Force 10 From Navarone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Force 10 From Navarone Reviews

½ July 2, 2012
Harrison Ford wasn't Indy or a well astablished Han Solo yet. He was an awesome adventure actor however and he really shows that off in this great WWll movie.
July 1, 2012
An excellent sequel headed by Shaw and Ford
June 16, 2012
You really cannot go wrong with any movie that stars Robert Shaw, Harrison Ford, Barbara Bach and Edward Fox and this movie - although blasted by the critics upon its release really is a great war movie.
Many saw this as a dissapointment due to its attachment to the Guns of Navarone, but if it is taken up on its own merits then one can see that this is really nothing more than a fun movie for funs sake, no serious character studies here and the movie is all the better for it.
Bond fans will notice a number of actors in this movie that had already occupied roles in the Bond franchise or would go on to appesar in the series. In addition to Shaw (from "From Russia With Love") and Bach (who was fresh off playing the Russian spy Anya Amasova in "The Spy Who Loved Me") and Edward Fox (who would go on to play M in the rogue 007 movie "Never Say Never Again") there is also Bach's co-star from "The Spy Who Loved Me" Richard Kiel, who was riding high as somewhat of a cultural icon (hey, he appeared in a Shredded Wheat TV commercial) after playing Jaws.
I suppose the Bond connection is most apparent in the choice of director with "Goldfinger"'s director Guy Hamilton handling the honors.
The plot of the movie is also very different from the MacLean book, but some good Boy's Own adventure. Shaw plays Mallory (yes the same character that Gregory Peck played in the original) and he and Fox's character (who was played by David Niven in the original) are sent into Yugoslavia to identify and kill a traitor from the first movie. So, they hop a ride along with Force 10 (headed by Ford's character) who are headed to the same location with the mission of destroying a key, strategic bridge. Of coursre things do not go entirely to plan, and soon the action begins to come thick and fast.
A movie that would get a lot more respect if it didn't have the name "Navarone" attached to it.
June 10, 2012
Was weak compared to the original.
May 19, 2012
Sequel of sorts to The Guns of Navarone the tale of behind enemy lines heroism and sacrifice. Tying the two films together with shots of those iconic guns at the start sets things up nicely and the movie movies on a pace with a solid story, superb acting and dramatic scenery. An absolute classic of War cinema.
April 7, 2012
it's hard to find a war movie made back in the 70s and 60s about WW2 that isn't pretentious and overly serious. This one is actually fun(with its many faults and quite a few plot holes) and has a surprisingly good cast for such a movie as this- Harrison ford in one of his first lead roles(of course after Star Wars), Robert Shaw, Richard Kiel and Barbara Bach are all fun to watch in this. The fight choreography leaves ALOT to be desired, but thats what it makes it fun- its silly but it adds to the tone of the film, which is not serious in the least bit. Guy Hamilton(of James Bond FAME!), makes a decent war movie, less about the war and more about the episodic journey of the characters. I found all the characters interesting to watch, especially Carl Weathers as the odd man out of the bunch. It's a mix between action adventure and caper film, with humorous moments. You see hints of Han Solo in Ford's Bambsy character, and Shaw's Mallory is like the long lost brother of Roger Moore's Bond and Michael Palin's doppelganger. Richard Kiel REALLY hammed up the role of the villain in this, he was a cartoon as Capt. Drazak, and sometimes I had to roll my eyes- but what do you expect for an actor who's only been remembered as the strong and slow witted Jaws of the james bond franchise. Franco Nero was very interesting as the (spoiler) traitorous Ledifera, I think he captured whether we could trust him very well, and I had my suspicions very early one, even when the Partisan leader debunked the idea to Mallory. Barbara Bach was interesting in her role, as she turns out to be an undercover operative posing to work for the Nazi head guy, perfectly played by
The opening sequences of planes flyng were very badly executed, clearly they didn't have the same sfx wizards that Star Wars had, the year before. And apart from a few really underexposed night shots, the cinematography is pretty good(love the trekking shots through the mountains, supposedly Montenegro to represent the settings' Yugoslavia)
All in all a decent caper/thriller, where the good parts outweigh the few bad. I was surprised to see a nazi captain be decapitated and some boobs in a PG movie, but I'm not complaining. It's certainly not an amazing movie, but its a good romp with the best part of the movie being the stellar cast.
½ March 11, 2012
Boring and uninteresting.
½ February 28, 2012
thought this was a really good movie especially love the part were they blew the damn lots of fun in this movie of course its not better then the original most movies are not but hey this ones pretty good
February 15, 2012
Always liked this flick and 'The Guns of Navarone' back when I was a child. Both are still entertaining for me to watch from time to time.
December 30, 2011
A delightful World War II Commando film. Edward Fox is foppishly entertaining. Robert Shaw is cynically powerful as the leading man. Harrison Ford puts in a performance that actors such as William Holden and Steve McQueen have in the past: the necessary square jawed, attractive American foil to the stiff British leading men. Carl Weathers is always fun to watch. A good ensemble cast makes for a fun romp in this not too serious adventure.
November 20, 2011
Along with superman,grease . BEST FILM OF 1978 ! pure entertainment. I prefer the pan-scan version on the filp side DVD instead of the widescreen version. different music cues, voice dubbing or voice overs makes the pacing seem faster & the tone slightly different. strong performaces through out .
½ October 18, 2011
It could have been worse... but it would have been difficult. Actors and shooting are bordering very decent but the script has to be one of the least inspired and consequential one ever produced by the MGM. The worse is certainly that it bears no relationship with the original, just for that they should all be thrown to the Tchekniks!
½ August 17, 2011
This is one of the most underrated action films ever! Robert Shaw was one of the coolest actors in the 70's. He is still missed.
½ August 1, 2011
really cool but in some parts i couldnt understand what was happening
July 17, 2011
Not a bad action movie, though a bit light on the action. The effects seem a bit dated, but not overly so since it is about WWII. I couldn't help but feeling throughout this movie that I was watching an extended episode of Hogan's Heroes, with the inept portrayal of the Germans and members of various other nations banding together to overthrow them. The acting is decent, but not outstanding. Seeing Ms. Bach in the tub was a definite plus. Ford looks so young, but this was post Star Wars. His role was meager (even though he gets second billing); I was expecting more. Worth watching if you haven't seen it. I wouldn't go out of my way to see it again.

You wrote this on 3/4/09.
½ February 6, 2011
while I was child, I used to watch this movie
on the TV.
½ January 8, 2011
i cant understand why so many hate this it realy is a lot of fun and Harrison Ford is fantastic
½ January 4, 2011
It's become fashionable in some circles to bash this movie, a follow-up to the terrific GUNS OF NAVARONE, simply because it isn't as good as that first film. And that's correct, it's not, but it's still damn fun for what it is. The quartet of Shaw, Ford, Fox, and Weathers as an elite Allied unit is a great bit of casting, and their enjoyable chemistry sees the film through an otherwise standard (but well-executed) WWII story.
December 12, 2010
For a sequel to an epic World War II movie, this is pretty good. Although it doesn't measure up nearly as high as it's predessor, it has its moments of glory.