For Keeps - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

For Keeps Reviews

½ May 21, 2012
5/21/2012: nothing entertaining about this movie.
May 12, 2012
This was a very good movie and that baby is soooo cute and adorable!
February 22, 2012
My favorite movie.. When ever its on i stop every thing to watch Stan n Darcy
February 12, 2012
There comes a time when every young actor must grow up on film if they plan on staying in the business, and for teen star Molly Ringwald, that transitional film was "For Keeps". There's a lot I admired about the picture, but not enough for me to recommend it. The whole thing kind of goes awry somewhere in the second half.
I had to applaud the film for taking itself seriously, for the most part, and not making this a cute and happy film. It's pretty realistic, and it certainly doesn't glamorize teen pregnancy. It shows all of the problems that come from all aspects, and I kind of admired that. Unfortunately, it all falls apart during the second half, and it ends in typically upbeat Hollywood fashion. The couple survives everything that life throws at them in the end, and while much of the film feels authentic, that does not. It cripples the movie, not to mention that the whole thing is just so bland and unmemorable.
Ringwald herself is just fine in her role, but co-star Randall Batinkoff is a shining example of the film's rampant mediocrity. He's simply unimpressive, and for that reason, his career never really took off after this high-profile picture. The script, oddly enough co-written by "Police Academy" star Tim Kazurinsky, tackles a lot of serious issues and the word "abortion" is thrown around quite liberally, which is shocking for a movie of this nature. I think I really wanted to like this a lot more than I actually did, but "For Keeps" falters too many times along the way. It's a slight film that slips into "Afterschool Special" territory too often to be entirely successful. Still, it has to be admired for its realism.
½ February 2, 2012
Molly Ringwald plays a pregnant teenager, surprise, surprise. When I first saw this on TV I thought, she looks back then just like the pregnant teenage daughter of her character on "The Secret Lives of the American Teenager" now. The movie is another fairy tale about happily ever after which is unrealistic for most people, period. If most guys were like Stan there wouldn't be so many broken homes and single-parent families and problems in the world. I remember that a running theme in movies in the late 80s seemed to be teenage pregnancy and making it work out instead of just having an abortion. I didn't watch the movie back then and I really didn't care too much for it now. All I could think during the whole thing was that if all guys were like that one there would be so many fewer problems in the world it's not even funny.
I almost want to know where they got that scene from the opening credits. Almost.
July 31, 2011
After the relatively demanding "Cracks", I felt like a nice movie, something comforting from the past... and this one fit the mood well. It's surprising that I would like a "baby" movie, I guess, but this one got me quite young. I still say it has the worst beginning to a movie ever, though, I was eating while I was watching this one tonight, and it nearly made me sick!
Another thing I like about this, is even though it has the required happy ending, it's not sugar coated or overly sentimental. This young couple hit every obstacle going - teen pregnancy. poverty, no support from family, post natal depression and the overall strain of being a young married couple with a baby. Though it is romantic in a way, the situation sure isn't.
Molly Ringwald is wonderful here. I always think she is wonderful, I have loved her since Pretty in Pink, but she really is outstanding here as Darcy. Beautiful, smart, if it wasn't for the whole pregnancy bit, what young girl would't want to be her?! Randall Batinkoff is also nice as Stan. I am surprised this movie was not more popular at the time. I guess now it is a little dated, if you did not grow up with it as I did, but for anyone who likes a good 80's teen movie, can't really go past this.
I guess it's a sign of my age that finally I can really relate to Mrs Elliot in this too. I never really thought about her, past being Darcy's mum, but on rewatch, I actually found her quite moving, as I realised her fear was coming from things that happened to her. Scary.
May 4, 2011
For Keeps is a decent teen film that shows the life of a pregnant teen and while it's tolerable, it's nothing special that leaves the viewer unsatisfied.

Our main character is Darcy, an "A" student who dreams of being a journalist, and her boyfriend Stan who is attending CalTech. During a "fling", Darcy becomes pregnant even though she had been taking the pill before hand. Instead of aborting the baby or putting it up for adoption, the two at the ever all seeing ages of 19 and 17 decide to keep the baby and even get married, even though the parents on both sides strongly disagree and kick the two out. The young couple try to keep everything together and for a while it works, until the birth of their daughter Theodocia. Things begin to fall apart as Darcy and Stan try to keep everything together.

