For the Boys - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

For the Boys Reviews

February 27, 2017
Bette Midler is fantastic in this movie managing to create variety of emotions from laughter to tears. the movie manages to mix some action with musical elements to keep the movie entertaining and movie the story along.
½ February 15, 2016
Nothing is convincing in this film, from the awkward and sudden tonal shifts to the cheap production values to the unintentionally hilarious performances . . . out of all the times James Caan has been miscast in a movie, this has to be one of the worst.
July 9, 2015
For the Boys is a disappoint film. It is about Dixie Leonard who reunites with Eddie Sparks for one final show. Bette Midler and James Caan give horrible performances. The screenplay is badly written. Mark Rydell did a horrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
½ April 1, 2015
More like for the trash heap..
March 7, 2015
The movie rides solidly on Bette Midler's humor and singing ability, which she more than delivers in a film that, more often than not, falls flat with hokey sentiment and lacking subtlety,
February 26, 2015
Entertaining and poignant in a good way. Bette Midler and James Caan are great entertainers.
February 27, 2014
Meme s'il n'y a rien d'exceptionnel dans cette histoire d'entertainers qui passent leur vie a sillonner les guerres a travers l'histoire des USA pour remonter le moral des troupes, sans doute a cause de la mise en scene academique de Mark Rydell et du scenario qui ne raconte que la petite histoire sans jamais parvenir a faire le parallele avec la grande Histoire, For the Boys est assez divertissant pour qu'on accepte les 2h20 du metrage. Les interpretations de Bette Midler, de James Caan et de George Segal n'y sont pas pour rien, tout comme la bande-son, parfaite. Aussitot vu, aussitot oublie.
December 17, 2013
Can't believe this movie is over twenty years old. I loved it then and love it now. And , yes, I still cry at it.
½ February 16, 2013
My favorite thing about watching Bette Midler movies is her wonderful singing.
November 30, 2012
This was possibly one of the most under rated films of Bette Midler's career, check it out.
½ November 11, 2012
Bette Midler gives an outstanding performance! The story is touching, funny and entertaining. Somewhat of a reflection on the outside perspective of war.
½ October 28, 2012
Had I not been painting while watching this movie I would have probably hunted down the director and punched him in the balls... if he had any. Why is Bette Midler famous?

2008 Movies: 55
July 8, 2012
One of Bettes Best films,very underated
½ June 14, 2012
This film has some sentimentality. A comedy duo travel all over the world and experience heartbreak and snags in Life.A sad scene that moved me,is when Eddie and Dixie are in the war zone; How can one watch young men get killed and not feel distraught? In spite of their differences,the two realize they still had love for each other.Beautiful performance by Midler and Caan.
May 12, 2012
This movie has something for everyone!. It has Drama,Action & a love story. This is the kind of movie you will want to add to your collection! And a movie that you will want to see it over and over againg!
½ April 13, 2012
Thats a short skirt Dixie!
April 10, 2012
technically its not a musical, but the music in it is worth it!
½ January 11, 2012
This movie didn't do well, at the box office, but I really enjoyed it. It is an engaging story line. The songs performed by Bette Midler are great. It isn't Oscar material, quite good, just the same.
½ December 6, 2011
A fabulous showcase of music and drama. As a mother, listening to Dixie's speech about how it was hard when her husband died but a total betrayal when she lost her son, I don't know how anyone could not be moved. One of my personal favorites.
September 25, 2011