Forty Shades of Blue - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Forty Shades of Blue Reviews

½ February 23, 2014
The actors did their roles iso as to be believable.
December 18, 2013
Campy in a way that reminds me of Sirk, but the surface suggests something along the line of Altman.
½ June 27, 2013
The film gets caught up in its own sadness. You appreciate the effort to bring out strong emotions but without any corresponding high, it ends up losing the audience.
March 19, 2013
The absoulute hands down most boring film I have ever experienced.
March 14, 2012
Definitely sounds like a hidden gem I'd enjoy.
½ October 6, 2011
Decent film elevated to a whole new level by an amazing performance by Rip Torn.
hunterjt13
September 19, 2011
A cantankerous music star's son visits for an awards ceremony then has an affair with his father's young wife.
The highlight of this film is Dina Korzun's morose and oftentimes inscrutable performance; the few moments when her vulnerability shows through - crying in bed after having sex with her husband as an example - are captivating. The film's success, aside from her performance, is the mere creation of a mood, a consistent melancholy that becomes overbearing at times.
Indeed, I thought the film was often too morose, too languid. And Rip Torn's character - not necessarily a fault to his performance - was inconsistent. For the first half of the film, he is an indomitable and harsh force, but he suddenly becomes human in the second act, and what once was reminiscent of James Coburn in Affliction turns into a gnarly mess of storytelling. And it can shove its freeze-frame ending up its ass.
Overall, Forty Shades of Blue is a performance-driven art film that has damning inconsistencies.
January 16, 2011
Impressively directed, low-key drama that really gets under your skin, thanks to strong performances from its three leads. But even though the characters are going through significant life crises, we're given no particular reason to like them or be interested.
January 10, 2011
There are absolutely no redeeming qualities to this movie. The plot flatlines about five minutes in. The acting is less than stellar. There's very little character development, and I didn't find myself invested in any of them enough to care about what happened to them. Where do I sign up to get my hour and 45 minutes of life back?
November 25, 2010
A potentially good movie that utterly failed.
April 9, 2010
This movie really makes you feel so much and then think so much..
May 22, 2009
This pretty much stinks on ice with the exception of Rip Torn which is why I watched this - but he was not enough to carry this stinker.
May 14, 2009
Was fairly disappointed by this film. The story-line had potential but it was just another "couple are happy guy comes into the chicks life she realizes how unhappy she is and starts an affair" story which are so over done. I found acting was particularly bad, Rip Torn was the best actor in the film. The other two leads weren't great at all.
April 25, 2009
Interesting storytelling, indeed. I was always a fan of Rip Torn acting and he once again doesn't disappoint. Darren Burrows (the memorable Ed from Northern Exposure) also stars here. Definitely worth checking out.
March 3, 2009
Yes of course Rip Torn is terrific. When isn't he? When this came out in theaters, the reviews glowed mainly due to his performance, but I'm surprised no one mentioned Dina Kozun, this Russian actress who, in my opinion, really makes this film. As Rip Torn's wife, at first it seems she's just a trophy bride, pretty and vapid. Not at all. In fact, her character has the most depth. She's the one writing lyrics for her husband's bands. The main gripe I have is that I wish we'd gotten to hear her lyrics more often. The film takes its time, and with the lack of musical cues, it might be hard to know what you're supposed to be feeilng when, but you'll get it. I think the reason Rip Torn got so many raves was due to the way he can be a ranting and raving music producer, then be sort of normal at home, and then really struggle to talk to his son. And when he does finally have a good sit-down with him, he unwittingly gives his boy license to consummate his feelings for his hot Russian stepmom.
February 11, 2009
Sundance 05' Grand Jury Prize

The title is great
January 10, 2009
I could only watch half of this. The plot moved so slowly I almost went insane.
December 13, 2008
Having personal experience of a young Russian woman leaving home to live in another country I identified very much with this movie. It was almost a deja vu experience and depicts well how from a Russion point of view we are so spoilt in the 'West'. Very good.
July 11, 2008
No less a personage than Wim Wenders, told me this was one of his favorite American films to date and that Ira Sachs was a talented director.
I scouted most of the Memphis locations for this film.
July 2, 2008
Darren Burrows is an old boyfriend of mine. He's a great actor, and I always admire his work. We had a passionate, torrid affair and he broke my heart in 1990.