Forget Paris - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Forget Paris Reviews

September 30, 2015
I found forget paris to be a very amusing movie billy crystal and debra winger
were great ,William Hickey as debra wingers father Arthur cracked me up also joe mantegna gives a good performace as crystals friend who tells his fiancee how crystal and winger meet
July 16, 2015
Doesn't Ellen (Deborah Winger) EVER take off her hat?! She's as Female Chauvinistically unfair as Lacey Davenport!
½ September 16, 2014
A relic from a time when Billy Crystal was a romantic leading man.
cosmo313
½ November 18, 2013
Billy Crystal writes, directs, and stars in this utterly charming and fun romantic comedy. It's a bit of a mix of When Harry Met Sally with some doses of Woody Allen, but I don't think that's a problem.

Crystal is Mickey Gordon- a frazzled NBA referee. After he goes to bury his father n France, Mickey ends up meeting and falling in love with Ellen Andrews- a fellow American making a great living abroad for an airline. They end up spending only a bit of time with one another initially, but this sparks grows into a bright flame of a relationship that, over the course of several years, goes through all the ups and downs that usually accompany something this special, and shows how, if it's meant to be, a relationship can get though pretty much anything.

What I liked about this film is the structure. Its a frame story told mostly in flashback by friends of the couple who are waiting for them at a restaurant. One of Mickey's longtime buddies is getting married and his bride to be has yet to meet Mickey or Ellen, so everybody decides to fill her in, and that too is how the audience discovers the story.

I'm a bit on the fence when it comes to Crystal. I don't dislike the guy, but Im unsure if I really like his work or not. It can be good, yes, but sometimes I find it hard to get into, or take it on its own terms without making comparisons to others. Here it worked for me. I thought this was a delightful little romp, and I'm not usually into this kind of film. I do think that he personally struggled a bit with the more dramatic stuff, but overall got through it okay. Debra Winger is great as Ellen, and she makes up where Billy falters. She's not quite a good with the comedy, but does okay, and in the end, they balance themselves out fine. As their friends we get the likes of Joe Mantegna, Cynthia Stevenson, Richard Masur, Julie Kavner, and Cathy Moriarty, et al, and they are a fine supporting cast. There's also tons of cameos, almost all of them from NBA players, announcers, and the like, and they too do a good job and seem to have a lot of fun.

All in all, I found a lot to like here. It's shot well, funny, touching, and just made me feel good and sappy, and whatnot. Sure it's not the most original thing, but it's done better than it had to be, so yeah, give it a watch.
½ September 13, 2013
I was quite enjoying it up until the scene where she admits to being married. Then it fell apart, not because of the plot, but the acting. I suddenly got the distinct feeling that Deborah Winger just can't act.
½ September 8, 2013
A romantic comedy from Billy Crystal, who not only stars with Debra Winger but also directed and co-wrote. The movie is no "When Harry Met Sally", but it has it's moments and works well fir what it is. The bird scene is hilarious, and I enjoyed William Hickey's performance. A mostly harmless feature.
July 4, 2013
I loved "Forget Paris" I think Billy Crystal is hilarious as Mickey the NBA referee. I think anyone who sits down and watches this movie will enjoy it very much.
½ April 11, 2013
This romantic comedy tells the story of the difficult years that follow the perfect first week with a new crush. It does so using Billy Crystal's typical humor that already made Harry and Sally a cult hit. The approach may be somewhat similar here, but there is much more to it. First of all, we hear the protagonists' story through their friends words, including interruptions and contradictions. That makes for a very quirky storytelling and plenty of great jokes. But the film does not shy away from showing the ugly and disenchanting truth after long distance or weekend relationships. Thankfully, even after the sadder parts, the movie always finds its way back to the lighter side of things, especially thanks to the excellent Crystal. Overall a very true and satisfying experience.
½ April 10, 2013
This is about a guy who is a referee for the NBA who's father dies in France. While the airport loses his fathers remains he falls in love with a woman that works in the airport. This movie basically follows their up and down and sometimes really rocky relationship which you find out when the movie starts is being told by friends waiting for them at a restaurant. Like always you get a good comedy act from billy crystal. I am a huge fan of his. He is pretty comical in this. I also see some other actors I recognize in this. For a romance comedy it was pretty good. If you liked this movie I also recommend when harry met Sally. This was not as funny but still a great movie especially if you are like me and enjoy watching billy crystal .
½ April 8, 2013
Saw it on a plane ride a while ago. Wasn't bad at the time. Crystal does his thing
½ January 21, 2013
Charming rom-com with nice chemistry between our leads. Even guys should find this enjoyable.
½ January 7, 2013
Criminally forgotten romantic comedy that is every bit as hilarious as the likes of "Annie Hall" or "When Harry Met Sally." I can't remember the last time I laughed as loud or as long.
½ December 19, 2012
Went to this movie because Charles Barkley was in it. Wish I hadn't...
December 11, 2012
Who doesn't like this movie?! It's one of the best romantic comedies ever! Of course, that's a subjective opinion...... but aren't they all?

Sharp dialogue, good acting and beautiful story line.... it's realistic..... it's how things can really happen.... and it's laugh-out-loud funny..... come to think of it, the bird situation is probably not likely to happen...... but funny nonetheless!
December 7, 2012
Romance im thinking?
½ October 31, 2012
Forget this romantic comedy.
September 3, 2012
i like this movie because they really don't try to dress up what is "love". it's very raw and shows that once the honeymoon is over, that doesn't mean you should stop trying. very endearing and leaves you feeling good
½ August 27, 2012
This is how an american should interpet Paris. Billy Crystal is a multi-star acting and Directing when both come hand in hand. After Crystals father dies, he intends on Burying him in Paris, from the time he step of the plane everything becomes disaster. Whats lost is the body, whats found is Crystals new found view on love. (Debra Winger) co-stars in a modern day romance with flaws included. Love will never be the same again..
June 9, 2012
I saw this movie for the first time last night, and found it truly amazing. I really enjoyed it as it was well acted and intelligently presented as is all of Billy's work. Debra Winger was terrific in it, as was Joe Montegna, Cynthia Stevens, and everyone else in this exceptionally well cast film.
½ April 11, 2012
Billy Crystal as a NBA ref. The movie was hilarious.