For the Love of Movies: The Story of American Film Criticism - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

For the Love of Movies: The Story of American Film Criticism Reviews

November 22, 2014
Nothing groundbreaking, but it is something that's insightful and intriguing.
½ September 29, 2014
For the Love of Movies is a lovingly made but dated and superficial documentary. Many of my heroes were interviewed!
½ August 24, 2014
One of the best documentaries I've ever seen that's so inspirational and very informative by its insights on film criticism of the past and the present. It's a must-see for film buffs and for those who want to be a movie critic. (A)

(Full review coming soon)
½ July 4, 2014
It's a very educational and very entertaining look at the history and rise of film criticism, even though the documentary feels like it wants to end sooner than later.
March 8, 2014
Interesting doc that will appeal most to those who either are, or are hoping to one day become, professional film critics.
It's a bit of a downer as it more or less leaves you with the notion that film criticism is only something you can break into accidentally, so why try? On the other hand, with blogging and online magazines so popular now, who the hell can't watch a movie and write their opinion of it on the internet? You just may never get paid for that opinion.
January 4, 2014
Maravilloso documental sobre el oficio (en via de extincion) de ser "critico de cine".Excelente
July 9, 2013
I Love Movies, 1941's Citizen Kane Is My Favorite Film.
½ October 18, 2012
A love letter to film...and to themselves.
May 23, 2012
A lame A&E-style waste of time in general. It starts out as an interesting (if not particularly engaging) history lesson, then devolves into some creaky, confused polemic about "these dang kids and their computers" and a bunch of other slapdash nonsense.
March 6, 2011
good history with some insight into the critics who rate the movies
½ March 24, 2010
I saw this at the Cleveland International Film Fest. The director, Gerald Peary, was there to answers questions and meet people after the movie.

I really liked the look into the history of film criticism. The doc highlights the earliest players, the major players, and the major events tied to people who wrote about movies through the twentieth century. At the advent of the computer, the doc falters in seeing the real diversity of people writing about movies online, or foreseeing a bit more of social networking's effect on how audiences choose what movie to see. This documentary originally screened at festivals early in 2009 and the director said it was nine years in the making. As most people are aware, the rate of change in technology is fast and accelerating, so I really can't hold it against Mr. Peary that he could not see the popularity of sites like Flixster, Facebook, and Twitter affecting how friends recommend movies to other friends. It simply is the case that the last chapter of the movie on the apparent end of print journalism and the explosion of online reviews with anyone thinking they can be a film critic has already become quite dated.

I enjoyed the interviews with several famous film critics. I appreciated being able to put a face and voice with many of the names. I would have liked to see the interviews structured better with the through line of the doc's story. The graphics could have been better and the editing lagged especially between chapters. Overall it was a worthwhile picture about a topic I love.
March 23, 2010
Admittedly I am a sucker for docs about film but this was so interesting I bought the DVD after the showing from the director. Shows how film criticism grew from nothing to giants like Pauline Kael and how it may devolve into Internet noise spouted by people with handles like "hotmom23" (by the way, I made that handle up. No offense to any real hotmom23).
½ January 19, 2010
What begins as an exciting exploration of film criticism, ends up becoming too simplistic and poorly edited. There are most definitely a few great highlights, especially during film criticism's heyday (we get to see Pauline Kael!), but ultimately this documentary lacks polish and a certain cutting edge.
½ January 1, 2010
A good introduction to the history of film criticism. It tries for balance, but I found the film leaned towards the naive view that criticism is threatened by the populist new media -- film blogs and such. Certainly the print-related jobs of the old guard are threatened, but good writing will always have a place, whether on the internet or elsewhere.

Criticism does not exist on its own. It is a by-product of film, the beginning of a discussion. Without film critiques and reporting, it would be harder to track down important films, but that's a service film writing provides -- just as you can't have criticism without the primary source, there needs to be a response and continuation of the criticism by the masses. It can't exist in a vacuum.
November 27, 2009
want to see love movies especialy fucking movies
½ October 27, 2009
For the Love of Movies is an well made, informative documentary that gives moviegoers a brief glimpse of film criticism history and takes a hard look at its current, depressing state today.
October 15, 2009
interesting review of the part played by the movie critic
October 11, 2009
Quite the interesting documentary with a lot of great information on the emergence and evolution of film criticism within our culture. It is a bit dry in the beginning, but eventually it gets to the good stuff and it's especially interesting if you're familiar with some of the major critics that are featured in the film, such as Kael, Sarris, Scott, Gleiberman, etc. I think it may appeal more to film students for that reason alone (the section on the auteur theory really brought me back!) but I think there's still something there for the regular viewer also.
September 25, 2009
Add a review (optional)...