For Whom the Bell Tolls - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

For Whom the Bell Tolls Reviews

½ June 30, 2016
Good parts, but overly long
½ January 25, 2016
Some good melodrama set in the mountains of Spain. Although it is slow, it still is well Made and beautiful.
January 4, 2016
Excelling in character dynamics and message, lacking in pace and production values, and swaying back on forth in dialogue, For Whom the Bell Tolls will still leave you emotionally drained at the end, and has lasted longer than many would say it has any right to.
November 18, 2014
Its politics might be somewhat vague. Nevertheless, it is told with poetry and strength. I have lately been reading "they don't make them like they used to", and films like these prove that such statement is entirely true.
½ February 27, 2014
Hemingway wrote this with only gary cooper in mind gr8 chemistry between cooper and bergman.
½ November 24, 2013
While not on the level of "similar" classics, this is still a great film worth watching and an ever important history! The only reel downside is the incredible annoying soundtrack that overemphasize in every single scene exactly how you are supposed to feel at that moment.
½ August 27, 2013
Once again, we have the dullness of a Gary Cooper performance ruining an adaptation of Hemingway. Cooper bumbles and fumbles all through the backdrop of the Spanish Civil War providing us with little that is memorable.
August 27, 2013
Would rather read the book in this instance. Love Gary Cooper and Ingrid Bergman but this one is too long and did not keep me interested.
June 9, 2013
Papa picked Coop and Bergman particularly to play his leads (no doubt as swept by Hollywood charisma as anyone) in his tale of an American abroad fighting for his beliefs. Its a good story, like Papa a bit in love with itself, and magnificent simply for the fact that Coop theoretically's the only Anglo around (there ain't many like that). The character player cast all shine. I loved this.
June 2, 2013
At 170 minutes the first half of the archivally restored version drags on and on; the original theatrical release was trimmed to 134 minutes for good reason. Hemingway was unhappy with both versions, correctly claiming the political context of his novel had been ignored.

Ingrid Bergman in her first role after Casablanca is radiant; a vibrant Katina Paxinou won a well deserved Oscar for her Pilar. Paxinou plays off Cooper well and gives us a tantalizing glimpse of her fiery younger self. The rest of the guerilla band, including the great Akim Tamiroff, unfortunately come off as cartoonish.
April 19, 2013
It really wasn't that good.
½ April 15, 2013
An extra half-star for Katina Paxinou's performance in the film. Wonderful!
½ January 26, 2013
Ingrid Bergman's overacting suffocates this movie. And the damage is further snowed by the script that has this woman (Ingrid), who has been traumatized by the horrible indignities of war, instantly and painfully fall hopelessly in love with the new gringo in camp. This fella, by the way, is old enough to be her father. This is all done distastefully. Yuck!
October 2, 2012
One of the first great psychological war dramas. Which is interesting because I know Hemingway hated it.

Had a change of heart. Changed from 2 and a half stars.
½ September 3, 2012
This old book-adaptation was obviously underwhelming but it was still watchable despite its small, cheap visuals and the fact that it overstayed its welcome!
July 22, 2012
great movie - great novel - underrated today
½ May 17, 2012
Gary Cooper can't act and ruins this film. This is a really great American novel and it could have been much better.
March 4, 2012
Although pale in comparison to the novel, and vague regarding the war itself, this is an adequate adaptation in the light of when it was made.
January 22, 2012
A bit too literal and Ingrid Bergman is terribly miscast but still a great movie.
½ January 7, 2012
OK-ish, but not great. Plot drifts, and the movie is overly long. Some decent editing and this could have been an hour shorter and much more coherent.

Despite starring greats Gary Cooper and Ingrid Bergman (whose previous film was Casablanca), the performances are unconvincing. Cooper and Bergman don't seem to gel well. The supporting cast are woeful.

I haven't read the book, but I am sure it is better than the movie.