I understand that this film is an important one and that it talks about teen pregnancy and what your life could be like if you had a child at 17, but this film takes a lot of liberties. The treatment and lifestyle of the couple is softened to the point of laugh worthy. I've had friends who got pregnant at around the same age, and believe me, it was a lot harder than what was shown in the movie. The acting is very subpar and the humor that they tried to inject into the movie felt very forced and uncomfortable. The final nail in the coffin is just that it's incredibly boring to watch. While I can see this film being shown to kids in a health class (that's where I first watched this film), anyone outside of that group will not be interested.

If this film was more realistic, then I'd probably excuse the issues I stated above. But the fact that it isn't realistic and makes teen pregnancy look easy just lowers the credibility. Overall, if you want a good teen pregnancy movie, just watch Juno. It's better acted, more realistic, and just is a better film. (Real rating:42%)
March 12, 2011
Ringwald plays a pregnant teen graduating from high school. The story is good, as are the actors. I really liked this movie, and if you're a fan of hers too, you'll enjoy it.
February 6, 2011
This was a very good movie and that baby is soooo cute and adorable!
January 17, 2011
Grounded tale about a pair of teenagers trying to make a living after the girlfriend (Molly Ringwald) gets pregnant. Kenneth Mars is pretty funny as Stan's dad but the scene where Darcy and her mother are exchanging French sentences was awkward and pointless. This is a somewhat different role for Molly Ringwald, as she doesn't play someone who's awkward around the guy she likes. Instead, she's in a sexually active relationship with her boyfriend, and displays an air of playful confidence around him. Overall, For Keeps is worth seeing because it doesn't portray teen pregnancy as glittered gold, and the hurdles that the two young leads face (what an apartment) is interesting to watch.
January 3, 2011
Yes, I'm a dork. But it was cute!!
October 15, 2010
For Keeps is a sad but amazing movie. Molly Ringwald plays the mother that is depressed after her daughter's Birth. This movie is a very good one, but it was so sad the way she felt after the birth. She wouldn't look at her daughter or even hold her. When the baby cried she just ignored her. I would get frustrated with this movie sometimes though because of the way she treated her daughter. The time that she picked up her daughter when she was screaming and crying is when she thought someone was breaking into the house. It is horrible that it took that much for her to pick up her daughter. I love how in the end she ends up with the father of the baby. She went through so much with him but there love was so strong they stuck through it together.
½ September 4, 2010
This movie got lost in the 80's in a sea of John Hughes. Definitely, Hughes fare was superior but this film should not have been so overlooked or universally panned by critics. One critic cited it "Ringwald at the start of her downward slide" (and he would be wrong - that was the horrific "Fresh Horses"). The big screen debut of Randall Batinkoff should have lead to a great (instead of mediocre) career but that unfortunately did not come to pass. His last notable role was in "Higher Learning" and then he was on to obscure indies, straight-to-cable and TV fare. Still, this is a good movie well worth checking out if you've written it off under the assumption that it was truly "her downward slide".
August 30, 2010
Popular boy and girl on their way to collage .. Stop to mess around and WHOOPS?? They get preggo..
perfect example of how hard times bring two people in love together*
Fantastic Real Look Into How Things Are Still .. For young Couples.. The In Laws .. The Bills .. The baby Blues ... And All The people that try to Make Things Worse When You are allready down On Luck In Life*
Great Family Film ... I Think all Teens Should see This ... Its Like Sex Ed ... With The Baby And All The struggels that come with Being a Parent *
½ August 24, 2010
"Stretch marks are the badge of a real woman."

I watched the trailer, I read the synopsis, I looked at the cast. I estimated this to be somewhere between hilarious '80s misfire and the worst movie of all time. Holy ass was I way off. Given that the '80s were one of film history's least eventful decades, I have no hesitations in saying this is one of the funniest, most compelling movies the '80s has to offer. At least, if you subtract Scorsese, Spielberg, and Hughes, this is about all that's left.
June 11, 2010
I HAVE NOT SEEN THIS IN YEARS ,BUT I LOVED THE MOVIE
May 24, 2010
I think that Anton Yelchin looks like Randall Batinkoff.
April 21, 2010
Not very realistic and no where near as good as some of her other films.
½ April 18, 2010
I should watch this again so I remember it.
March 23, 2010