For Love of the Game - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

For Love of the Game Reviews

½ August 4, 2018
This is a great American Classic movie... not only because it is family friendly, but also because it is about baseball. I would recommend this movie to game lovers. It also has a bit of romance in the movie which would make it a good date night movie.
September 19, 2017
Good baseball movie and great cast
January 13, 2017
A baseball drama in which Kevin Costner pitches a perfect game. It's watchable, but very corny. (First and only full viewing - 5/12/2013)
January 7, 2017
WoW not sure what to say :-/ Kevin is a good actor but sure was wasted in this movie! More a love store (eek) if your into Love stories (not)! Kelly character was Horrible! so wishey washy. My husband watched the movie I sat there with him. I wanted more baseball he didn't mind the most being concentrated on their relationship. I could not Stand the Movie!!!! 0 stars from me
January 3, 2017
Overall it's a decent date movie. The baseball side of the story is good. The love story is pretty nauseating and unbelievable. Part of the reason is Kelly Preston is a pretty awful actress.
December 12, 2016
My favorite baseball movie of all time
September 16, 2016
One of the best films ever made. Kevin Costner, Kelly Preston & John C. Reilly turned a cheezy baseball film about an old player fighting to keep his job and stay in the game, into a deep and complex tour of the human experience of discovering love and the challenges one must overcome to fight to keep it. Absolutely changed how romantic, comedic dramas have been made since. Truly a revolutionary film!
July 9, 2016
A favorite of the the husband and I. "No but we can still be friends!" Hahaha
½ November 11, 2015
Inspirational story about the end of a pitchers' career.
October 28, 2015
Just watch the baseball scenes.
½ August 22, 2015
Those flashbacks will drive you nuts. As if baseball didn't drag on long enough, almost every inning or out of that Yankees game is punctuated by a memory.
August 10, 2015
seems interesting! ;)
½ July 24, 2015
Though not as regarded as Costner's more beloved Field of Dreams, this is a solid baseball flick.
July 6, 2015
I thought this was a wonderful movie.... too bad some people seem to dismiss.. Kevin Costner....
½ May 24, 2015
As a baseball movie it's watchable but as a romance it's horrible,,,,the weakest of Costner's baseball trilogy.
½ January 21, 2015
Kevin Costner usually does not interest me. I don't know if I'd call him a bad actor, it's just that his characters tend to be bland. But he is a baseball fan, and I think the films he has chosen in which the game is the subject matter tend to be his better films. I haven't seen most of them in a long long while, but I have recently re-watched this Sam Raimi baseball film: "For Love of the Game"...and when it focuses on the game and not the rather mundane/average love story, it is actually pretty good. The present day game Costner is pitching, and the interactions with other players in flashbacks are interesting, but the romance angle is a whole lot of bleh. Raimi is a better director than this - but the movie isn't unwatchable, because the true drama and tensity of what a real Perfect Game is like is there...but that stuff has enough weight that I don't care about his girlfriend issues too much, especially when they don't do anything new with that material.
½ November 18, 2014
A great and uplifting sports flick.
½ October 21, 2014
I'm not a fan of the game myself, and this film did nothing to change that, however, Costner's performance in addition to a well-written script managed to churn out an entertaining piece.
½ October 10, 2014
Overly long,overly soppy and the presence of baseball doesn't really help. Why did I watch it? Simple: Kevin Costner.
½ October 8, 2014
The Detroit Tigers travel to New York to play a season-ending series against the New York Yankees. At 63-98, the team has long since been eliminated from playoff contention and are playing for nothing but pride against the Yankees, who have a chance to clinch the American League East with a win. For 40-year-old pitcher Billy Chapel (Kevin Costner), however, this may end up being the most significant 24 hours of his life. In his Manhattan hotel suite, Billy awaits his girlfriend Jane Aubrey (Kelly Preston), but she doesn't show. The next morning, Billy is told by Tigers' owner Gary Wheeler (Brian Cox) that the team has been sold and that the new owners' first move will be to end Billy's 19-year tenure with the Tigers by trading him to the San Francisco Giants. Billy also learns from Jane that she is leaving that same day to accept a job offer in London. Billy is a famous, accomplished pitcher, but has a losing record this season, is near the end of his career and is also recovering from a hand injury. Wheeler hints that Billy should consider retiring rather than join another team. As he goes to Yankee Stadium to make his last start of the year, Billy begins reflecting about Jane, detailing how they met five years prior. As the game progresses, with friend and catcher Gus Sinski (John C. Reilly) aware that something is on Billy's mind other than baseball, Billy dominates the Yankees' batters, often talking to himself on how to pitch each one. While in the dugout resting between innings, Billy also reflects how his relationship with Jane was strained by his shutting her out of his life after he suffered a career-threatening injury in the off-season. The pain of pitching is getting worse as the game goes on. Billy is so caught up in his thoughts that he does not realize he is pitching a perfect game until he looks at the scoreboard in the bottom of the eighth inning. Gus confirms that no one has reached base, and says that the whole team is rallying behind Billy to do whatever it takes to keep the perfect game bid alive. Billy's shoulder pain has become intense by this point, and after he throws his first two pitches of the inning well out of the strike zone, Tigers manager Frank Perry (J. K. Simmons) makes the call to warm up two relief pitchers in the bullpen. The count goes to 3-0 before Billy recalls pitching to his father (now deceased) in the back yard. He rallies and throws a strike, then gets the batter out on the next pitch. Before the Tigers take the field for the bottom of the ninth inning, Billy has final ruminations about his career and his love for Jane. He autographs a baseball for Wheeler, who has been like a father to him for many years. Along with the signature, Billy also writes on the ball that he will retire "for love of the game."...

I admit, I like "Bull Durham" and "Fields Of Dreams", they are different from eachother but still has baseball as the pillar of the story. "For Love Of The Game" is not an exception and we get to see a great performance from Costner in a slightly similar role to the one he did in "Bull Durham". We are confronted by the difficulties of a relationship and the joy of a relationship, love, trust and as well the realisation that something is coming to an end and how you handle that. I love the idea of how Billy Chapel reflects on the past five years of his life from the pitchers mound and realising, that his life has been anything but perfect, despite the fact that he is pitching a perfect game at the same time. I think itīs well made and believable from many angles. Specifically the baseball games has been handled and shot in a great way and Sam Raimi takes you all along right down to the field to feel the action. I like for example that he crosscut a lot to "televised" shots during the final game in the movie, that gives the whole atmosphere a really authentic feeling with replays and all. Details, great details. Costner feels so at home in a movie like this, and the role itself is just made for Costner. The fact that he himself through god knows how many pitches during the shoot makes the whole environment glow from an in-depth live feeling of baseball. "For Love Of The Game" might have some sappy moments, but the general set up is of my liking.