For Love of the Game - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

For Love of the Game Reviews

July 14, 2014
Costner is great but not as great as Draft Day. Ages 11+
June 25, 2014
Gotta give this 5 stars. I liked it just as much as I did when I saw it (way) back in 99. It's stood up well. Kevin Costner is excellent as aging Detroit Tigers pitcher 'Billy Chapel' and looks just like one of the pro's out on the field. Told for the most part through flashbacks, this starts at the end and then goes back as Billy "clear's the mechanism" and begins pitching in what could potentially be his last game, as his team has just been sold and the new owners have plans to trade him. Throughout this game he reflects on his life, 18yr career and on-again-off-again relationship with 'Jane' (Kelly Preston) which has also reached a impasse. For the most part this is baseball movie and it gets super exciting as Billy unknowingly nears a perfect game, debates retirement and Jane winds her way through the airport on her way to England. I'm not sure what the critics ever thought of this but I think its fantastic; great story, told in a clever way, sweet well portrayed romance and just a classic sports movie. Also enjoyed John C Reilly as his catcher and his relationship with former owner (Brian Cox.) The game has changed.6/21/14
June 8, 2014
Advertises itself as a baseball movie, but is just worthless romance between two actors, Costner and Preston, who don't even have good chemistry. John C Reilly excels in a supporting role, however, and the small segments of baseball actually look like Kevin Costner is good at it.
May 8, 2014
this movie should have 75%
April 26, 2014
Great emotional film! Especially about love and baseball.
½ April 12, 2014
Shows the progress of a relationship while showing the last game of a pitcher's career. Raimi goes out of his comfort zone, Kelly Preston proves that there is more to her than just being the Travolta trophy wife and this is the sort of film that was made for Kevin Costner. I kind of love that when MLB plays a dramatic film this is the one they choose.
½ April 12, 2014
A very underrated sports movie. I love this film about the highs and lows of major league pitcher. Costner is excellent, and you can't beat Vin Scully calling the game.
½ March 13, 2014
This Rating is unjustified. Great Sound Track, Great Acting, Great Story.
March 2, 2014
I think I've watched this on DVD more than any other in my collection.
February 18, 2014
Although the romance is a little overlong, this is a sweeping, philosophical and mature film that captures the heart of baseball. They don't make 'em like this anymore.
February 2, 2014
Un bon drame romantique sportif ?
January 22, 2014
As a baseball movie, it's great , for anything else, it's bad. Personally, I love it.
½ January 21, 2014
A guilty pleasure of mine. It dips deep into melodrama repeatedly. If it were a puppet show I would say it fails at concealing the strings, as repeatedly the scenes feel forced. The acting, particularly from a young Jena Malone, is rather stilted, but Raimi always gets you from point A to point B with a certain charming flow even when the story, visuals, and the acting he's coaxing from his players aren't top notch, and that element is present here. He tells the story well even if the story itself isn't that great, and with the backdrop of a perfect game of baseball he pulls me in for the ride every time.
January 14, 2014
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
½ December 30, 2013
Great baseball film to watch, Kevin Costner has another great performance in this semi confusing movie. The thing it does bad is not really have great transitions between memories being played back and the present.
December 15, 2013
Sappy; but I love this movie
October 23, 2013
Longer than it needs to be, and sappy/predictable at times, but overall really enjoyable. I liked how Costner's character was reflecting on his career throughout the game. I feel that very few baseball movies show the pitcher alone on the mound with his thoughts. It's usually pretty rare. All in all, this is a good, likable baseball film. Worth seeing if you're a legitimate baseball fan.
September 30, 2013
A fun premise for baseball fans, but somewhere in this 2 and a half hour mess there's a movie. Although it's kind of fitting that Kevin Costner made us love baseball movies in the 80s and then killed that love in the late 90s.
½ September 29, 2013
I'm a sucker...a sap and this movie still gets me. No matter how much I dislike KC.
September 1, 2013
So trite and predictable.