Forbidden Zone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Forbidden Zone Reviews

June 18, 2016
A surprisingly good movie.
½ May 2, 2016
Some perv made an Arthouse movie and it became a cult classic.. This style of movie does not appeal to me in the slightest
½ February 4, 2016
Hmm, how to describe Forbidden Zone to someone who hasn't seen it? Well, first of all, I'd tell them that they need to familiarize themselves with the music of Oingo Boingo, specifically their early stuff. Once they've done that then this movie might be a little easier to swallow. I personally see it as a piece of artistic filmmaking, with lots of different tricks up its sleeve: live action, animation, black and white photography, matte paintings, musical numbers, models, etc. It's an insane but well-made piece of filmmaking. It's also one of the best musicals you're ever likely to see. The music and the lyrics are unorthodox, but I like that. And the plot doesn't really matter, which is maybe its main flaw. Not that it really needs a strong through line, but it's a little difficult to wrap your head around on the first viewing. It's also exhausting to watch because of how frenetic and crazy it is, but there's nothing else like it. It's unique, and that makes it special.
½ August 31, 2015
Up there with one of the most bizarre films I have ever seen, this is composer Danny Elfman's very first score for a film. Danny also appears as Satan and the film is directed by his brother Richard Elfman. Essentially this is a musical theatre performance by the Mystic Knights of the Oingo Bongo mixed with animation by John Muto (who went on to become a popular Hollywood production designer) and starring the unforgettable Susan Tyrrell and Hervé Villechaize. I'm pretty sure Tim Burton and John Waters have this one in their collections and that Andy Warhol would too if he were still alive.
November 12, 2014
One of the most bizarre feast for the eyes and ears you'll ever watch. I recommend you seek this movie but the black and white version is much better.
November 9, 2014
***Due to the recent RT changes that have basically ruined my past reviews, I mostly only giving a rating rather than a full review.***
May 19, 2014
Low budget avant-garde insanity!!
½ April 10, 2014
You stand at the mouth of the wasteland. Void of light, hope, or even the love of God. This is the Forbidden Zone. Ignore the jackals who lie within, for they claim paradise where there is only death and madness. This movie will insult people of all races, creeds, genders, and beliefs. Or it will at least make you feel disturbed. For even the most sick and twisted man will find no humor here. This film will not leave you the same as it found you. This is the Forbidden Zone, and it's scars run deep.
½ March 30, 2014
The strangest film I've ever seen.
September 1, 2013
I don't know what I just watched. It was both incredibly stupid but strangely exhilarating. When I thought maybe it was trying too hard to be ridiculous, it all of the sudden felt weirdly genuine. Although it has little to no story, and it is not a good film, there are a few great moments that I think I could watch over and over again. Definitely think it's a better midnight movie than Rocky Horror. I just have no idea where to even begin on this one.
½ June 22, 2013
Forbidden Zone is one of the craziest and campy movies out there! Great!
May 29, 2013
Indescribably weird, fun musical; a cult film extraordinaire.
½ April 15, 2013
Must confess I was watching this for Danny Elfman and his music alone, but I got a lot more than I could have possibly expected. This is in no way a movie for everyone, but if nonsense and awesome music appeals to you, go for it! It's loads of fun and has weirdness enough to scar you (in a good way) for life. These Elfman kids are quite something.
March 19, 2013
This quickly became a favorite within the first minutes. A very absurd and cartoony aesthetic with a nice mix of Rocky Horror Picture Show comes something truly entertaining and well crafted. The soundtrack is amazing. Forbidden Zone is truly one of a kind
February 3, 2013
This is the sistine chapel of offensive, innovative low budget cult films. Directed by Danny Elfman's brother with a black-and-white aesthetic that recalls silent film and paper set peices that ridicule German Expressionism. It is kind of like the Cabinet of Dr. Caligari opened into an alternate universe ruled by the littte person from "Fantasy Island," his irascible and jealous queen, their gratuitously topless daughter, frog butlers and the devil. With dialogue like "The chickens will always be there to help you!!!" what is not to love?
January 27, 2013
One by one, a cartoonish family is sucked into the 6th Dimension (ruled by king Herve Villachez and queen Susan Tyrell) in this cult musical comedy. Wild, weird and utterly unique, like a mixture of Jean Cocteau, the Three Stooges, and Betty Boop cartoons, with Busby Berkley-style choreography and music by Oingo Boingo.
½ January 22, 2013
Weird flippin' film! An experimental masterpiece!!! Danny Elfman as the Devil rules!
½ January 18, 2013
Very strange movie, it gives one a small peek into what the "Knights Of The Oingo Boingo" were like back when they were a theater group. This one is more for the fans of the band and fans of bizarre humor.
January 8, 2013
My jaw was dropped the first time I watch this mental masterpiece! I never seen something so insane! Everytime I watch it, a part of my sanity disappears, and I willingly allow it! One of the greatest movies in the history of movies!!
½ December 5, 2012
WTF! i dunno what to say its hands down the trippiest movie ever made