Forty Shades of Blue Reviews

• Feb 23, 2014

The actors did their roles iso as to be believable.

The actors did their roles iso as to be believable.

• Dec 18, 2013

Campy in a way that reminds me of Sirk, but the surface suggests something along the line of Altman.

John B Super Reviewer
    Jun 27, 2013

The film gets caught up in its own sadness. You appreciate the effort to bring out strong emotions but without any corresponding high, it ends up losing the audience.

• Mar 19, 2013

The absoulute hands down most boring film I have ever experienced.

The absoulute hands down most boring film I have ever experienced.

• Oct 06, 2011

Decent film elevated to a whole new level by an amazing performance by Rip Torn.

• Jim H Super Reviewer
    Sep 19, 2011

A cantankerous music star's son visits for an awards ceremony then has an affair with his father's young wife. The highlight of this film is Dina Korzun's morose and oftentimes inscrutable performance; the few moments when her vulnerability shows through - crying in bed after having sex with her husband as an example - are captivating. The film's success, aside from her performance, is the mere creation of a mood, a consistent melancholy that becomes overbearing at times. Indeed, I thought the film was often too morose, too languid. And Rip Torn's character - not necessarily a fault to his performance - was inconsistent. For the first half of the film, he is an indomitable and harsh force, but he suddenly becomes human in the second act, and what once was reminiscent of James Coburn in <i>Affliction</i> turns into a gnarly mess of storytelling. And it can shove its freeze-frame ending up its ass. Overall, <i>Forty Shades of Blue</i> is a performance-driven art film that has damning inconsistencies.

• Jan 10, 2011

There are absolutely no redeeming qualities to this movie. The plot flatlines about five minutes in. The acting is less than stellar. There's very little character development, and I didn't find myself invested in any of them enough to care about what happened to them. Where do I sign up to get my hour and 45 minutes of life back?

• Nov 25, 2010

A potentially good movie that utterly failed.

A potentially good movie that utterly failed.

• Apr 09, 2010

This movie really makes you feel so much and then think so much..

This movie really makes you feel so much and then think so much..

• May 22, 2009

This pretty much stinks on ice with the exception of Rip Torn which is why I watched this - but he was not enough to carry this stinker.