For Me and My Gal - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

For Me and My Gal Reviews

December 5, 2009
WWII-era musical most notable for Gene Kelly's big-screen debut as a shady, morally ambiguous vaudevillian who teams up with an effervescent Judy Garland. A kaleidoscope of classic song and dance numbers is strung together with a cliched but charming plot. Great nostalgic entertainment.
½ October 7, 2009
4.5/5 stars-A great musical that is really not one, save for a few stage perfomances here and there. Judy Garland is well, Judy before the downfall, and she shows why she is perhaps the greatest actress who ever lived (my opinion). This is Gene Kelly's first film, but you wouldn't be able to tell without being informed, because he is spot on and brilliant from the get go. I docked a half star because the last fourth of the movie takes a sharp pro-armed forces turn (this film was made right in the heart of World War II, and even has a PSA to "purchase war bonds at this theater" at the end) that comes out of nowhere. It was a cute little film before that, and then seems like propaganda. Good propaganda for sure, but it didn't fit in. Still, worth a viewing just for the chemistry between Judy and Gene alone.
½ August 21, 2009
If you really like Judy and Gene, I'd stick to Summer Stock although this does have some lovely patriotic songs at the end.
½ August 17, 2009
Gene Kelly's debut and he certainly danced into the movie scene amazingly. He and Garland really were a great pair and they sing and dance together just so well. "Why didn't you tell me I was in love with you?!" Is the best line of the movie.

Unfortunately the third act feels dated but was probably necessary for the time given that there was a war on and war bonds to sell. Although it feels almost disconnected with the first two acts.
August 16, 2009
If this movie was simply Gene Kelly and Judy Garland exchanging quips and singing and dancing in a coffee shop, then it would still be entertaining. But that's really not all it is. This movie is more like a drama/romance than a musical, in the way that there are some songs, but there is more story than numbers. Yes, the idea is an old one, but there are a few twists that distinguish it from any other wartime romance. The little plot weaknesses are forgotten as the actors hold it all together. I recommend For Me and My Gal, unless you're dead-set on a tear-free day.
May 5, 2009
It was in this film the world first laid eyes on Gene Kelly - and what an introduction it was! Yes, it is a blatant pro war/USA propaganda film - 'what are you doing for the boys?' - the shame bestowed upon Kelly's Harry after intentionally injuring himself to avoid being drafted - the heroic reconciliation after he returns home with a medal - there's no denying the underlying tones here. From the point of view of someone so far removed from WW2, the war and what it involved for Americans is romanticised to the extreme here - but it's still a solid film, with wonderful turns from Kelly and Garland and the happy, romantic ending that makes the rocky trip worthwhile. The title song 'For me and my gal' sang as the pair unite for the first time and reunite in the closing scene, acts as the perfect bookend to a beautiful (and patriotic) story.
March 23, 2009
This is one of my favorites of Judy Garland's films. The story is really good. This film shows the actions that a man would take to get out from being drafted by the army and help him and his fiance be able to marry and perform at the one place that they've both been waiting their entire lives to perform. This has classic vaudeville songs and Judy is in her prime of singing.
March 22, 2009
Gene Kelly and Judy Garland make a great onscreen duo in this classic!
½ February 23, 2009
It's alright, but I felt sorry for the other guy!
February 13, 2009
Essentially a vehicle for pro-WWII propaganda, it's nothing special save for the fact that it introduced the world to Gene Kelly. He worked well with Judy, though, and the songs are good.
½ February 13, 2009
I totally dug this. The music was nice, the acting was great, and the dance numbers weren't excessively long. It also felt like it was sending mixed messages about what was actually happening in the story... it came off surprisingly anti-war to me, and slightly more salacious than they could have said out loud.
½ February 4, 2009
I wanted to like this movie but couldn't warm up to it. Maybe it was the excessive vaudeville acts or the somewhat mediocre dance pieces and unmemorable music. Overall the plot didn't seem cohesive and after the 1st half it seemed to be a different, non-musical movie. I was also annoyed by Jimmy, the unrequited lover who's just too pathetic it's annoying. Maybe it's just because MGM didn't know how to use Kelly yet...
January 31, 2009
i thing gene is the cutest guy ever and judy is gorgeous as always...when these two voices collide, you get one of the greatest musicals of all time. george murphy is pretty freaking awesome, too!
January 23, 2009
I cannot believe I have not seen this yet! Well...there are so many great films out there and o so little time to watch them all!
January 4, 2009
So silly and predictable but so rewarding to watch!
December 1, 2008
I would have enjoyed this a lot more if the plot was fleshed out and cogent. Instead, it serves as a vehicle to move to multiple set pieces featuring the undeniably talented Judy Garland and Gene Kelly. I did enjoy the musical numbers and old-timey songs that were even old-timey when this movie came out. Not bad, but there are definitely far better musicals out there.
November 17, 2008
There is a reason this my #1 movie of all time.
½ September 27, 2008
Not bad for a movie in a genre I don't really care for. Obviously, it's no Singing in the Rain, but there are some good songs. Judy Garland and Gene Kelly do make it easy on the eyes.
½ September 27, 2008
Gene Kelly a coward and a draft dodger?
September 18, 2008
Judy and Gene made magic whenever they acted, danced and sang together.