fine in her role, but co-star Randall Batinkoff is a shining example of the film's rampant mediocrity. He's simply unimpressive, and for that reason, his career never really took off after this high-profile picture. The script, oddly enough co-written by "Police Academy" star Tim Kazurinsky, tackles a lot of serious issues and the word "abortion" is thrown around quite liberally, which is shocking for a movie of this nature. I think I really wanted to like this a lot more than I actually did, but "For Keeps" falters too many times along the way. It's a slight film that slips into "Afterschool Special" territory too often to be entirely successful. Still, it has to be admired for its realism.
May 4, 2011
For Keeps is a decent teen film that shows the life of a pregnant teen and while it's tolerable, it's nothing special that leaves the viewer unsatisfied.

Our main character is Darcy, an "A" student who dreams of being a journalist, and her boyfriend Stan who is attending CalTech. During a "fling", Darcy becomes pregnant even though she had been taking the pill before hand. Instead of aborting the baby or putting it up for adoption, the two at the ever all seeing ages of 19 and 17 decide to keep the baby and even get married, even though the parents on both sides strongly disagree and kick the two out. The young couple try to keep everything together and for a while it works, until the birth of their daughter Theodocia. Things begin to fall apart as Darcy and Stan try to keep everything together.

I understand that this film is an important one and that it talks about teen pregnancy and what your life could be like if you had a child at 17, but this film takes a lot of liberties. The treatment and lifestyle of the couple is softened to the point of laugh worthy. I've had friends who got pregnant at around the same age, and believe me, it was a lot harder than what was shown in the movie. The acting is very subpar and the humor that they tried to inject into the movie felt very forced and uncomfortable. The final nail in the coffin is just that it's incredibly boring to watch. While I can see this film being shown to kids in a health class (that's where I first watched this film), anyone outside of that group will not be interested.

If this film was more realistic, then I'd probably excuse the issues I stated above. But the fact that it isn't realistic and makes teen pregnancy look easy just lowers the credibility. Overall, if you want a good teen pregnancy movie, just watch Juno. It's better acted, more realistic, and just is a better film. (Real rating:42%)
October 15, 2010
For Keeps is a sad but amazing movie. Molly Ringwald plays the mother that is depressed after her daughter's Birth. This movie is a very good one, but it was so sad the way she felt after the birth. She wouldn't look at her daughter or even hold her. When the baby cried she just ignored her. I would get frustrated with this movie sometimes though because of the way she treated her daughter. The time that she picked up her daughter when she was screaming and crying is when she thought someone was breaking into the house. It is horrible that it took that much for her to pick up her daughter. I love how in the end she ends up with the father of the baby. She went through so much with him but there love was so strong they stuck through it together.
January 11, 2010
Popular boy and girl on their way to collage .. Stop to mess around and WHOOPS?? They get preggo..
perfect example of how hard times bring two people in love together*
Fantastic Real Look Into How Things Are Still .. For young Couples.. The In Laws .. The Bills .. The baby Blues ... And All The people that try to Make Things Worse When You are allready down On Luck In Life*
Great Family Film ... I Think all Teens Should see This ... Its Like Sex Ed ... With The Baby And All The struggels that come with Being a Parent *
March 5, 2010
I am sure the makers of For Keeps meant well, but the writing is so trite, and surprisingly sloppy direction from John G. Avildsen. It is not very well acted by anyone, except Conchata Farrell. The whole story just doesn?t ring true. It?s just phony and therefore not very moving.
March 5, 2010
49/100. I am sure the makers of For Keeps meant well, but the writing is so trite, and surprisingly sloppy direction from John G. Avildsen. It is not very well acted by anyone, except Conchata Farrell. The whole story just doesn't ring true. It's just phony and therefore not very moving.
½ March 31, 2007
Still a great movie after all these years. Life is tough sometimes but love can and will always pull you through.
March 19, 2009
Pretty good. Really interesting. Molly Ringwald is awesome. This movie was really fun to watch. Seeing how that could happen to people I know. Really interesting movie. Movies about teenage pregnancies are always interesting.
December 15, 2008
I loved this movie when I was a kid, lol. I think it was the whole Molly Ringwald is awesome phase that every girl went through.
½ August 28, 2008
Not bad. Molly Ringwald plays a teenage mom. Now she's the mother of teenager who got preggo in Secret Lives of the American Teenager... funny how life works out sometimes.
½ August 21, 2008
I usually like the movies that Molly Ringwald is in, but I did not like this one at all. I found this movie very boring and all the characters are annoying and the fact that everything was always peachy for the teens also was annoying. This is a movie that I will never watch again.
June 28, 2008
I really love this movie...so it is lighthearted but it expresses feelings first time parents go through. As with my unplanned pregnancy i felt too like I could rule the world like Darcy and was optimistic not knowing that children a rite of passage for some and a turning point that you can never go back only move forward. Growth is needed and self improvement/discovery with this huge sense of responsiblity, the notion that I am the be all say all of a little soul is the scariest idea in my life but the greatest priveledge. Granted outside forces intervene but ultimately your child is a gift that is a part of your physical self and chunk spiritual self. The realizations that one comes to when holding the little stranger for the first time, or the drive from the hospital or the moment that one finally feels comfortable with a child and not like a complete fool but the idea of being able to do this and not just to get it done but to raise a child with all your being and essence. This films seems to capture the importance of dreams and detours which we all face even the most organized of us all.

And most of the joys of partnership and parenthood
The couple deals with limited financial resources which most parents do, post pardem depression, and ultimately the choice to make it work as a couple. This was a film I enjoyed as a kid and later as an adult as well...
June 3, 2008
Good movie but might not want young children to see it. Although a good warning for teens to a point. Its funny and witty but all the way an 80's movie