For Love of the Game - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

For Love of the Game Reviews

November 27, 2018
The Baseball Games Were More Interesting Than The Drama/Love Story Tagged Onto It All..Now When That's The Case, It's A Bizzare Situation, Mostly Because Baseball Is Generally Very, Very Boring. How Did It Come To This Kevin!??
November 23, 2018
A cheesy sports drama.
½ August 4, 2018
This is a great American Classic movie... not only because it is family friendly, but also because it is about baseball. I would recommend this movie to game lovers. It also has a bit of romance in the movie which would make it a good date night movie.
September 19, 2017
Good baseball movie and great cast
January 13, 2017
A baseball drama in which Kevin Costner pitches a perfect game. It's watchable, but very corny. (First and only full viewing - 5/12/2013)
January 7, 2017
WoW not sure what to say :-/ Kevin is a good actor but sure was wasted in this movie! More a love store (eek) if your into Love stories (not)! Kelly character was Horrible! so wishey washy. My husband watched the movie I sat there with him. I wanted more baseball he didn't mind the most being concentrated on their relationship. I could not Stand the Movie!!!! 0 stars from me
January 3, 2017
Overall it's a decent date movie. The baseball side of the story is good. The love story is pretty nauseating and unbelievable. Part of the reason is Kelly Preston is a pretty awful actress.
December 12, 2016
My favorite baseball movie of all time
September 16, 2016
One of the best films ever made. Kevin Costner, Kelly Preston & John C. Reilly turned a cheezy baseball film about an old player fighting to keep his job and stay in the game, into a deep and complex tour of the human experience of discovering love and the challenges one must overcome to fight to keep it. Absolutely changed how romantic, comedic dramas have been made since. Truly a revolutionary film!
July 9, 2016
A favorite of the the husband and I. "No but we can still be friends!" Hahaha
½ November 11, 2015
Inspirational story about the end of a pitchers' career.
October 28, 2015
Just watch the baseball scenes.
½ August 22, 2015
Those flashbacks will drive you nuts. As if baseball didn't drag on long enough, almost every inning or out of that Yankees game is punctuated by a memory.
August 10, 2015
seems interesting! ;)
½ July 24, 2015
Though not as regarded as Costner's more beloved Field of Dreams, this is a solid baseball flick.
July 6, 2015
I thought this was a wonderful movie.... too bad some people seem to dismiss.. Kevin Costner....
½ May 24, 2015
As a baseball movie it's watchable but as a romance it's horrible,,,,the weakest of Costner's baseball trilogy.
½ January 21, 2015
Kevin Costner usually does not interest me. I don't know if I'd call him a bad actor, it's just that his characters tend to be bland. But he is a baseball fan, and I think the films he has chosen in which the game is the subject matter tend to be his better films. I haven't seen most of them in a long long while, but I have recently re-watched this Sam Raimi baseball film: "For Love of the Game"...and when it focuses on the game and not the rather mundane/average love story, it is actually pretty good. The present day game Costner is pitching, and the interactions with other players in flashbacks are interesting, but the romance angle is a whole lot of bleh. Raimi is a better director than this - but the movie isn't unwatchable, because the true drama and tensity of what a real Perfect Game is like is there...but that stuff has enough weight that I don't care about his girlfriend issues too much, especially when they don't do anything new with that material.
½ November 18, 2014
A great and uplifting sports flick.
½ October 21, 2014
I'm not a fan of the game myself, and this film did nothing to change that, however, Costner's performance in addition to a well-written script managed to churn out an entertaining piece.