For Love of Ivy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

For Love of Ivy Reviews

½ November 13, 2012
I really enjoyed this movie,a nice like you I love you story.
½ April 5, 2012
Sydney Poitier plays this entreprenuer with a little extra gambling action on the side. One of his clients is a family who has a maid that gave her notice so she can better herself. The family's son and daughter make Sidney Poitier go out with her in order for her to stay with them, but as all things do, it hit the fan. Nice score by the late Shirley Horn(What Ivy Wants);
½ September 12, 2010
I took it in as more of a campaign than a film ... strangely enough.
June 6, 2009
I 've seen this movie at least a hundred times, and it never seems to bore me. I love the interaction between the characters, Ivy(Abby Lincoln) and Jack (Sidney Poitier). Oddly enough during the filming of this movie, sparks were flying between these two, so much so that Mr. Poitier proposed to Ms. Lincoln after the film was finished. They lived together for a while, then for one reason or another separated for while. Entered Ms. Diane Carroll who came on the scene and that was as we say was the end of any hope of reconcilliation between Lincoln and Poitier.

Sidney and Diane did a broadway play of Porky and Bess which was later put on film and directed by Otto Priminger. The Leading role of Bess was played by none other then Dorthy Dandridge...who Sidney also fell in love with, but to his own failings, because of the more than hot and torrid affair between Dandridge and Priminger whom she bore a child for. The couple never married, due to the racial climate of the times, but their child was born with a rare disease and required to be institutionalized for some time. After Dandridge 's death, Priminger collected his daughter from the institution and move back to Germany, where he and she lived until his death. Oddly enough he said how much she remined him of Dorothy, in that she looked exactly like her mother. No one ever heard anything of her again. I love Sidney Poitier as an actor, I have several of his films...Blackboard Jungle, Guess Who's Coming To Dinner, A Patch of Blue, To Sir with Love, The Jackal, Buck and the Preacher, The Long Ships, A Raisin in the Sun, They Call Me Mr. Tibbs, A Piece of the Action, Uptown Saturday Night, Lillies of the Field, In the Heat of the Night, Pressure Point, No Way Out, Sneakers, The Definant Ones, The Bedford Incident, The Mark of the Hawk, The Organization, The Wilby Conspirarcy, The Secret Life of Noah Dearborn, The Greatest Story Ever Told, and last but not least The Last Brickmaker in America. Yeah....I guess you couild say that I'm a Sidney Poitier fan...Gotta Love Him. If any of you get the chance please rent some of these vintage films you will not be disappointed in any of them. They are true treasures and eventhough most of the supporting actors/actresses or no longer with us...this was truly an era of great film noir. Enjoy!
June 23, 2008
The story for this tacky movie was originally from Potier's brain. But I can watch him do just about anything. He's a highly unusual and captivating performer.
April 7, 2008
Poitier's always a pleasure to watch, even when the story surrounding him isn't exactly captivating.
March 7, 2008
A good solid story. A bit slow and overplayed sometimes, but overall well-written and compelling.
February 14, 2008
Nice love story. Some great acting. Just Fine.
½ December 15, 2007
Good ol fashioned classical love story with the trimmings that go with the time. Good performance by Sidney but a bit to be desired from his other half...what was her name again.?
November 8, 2007
I love the movie. I can totally understand Ivy being a ignorant country girl and Sidney being the cool city cat.
½ September 12, 2007
Oh beau bridges... It's horribly written and acted. Sidney tried his best but could not do anything with that woman who was his interest... ugh
½ August 15, 2007
July 7, 2007
Easy to see why Poitier was so important.
½ June 9, 2007
abbey lincoln's outfits are off the hook. also, sidney poitier is smooth.
June 8, 2007
I love that this film isn't about the fact that the main characters are Black. They're people, just normal people with normal people problems. Really refreshing. Such a good film, and not just because it's got hippie Beau Bridges.
June 8, 2007
And I only got to see the last hour! Can't wait to see it from the beginning.
June 8, 2007
Great movie a sure classic. A romantic comedy about a Black couple falling in love in the 1960s.Its kind of funny.
June 7, 2007
the cutest movie about to white teens who set their unsuspecting maid up with a man who was reluctant to date her but instead fell in love
½ March 27, 2007
Sidney Poitier had me with his smile and charm. This movie had a great story line.