For Pete's Sake - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

For Pete's Sake Reviews

April 28, 2018
Not as funny as I remember, but also, not that bad. some inspired lunacy along the way produces genuine laughs, while other scenes fall flat and hit a bump. The cast is game, and the situations our wacky heroine finds herself in are often quite entertaining.
½ August 24, 2016
Cute but forgettable Streisand flick.
December 5, 2015
I never saw it. but whatevs. go BABZ!!!!
½ July 21, 2013
Amusing but light romp. Another ditzy blond tries to do good for her husband.
½ November 10, 2012
Use to watch it all the time with my mom, i liked it
April 23, 2012
another funny rom-com
January 10, 2011
gotta love streisand's character in this movie.
½ July 17, 2010
I love Barbra Streisand's films. This one is really funny. Sadly I am aware that she is an acquired taste and so many people will skip her movies and miss out on just how talented an actress she truly is.
½ May 17, 2010
6.5/10. Much funnier than I was expecting it to be, fast moving and very amusing. It's Barbra Streisand's film all the way, but Molly Picon has a funny supporting role. Entertaining.
jjnxn
½ April 15, 2010
Babs is always worth watching but this is definitely one of her lesser films.
½ March 21, 2010
still makes me laugh a modern screwball comedy that brings the funny
December 8, 2009
October 29, 2009
Absolutely adorable! I thought I'd die laughing in some parts. Very cute and well-acted. I was glad that Barbra only sang the song during the credits tho. As much as I love her voice, I get annoyed if she magically finds reason to sing in every movie. I loved it!
March 20, 2009
Barbra Streisand is good in this movie. She sells her body to pay off the mafia.
October 23, 2008
I have to tell you this was one of the funniest movies I have ever seen and if you haven't had a chance to see Barbara Streisand in comedy, You need to...I want to buy this movie
July 17, 2008
How good can it be with Barbra Streisand in it?
April 10, 2008
Barbara Streisand once farted so hard that a bubble floated out of Marc Singer's noise. Inside that orb, there was NBA great Olden Polynice and a hologram of Pat Morita. Once, the bubble popped, there was a fragrance omitted that caused the sun to go dark. Then, her reign of terror started; first music, then movies, and finally her love of hearing orgasms. Where will the evil stop? I suspect in Oprah's dungeon.
March 22, 2008
I actually really like this movie. It is just silly fun. No profundities, nothing too serious. It's Barbra and some weird johns, a loan shark, a madame, a smart ass maid and a bunch of cattle.

What more do you need for an inane 70s comedy that was trying to be a second What's Up Doc?

The dvd has a director's commentary that is, sometimes, kind of interesting.

My personal favourite moments:

When the dog is barking at her on top of the subway car and she screams.

When she runs into the cops and says "no, no! There's a pervert chasing me!"

When the maid says "I can't use ya, I already got a Puerto Rican" and Barbra gives her that deadpan look and says "mmm mmm!"

Please note the stupidity of Michael Sarrazin wearing underpants to film the bathtub scene. Stupid
February 24, 2008
A little seen, light-as-air romantic comedy that even escapes some Streisand fans, "For Pete's Sake" - while not one of Bab's more memorable films - is still entirely delightful. The humor is a little more subtle than some of her better known comedies ("The Owl and the Pussycat", "What's Up, Doc?"), but overall it's one chuckle-worthy little film, and 100% enjoyable, although (in true fairy tale fashion) everything tidies up a little too conveniently in the end. Still, if you're in the mood for a playful romantic comedy, give this one a look.
½ January 1, 2008
This wasn't all that funny. It would have helped if I liked the husband character, but he wasn't developed well enough. I thought he was just boring; if he'd been likeable/lovable, I'd have empathized with Henry (Barbra) more. Lacking empathy with the motive, the crime doesn't seduce me. And the crime was 86 minutes.