Foster (Angel In the House) Reviews

• Jun 01, 2020

A very beautiful film. Don't miss this. You will laugh, smile, and cry. Great cast with strong performances especially from young Maurice Cole and veteran Toni Collette. Don't miss it!

• Dec 30, 2019

Best film i have ever seen. The end had me in bits.

Best film i have ever seen. The end had me in bits.

• Nov 28, 2018

Alex and Zoey, a young married couple, are struggling to conceive another child after the tragic death of their five year old son in a traffic accident. Two years have gone by with no luck. In an effort to fill the void left behind by their son, they explore taking care of a foster child. As they wander through a large foster care facility filled with children looking for a family, Zoey is surprised to see a smiling young seven year old boy wearing a suit and tie and sporting a stylish hat. They smile and make eye contact but don't get the chance to meet. After being told the approval process for foster parents is long and detailed, they return home. Soon after, the seven year old boy wearing a suit, tie, and hat, Eli, appears on their doorstep with foster paperwork in hand. Zoey is shocked to see the young boy without an adult and without any advanced notice. Eli explains their application had been fast-tracked. When Zoey and Alec return to the foster care facility to make certain everything is in order, they find the director being rushed to the hospital. They find someone else to check over the paperwork and are told it contains the director's signature and therefore should be properly executed. Zoey and Alec settle into parenting Eli and discover him to be a precocious and extraordinarily talented young child. Eli, along with the occasional help of a mysterious homeless man named Mr. Potts, guides Zoey and Alec back toward the love they had for each other before their son died. In addition, Eli is instrumental in helping Alec rejuvenate his dying toy business. In the end, on Christmas morning, Zoey reveals to Alec she is pregnant. When they go to Eli's room to share the news, they find him gone with a note left on his bed. The note, along with the fact that the foster care facility had no record of Eli ever being in their care, points to the obvious conclusion that Eli was an angel sent to rescue Zoey and Alec. This is a British film with beautiful production design and cinematography making every scene picture perfect. The acting, directing, and music are all top notch. It's a delightfully playful story that will play well to the whole family (there is one use of the "S" word which is immediately apologized for). There is also a good deal of wine drinking that may need some explanation for younger viewers. The discussions of God and angels are only in passing and there is no overt Christian theme. Overall, this is a fanciful story that will leave plenty of room for family discussions to fill in the details regarding how God may be working through angels.

• Dec 13, 2017

Excellent cast, a must see sentimental journey to connect all whom have lost something, bringing hope unsuspectingly ! A must see for the whole family !

• Dec 18, 2016

Best visual sundae ever, with pastel pretty colors, cheery music, photo-ready interior design and even a cameo by LEGOLAND-Windsor. This film is a fairy tale in the best (the only scene of violence occurs off screen) sense. My only negatives are an occasionally boisterous soundtrack and ironically a few scenes of non-dialogue composed of people having "fun". What pushes this movie into the 4-star category is a charismatic group of lead actors Toni Collette (as Zooey), Ioan Gruffudd (Alec), Richard E. Grant (Mr. Potts) and Maurice Cole (Eli) who elevate this movie from cliché to charm. For those searching in vain on IMDb, this movie is listed as "Foster" while Netflix has it listed as "Angel in the House". I think that I detect some angel issues ;)

• Dec 05, 2016

Having seen this movie now twice on streaming, I can say I would actually try to buy this one. Some find 'Eli' a little creepy (according to IMBD), we found him enchanting and the movie uplifting. What the story is about is mysterious, a return to simpler toy designs, a trip to LegoLand, and dealing with survivor's guilt and loss. It's not complicated, does not require you use all your brain cells to be cerebral. Just a fun movie that touches your heart. I am not saying more, because it will loose it's mystery and surprise.

• Mar 25, 2016

I thought I was going to hate it, and I nearly did. But I just couldn't, despite the oh-so-annoying little boy. Richard E Grant (seemingly playing Withnail, 40 years on) and Toni Collette were probably other strong reasons for me staying with it. It's touching family fare that's almost entirely predictable, but it's done sincerely and well, and that's recommendation enough.

• Jan 11, 2015

Adorable and well written fun for the whole family movie

Adorable and well written fun for the whole family movie

• Dec 26, 2014

I'm reviewing this film for a good mate who has asked me to do so. Hope you appreciate what I have written mate. Jay Let me start off by saying when it comes to warm holiday fun family movies there are some that will almost always come out on top and then there are some usually starring b grade sitcom actors that should only have ever made it to the ideas bank. Once you've seen Foster you can make that decision for yourself. Foster is a 2011 film that stars Toni Collette (Muriels Wedding, Mental) as Zooey Morrison and Ioan Gruffudd (Fantastic Four, W.) as Alec Morrison a long time married couple who have been together since high school, both have failing businesses and it seems their marriage if heading the same direction as well. After trying to for a child for a little while the pair end up at a foster care home ready to invest their love. They sit the initial meeting with the carer of the children Mrs. Lange played by Hayley Mills (The Parent Trap, That Darn Cat) and leave. A day or two later there is a knock at the door and one of the children from the home stands waiting to be let in he has the signed documents and a suitcase and is ready to become the newest member of the family. Eli played by Maurice Cole speaks impeccably, dresses miraculously and pretty much knows something about everything and seems to be the perfect child... Foster is a film made ideally for families, it has it's funny moments as well as its warm moments, sad moments and of course its more than happy ending with a few twists here and there to help it along. The funny thing with twists though in movies is that they can make anything happen. With all its gleeful happiness and touching tender moments there were a few things that it did disappoint me in from the very beginning. The first little niggle for me was the horrible Scottish accent that Toni used throughout the film, it was more than disturbing and sounded so fake, I can't even think of anything to compare it was that bad. The second little annoyance I found was the child, I get he is meant to be some kind of old soul but some of the things he was saying were just laughable and cringe worthy. The script could have been so much better and I'm guessing the budget went pretty much to the starring actors as well as Richard E Grant who plays the local homeless guy who has all the solutions. Apart from a more than predictable ending I think the film could have been very different if someone a little more creative got involved. It really wants to be a film that is filled with magic, unfortunately it's not. I'm not saying that this was a bad film, in fact if you want to watch a film that doesn't have the bad language, no violence just good wholesome family fun then this would be ideal, especially as a Christmas film where all the family are over the conversations and catch ups have ended and its time to wind down. This film also carries the title "Angel in the house." Foster gets 2 out 5 BanShee Screams. Thanks for reading. x #foster

• Sep 28, 2014