Foster - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Foster Reviews

December 18, 2016
Best visual sundae ever, with pastel pretty colors, cheery music, photo-ready interior design and even a cameo by LEGOLAND-Windsor. This film is a fairy tale in the best (the only scene of violence occurs off screen) sense. My only negatives are an occasionally boisterous soundtrack and ironically a few scenes of non-dialogue composed of people having "fun". What pushes this movie into the 4-star category is a charismatic group of lead actors Toni Collette (as Zooey), Ioan Gruffudd (Alec), Richard E. Grant (Mr. Potts) and Maurice Cole (Eli) who elevate this movie from cliché to charm.

For those searching in vain on IMDb, this movie is listed as "Foster" while Netflix has it listed as "Angel in the House". I think that I detect some angel issues ;)
December 5, 2016
Having seen this movie now twice on streaming, I can say I would actually try to buy this one. Some find 'Eli' a little creepy (according to IMBD), we found him enchanting and the movie uplifting. What the story is about is mysterious, a return to simpler toy designs, a trip to LegoLand, and dealing with survivor's guilt and loss. It's not complicated, does not require you use all your brain cells to be cerebral. Just a fun movie that touches your heart. I am not saying more, because it will loose it's mystery and surprise.
March 25, 2016
I thought I was going to hate it, and I nearly did. But I just couldn't, despite the oh-so-annoying little boy. Richard E Grant (seemingly playing Withnail, 40 years on) and Toni Collette were probably other strong reasons for me staying with it. It's touching family fare that's almost entirely predictable, but it's done sincerely and well, and that's recommendation enough.
½ March 29, 2015
Wonderful heart-warming story that is enjoyable to watch for the whole family
½ January 11, 2015
Adorable and well written fun for the whole family movie
½ December 26, 2014
I'm reviewing this film for a good mate who has asked me to do so. Hope you appreciate what I have written mate. Jay
Let me start off by saying when it comes to warm holiday fun family movies there are some that will almost always come out on top and then there are some usually starring b grade sitcom actors that should only have ever made it to the ideas bank. Once you've seen Foster you can make that decision for yourself.
Foster is a 2011 film that stars Toni Collette (Muriels Wedding, Mental) as Zooey Morrison and Ioan Gruffudd (Fantastic Four, W.) as Alec Morrison a long time married couple who have been together since high school, both have failing businesses and it seems their marriage if heading the same direction as well. After trying to for a child for a little while the pair end up at a foster care home ready to invest their love. They sit the initial meeting with the carer of the children Mrs. Lange played by Hayley Mills (The Parent Trap, That Darn Cat) and leave. A day or two later there is a knock at the door and one of the children from the home stands waiting to be let in he has the signed documents and a suitcase and is ready to become the newest member of the family. Eli played by Maurice Cole speaks impeccably, dresses miraculously and pretty much knows something about everything and seems to be the perfect child...
Foster is a film made ideally for families, it has it's funny moments as well as its warm moments, sad moments and of course its more than happy ending with a few twists here and there to help it along. The funny thing with twists though in movies is that they can make anything happen. With all its gleeful happiness and touching tender moments there were a few things that it did disappoint me in from the very beginning. The first little niggle for me was the horrible Scottish accent that Toni used throughout the film, it was more than disturbing and sounded so fake, I can't even think of anything to compare it was that bad. The second little annoyance I found was the child, I get he is meant to be some kind of old soul but some of the things he was saying were just laughable and cringe worthy. The script could have been so much better and I'm guessing the budget went pretty much to the starring actors as well as Richard E Grant who plays the local homeless guy who has all the solutions. Apart from a more than predictable ending I think the film could have been very different if someone a little more creative got involved. It really wants to be a film that is filled with magic, unfortunately it's not.
I'm not saying that this was a bad film, in fact if you want to watch a film that doesn't have the bad language, no violence just good wholesome family fun then this would be ideal, especially as a Christmas film where all the family are over the conversations and catch ups have ended and its time to wind down.
This film also carries the title "Angel in the house."
Foster gets 2 out 5 BanShee Screams.
Thanks for reading.
x
#foster
February 8, 2014
When I saw it was called Angel in the House but I guess it is the same movie. I thought it was delightful, a feel-good movie that you could watch with the whole family. It is not complex and perhaps a bit predictable but it is so nice to sit through a movie and not cringe at bad language and violence. I recommend it!
January 17, 2014
'Angel in the House' (2011) is as chestnut sappy as any Hallmark movie, nonetheless sweet and heartwarming like a Christmas movie should be. This is a nice family film parents can appreciate with their children for some simple quality time during the holidays.
½ November 22, 2013
Suspend reality, think of this as an old fashioned 'magical' movie and enjoy the child star - but you will still only say its 'average'. Yeh, I cried - but that was inevitable. I cringed waaay more!!
June 23, 2013
I basically chose this film by mistake thinking it was something else and judging by the lack of information, reviews or even a poster on this page my wife and I will be one of the very few to watch it. Well, safe to say we both enjoyed it a lot. Granted we are the crowd to play to, a couple who are learning to cope with the loss of their son introduce a mystical child into their life and everyone is all the happier for that. It even has Richard E. Grant as a lovely old spiritual hobo. It's unashameable heart-string pulling fare, but when have I ever not been one to enjoy that.
½ May 15, 2013
Laughably bad film from the downright atrocious script, to the awful Scottish accent from the female lead
½ May 11, 2013
Not for real men. The kid is terrific.
April 22, 2013
In the USA this movie is called Angel in the House!!!! It is a splendid little movie I got at Redbox. It is about a little boy that shows up at the door at a couples home that can not have a baby!!! The fun and the tears come later. This is a great Family movie!!!!
½ March 26, 2013
Excelente cinta en la que el empecinamiento de una pareja que quieren convertirse en padres, hace que llegue a su vida un niño en adopción (o al menos eso les hace creer), lo que cambiara irremediablemente y para bien sus vidas.
Entretenida, conmovedora y bien hecha, no le puedes pedir mucho más a una película. Véanla.
March 17, 2013
very sweet movie. original and unforgettable. highly enjoyable.
½ March 7, 2013
Ever so old fashioned but ever so lovely. Collette struggles with her Scottish accent but you forgive her quite easily. Its a delight and the small child - is a star of the future !!!!
November 19, 2012
Toni Collette hugely enhances a mawkish, rose-tinted screenplay which skates along on a glossy sheen, but doesn't have much depth to it. There's a feeling of 'been here before', and a lack of anything surprising. That said, it is a huge step up from Newman's previous effort.