For Love of the Game - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

For Love of the Game Reviews

May 8, 2014
this movie should have 75%
April 26, 2014
Great emotional film! Especially about love and baseball.
½ April 12, 2014
Shows the progress of a relationship while showing the last game of a pitcher's career. Raimi goes out of his comfort zone, Kelly Preston proves that there is more to her than just being the Travolta trophy wife and this is the sort of film that was made for Kevin Costner. I kind of love that when MLB plays a dramatic film this is the one they choose.
½ April 12, 2014
A very underrated sports movie. I love this film about the highs and lows of major league pitcher. Costner is excellent, and you can't beat Vin Scully calling the game.
½ March 13, 2014
This Rating is unjustified. Great Sound Track, Great Acting, Great Story.
March 2, 2014
I think I've watched this on DVD more than any other in my collection.
February 18, 2014
Although the romance is a little overlong, this is a sweeping, philosophical and mature film that captures the heart of baseball. They don't make 'em like this anymore.
February 2, 2014
Un bon drame romantique sportif ?
January 22, 2014
As a baseball movie, it's great , for anything else, it's bad. Personally, I love it.
½ January 21, 2014
A guilty pleasure of mine. It dips deep into melodrama repeatedly. If it were a puppet show I would say it fails at concealing the strings, as repeatedly the scenes feel forced. The acting, particularly from a young Jena Malone, is rather stilted, but Raimi always gets you from point A to point B with a certain charming flow even when the story, visuals, and the acting he's coaxing from his players aren't top notch, and that element is present here. He tells the story well even if the story itself isn't that great, and with the backdrop of a perfect game of baseball he pulls me in for the ride every time.
January 14, 2014
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
½ December 30, 2013
Great baseball film to watch, Kevin Costner has another great performance in this semi confusing movie. The thing it does bad is not really have great transitions between memories being played back and the present.
December 15, 2013
Sappy; but I love this movie
October 23, 2013
Longer than it needs to be, and sappy/predictable at times, but overall really enjoyable. I liked how Costner's character was reflecting on his career throughout the game. I feel that very few baseball movies show the pitcher alone on the mound with his thoughts. It's usually pretty rare. All in all, this is a good, likable baseball film. Worth seeing if you're a legitimate baseball fan.
September 30, 2013
A fun premise for baseball fans, but somewhere in this 2 and a half hour mess there's a movie. Although it's kind of fitting that Kevin Costner made us love baseball movies in the 80s and then killed that love in the late 90s.
½ September 29, 2013
I'm a sucker...a sap and this movie still gets me. No matter how much I dislike KC.
September 1, 2013
So trite and predictable.
½ August 21, 2013
It's a baseball movie, yet it's a love story. I don't know. But in the end, everybody wins. *YAWN*
blkbomb
August 18, 2013
Vin Scully: The cathedral that is Yankee Stadium belongs to a Chapel.

"Billy Chapel must choose between the woman he loves or the game he lives for."

For Love of the Game is a movie that I thoroughly enjoyed. It's sort of weird that it has taken me this long to get to it. I love baseball and I really like Costner because of his love for two of my loves, movies and baseball. This may not be the best baseball themed movie he's starred in, but it's another great one. There's passion in it and in the end it is a really worthwhile, heartfelt, and inspiring film.

Billy Chapel is an aging pitcher for the Detroit Tigers; he's forty to be exact. He was drafted right out of high school at the age of 18 and he quickly became one of the best pitchers in the game, and a sure fire hall of famer. Now with his career coming to close, he finds himself in New York and he's getting the start. The day of the game he finds out two pieces of bad news, firstly the owner of the Tigers, whom Chapel has been extremely close to for years is selling the team and the buyers plan on trading Chapel after the season. Secondly, Chapel's girl, who has been casually seeing for years is leaving for a job in London. When Chapel takes the hill for the game, he begins flirting with a perfect game, as a he flashes back to his relationship with the girl he loves.

The movie can come off as somewhat corny at times, but for the most part it seems honest and real. It's hard to describe exactly how this movie made me feel throughout, but there was a lot of emotion that came with the story and the backstory. I loved the way the flashbacks were used throughout the game and I loved the raw emotion of the character that is Billy Chapel and how Costner brought that character to life.

This is one that all baseball fans and fans of baseball movies need to see. It's not the best of the genre, but it is still a far above average addition. It's powerful at times, funny at times, sad at times, and fun at times. The movie is a roller coaster of different emotions and it all ends up working pretty well together.
½ August 17, 2013
Great movie about Love and Baseball! Kevin Costner never fails to deliver an impressive emotional performance! He makes you both love and hate him in the same movie! He also makes you see yourself, strengths and weaknesses in the characters he plays!