Forbidden Zone Reviews

• Mar 03, 2020

#1 on my list of favorite cult movies, because of Oingo Boingo and the Kipper Kids.

• Feb 13, 2020

A must watch for anyone seeking a cult classic experience

A must watch for anyone seeking a cult classic experience

• Feb 04, 2017

Cult-film lovers rejoice! Imagine splicing episodes of The Banana Splits/H.R. PufNStuff with a 1950s era stag film, then mix in some industrial strength psilocybin, and that approximates the experience of watching this movie. It will disturb your subconscious for a distressing week. Also, insanely politically incorrect, including some major blackface, a painfully offensive Jewish moneychanger in the 6th dimension, and plenty of gay jokes. So what ever happened to Giselle Lindley, anyway?

• Jun 18, 2016

A surprisingly good movie.

A surprisingly good movie.

• May 02, 2016

Some perv made an Arthouse movie and it became a cult classic.. This style of movie does not appeal to me in the slightest

• Aug 29, 2015

Up there with one of the most bizarre films I have ever seen, this is composer Danny Elfman's very first score for a film. Danny also appears as Satan and the film is directed by his brother Richard Elfman. Essentially this is a musical theatre performance by the Mystic Knights of the Oingo Bongo mixed with animation by John Muto (who went on to become a popular Hollywood production designer) and starring the unforgettable Susan Tyrrell and Hervé Villechaize. I'm pretty sure Tim Burton and John Waters have this one in their collections and that Andy Warhol would too if he were still alive.

• Nov 12, 2014

One of the most bizarre feast for the eyes and ears you'll ever watch. I recommend you seek this movie but the black and white version is much better.

• Nov 09, 2014

***Due to the recent RT changes that have basically ruined my past reviews, I mostly only giving a rating rather than a full review.***

• Sep 05, 2014

Hmm, how to describe Forbidden Zone to someone who hasn't seen it? Well, first of all, I'd tell them that they need to familiarize themselves with the music of Oingo Boingo, specifically their early stuff. Once they've done that then this movie might be a little easier to swallow. I personally see it as a piece of artistic filmmaking, with lots of different tricks up its sleeve: live action, animation, black and white photography, matte paintings, musical numbers, models, etc. It's an insane but well-made piece of filmmaking. It's also one of the best musicals you're ever likely to see. The music and the lyrics are unorthodox, but I like that. And the plot doesn't really matter, which is maybe its main flaw. Not that it really needs a strong through line, but it's a little difficult to wrap your head around on the first viewing. It's also exhausting to watch because of how frenetic and crazy it is, but there's nothing else like it. It's unique, and that makes it special.

• May 19, 2014

Low budget avant-garde insanity!!

Low budget avant-garde insanity!!