The Fortune - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Fortune Reviews

April 1, 2016
Everyone hated this film. They were all wrong. it is a bizarre black comedy masterpiece like no other made.
February 25, 2016
Like Communism, it looks good on paper.
December 9, 2015
Nicky Wilson (Warren Beatty) and Oscar Sullivan (Jack Nicholson) are inept 1920s scam artists who see pay dirt in the guise of Fredericka Quintessa Bigard (Stockard Channing), the millionaire heiress to a sanitary napkin fortune. She loves the already married Nicky, but because the Mann Act prohibits him from taking her across state lines and engaging in immoral relations, he proposes that she marry Oscar and then carry on an affair with the man she wants. Oscar, who is wanted for embezzlement and anxious to get out of town, is happy to comply with the plan, although he intends to claim his spousal privileges after they are wed. Once they reach Los Angeles, the men try everything they can to separate Freddie from her inheritance without success, but with sufficient determination to arouse her suspicions. When she announces her plan to donate her money to charity, Nicky and Oscar conclude that murder might be their only recourse if they're going to get rich quick...

Time Out London said this about "The Fortune": "Starts promisingly as a sardonic comedy, but once in California lethargy settles in. The film becomes almost static, a series of stagy, glossy tableaux: such lack of momentum may be an adequate assessment of the characters' limited capacity for development, but it has a disastrous effect on the film's pacing. Events degenerate into miscalculated farce and underline Nichols' continuing slick superficiality. Adrien Joyce's much hacked-about script sounds as though it was once excellent: a pity everyone treats it so off-handedly." Channel 4 called it a "flat-footed attempt to revive the 1930s screwball comedy" but liked the leads, commenting, "The trio's timing and delivery almost rescue the movie from degenerating into bad farce." This so called screw ball comedy is a bomb from scene one and maybe if the take on the story had been dramatic it might´ve been so much better. Beatty and Nicholson compete in who can be the most over the top in his role it seems and the lovely Channing is lost in all the incoherent silliness. The movie lacks everything you want in comedy. Timing, a proper script, actors that can handle comedy and comic hooks. It feels like Nichols, Beatty and Nicholson had such ballooned egos at the time, that they thought they could get away with anything. They couldn´t. "The Fortune" is just painful to watch and I have just erased it from my mind. Trivia: In an interview on Trio's series Face Time (2002), producer Peter Guber revealed that the film Shampoo (1975) was only made because its creators insisted on its being green-lit along with The Fortune (1975). Everyone concerned was convinced The Fortune (1975) would be a huge hit, given its stellar line-up of filmmakers, so the deal was accepted. As it turned out, The Fortune (1975) was a flop and Shampoo (1975) was the huge hit.
July 2, 2015
Enjoyable comedy with Beatty and Nicholson making the most of the semi-slapstick script.
February 2, 2014
I had never heard of this one before...Nicholson and Beatty make a good team, but are wasted here. Apparently, it's one of the favourite films of the Coen Bros and I can see how it inspire them, but there isn't enough here to fully recommend it. For fans of the actors only!
July 5, 2013
Throwback slapstick comedy from director Mike Nichols involves a story of bumbling comic duo Jack Nicholson and Warren Beatty in the 1920s trying to murder an heiress (Stockard Channing) in order to get her money. As great as that sounds, the film unfotunately feels more like an academic exercise to recreate old-time film comedies than it does a comedy with a life of it's own. Still, there's gorgeous photography by "Chinatown" cinematographer John A. Alonzo and terrific production design the great Richard Sylbert, along with a nice period score by David Shire. You also get Dub Taylor, Christopher Guest and Scatman Crothers in fun bit parts, but the real reason to watch the film is for Nicholson's often funny comic performance. A young Nicholson with wild hair actually looks a lot like Michael Jeter. Far from a being a great or even very good film, it's still interestig to watch as a curiosity.
May 25, 2013
good period caper comedy from mike nichols (the graduate)
½ May 13, 2013
Mike Nichols' 1920s farce tries for wackiness and misses, but it was still entertaining due to the three great actors in the leads, especially Jack Nicholson,turning in one of his patented devilish performances.
January 19, 2013
With two such big name stars I was surprised that I'd never heard of 'The Fortune' before but having seen the finished product it's pretty clear why Hollywood has chosen to disown it. The pairing of Beatty and Nicholson just doesn't work here. The material suggests pure farce and what was needed was a Lemmon and Matthau pairing. Instead Beatty looks uncomfortable and Nicholson looks like he's going to massacre the whole cast at any time, so scary is the glint in his eye! Channing is good as the woman they are desperately trying to fleece and the period detail by Nichol's looks great but I didn't find it very funny and was bored through most of it.
½ December 30, 2012
Completely laughless.
October 28, 2012
Average Movie but Jack Nicholson and Warren Beatty are always entertaining to watch.
September 2, 2012
Unjustly obscure screwball farce is giddily maniacal, darkly rollicking fun, with megastars in fine form playing against type.
July 4, 2012
Nicholson and Beatty form a really funny duo.
July 29, 2011
The mouse is bedtime.

The bus was not my idea! HE STOLE THE BUS!
½ September 6, 2010
One of Jack Nicholson's early movies around the time of Easy Rider. Nicholson and Beatty make a good team in this topsy turvy comedy.
½ August 25, 2010
I am sorry, I like Warren Beatty and Jack Nicholson, but I could not finish this movie. Something about it didn't impress me.

Watch it to see if it satisfies...it is supposed to be a comedy, but aside from the slapstick of Jack jumping out a window or wing walking, I just didn't get it. I had very high hopes for this film and was crushed.
August 10, 2010
The first hour/2 acts of The Fortune were so slow moving that not even the underrated comic pairing of Jack Nicholson (an absolute nut here) and Warren Beatty (think a dopey Jim Dandy) were able to completely stop the juggernaut of slow dullness. I was wondering why the hell I'd never heard of The Fortune before and I'd gotten my answer. But once that first hour disappeared something clicked with the comic timing and the last 10 minutes of The Fortune were some of the most hilariously tense and nerve-wracking I can remember. Its a quick worthwhile watch if you get the chance.
August 9, 2010
I had never heard of this movie before and I just happened to see it on TCM. It was pretty funny. Both Jack Nicholson and Warren Beatty are really good here. Their chemistry is very apparent and both of them could easily reverse roles and play each other's characters if they wanted to. It's worth if only for the scene with the two of them arguing over having the same mustache.
September 1, 2009
A period film about Jack Nicholson and Warren Beatty's attempt to kill a heiress for her money might not scream "comedy," which is maybe one reason why audiences stayed away back in 1975. There are some really good moments here, but unfortunately much of it is hurt by what non-comedic actors usually do when trying to play funny, meaning there's a lot of screaming. Good camera work by Nichols.
March 31, 2009
Not sure of the appeal of this film. Boring until an hour in. A funny sequence that lasts till the end. Then all of a sudden the movie's over. No third act at all. Just odd.