Four Brothers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Four Brothers Reviews

December 3, 2015
Sometimes you know a movie in reality isn't really all that great, but you still enjoy it anyway. That is the case with Four Brothers. The acting isn't all that great, the characters really aren't that interesting, its almost kind of cheesy and not believable at all but I still like it for the pure entertainment value. The story is there. The motive for the action the main characters take is there as well. But no city is going to let a bunch of guys going around killing people for revenge and pretty much let them get away with it each time. But then again, hey its the movies and that's why movies are great, because they in the end, they arent real. Four Brothers came at a time when I think Mark Wahlberg really wasn't sure what the hell he was doing with his career as far as choosing roles, just playing a tough guy in every movie but nonetheless he still is a relatable and enjoyable character. Andre Benjamin (Andre 3000 aka 3 stacks from Outkast) is pretty terrible, although I do believe this was one of his first movies, maybe his first, so he gets a pass on his awful acting. I always find Tyrese pretty funny and enjoyable and I really don't know Garrett Hedlund all too well, so I have nothing to compare honestly, he was mediocre at best. But if you like violent revenge stories with cheesy acting this is probably right up your alley.
½ December 2, 2015
½ October 20, 2015
I really dug this film. It is pretty much a revenge film set in the cold streets of Detroit. When an elderly woman, and mother to 4 children she adopted is murdured, the brohers are set out to get revenge against who killed their mother. Walberg is awesome here as a hard nosed, cold blooded, but loyal cat. I also want to mention this is Tyreses best role because their is a lack of his corny over the top crap we see in other movies. The violence is somewhat extreme, but the main shootout scene is filmed very well. I think all 4 actors do a good enough job, and the supporting cast features some really good talent. I liked this movie, despite the flaws in plot (no way they could of gotten away with what the four brothers did). It is still entertaining, and hits that family comes first.
It also has intrigue, and keeps you guessing in some points.

A good flick.
September 18, 2015
Another great movie that's worth being in my DVD collection.
½ August 26, 2015
Four brothers is a good by the numbers action movie with just enough story and character development to keep you interested and the right amount of twists/red herrings to make it smart but never trying to be to clever. The movie follows the seemingly random killing of a sweet old woman who just happens to have fostered four of the biggest f**k up hard men you could imagine. As the brothers look into the circumstances of her death they realize her death was not random but orchestrated and covered up by gangsters and cops alike. This movie was never going to trouble the Oscar committee but its a solid 109 minutes of action/revenge movie. featured on Emerald Reprobates pod-cast episode 60
August 24, 2015
i thought it was an ok mark wahlberg movie not the best however
½ August 16, 2015
I'll take Mark Wahlberg in just about anything. This was a fast moving thriller with plenty of action, ass kicking and plot. It will keep you guessing all the way till the end. It was smart in a stupid thug action movie sort of way.
½ August 15, 2015
Revenge flick that's lack of focus and over stuffed subplots sink the ship.
½ August 6, 2015
Director John Singleton's spiritual follow-up to his unanimously acclaimed debut feature "Boyz n the Hood" doesn't pack the same progressive smack down that that movie did but it still succeeds in being hilariously entertaining. While it relies more on fast-talking one-liners and rapport from a cohesive cast and elaborately staged shootouts, the movie hits home for those viewers who have ever lost a close parent or guardian and what they would ultimately do to avenge them. At under two hours, the movie really makes the most of its trim running time and keeps the exposition to a minimum. This approach is a double-edged sword, however, because it would have been more satisfying from a character development standpoint if the film utilized the use of flashback to make each of the four brothers more multidimensional. Out of the principal cast, Tyrese Gibson ("Fast and the Furious" franchise) and newcomer Garrett Hedlund (2010's "Tron: Legacy" and 2012's "On The Road") captivate the most while 2013 Best Actor nominee for "12 Years A Slave" Chiwetel Ejiofor portrays a very effective, scenery-chomping big bad gang leader. All totaled, this film provides a brisk viewing experience even though it never aspires for true greatness.
½ July 29, 2015
I wasn't a big fan of this film, there was some good action but this was the only strong point of the film.
July 5, 2015
Well written, well acted, and contained enough interesting twists to keep the movie fresh. A good watch.
June 20, 2015
just a little too much over the top. watch Sons of Katie Elder instead
½ June 19, 2015
An uneven mix of revenge thriller and comedy. It has a very likable cast (Chiwetel Ejiofor as the villain!? Wow!), but there are way too many plot holes and it's just not really fun to watch in general. Four Brothers is a hit and miss.
June 17, 2015
I liked it. Kind of a take on the Brothers Karamazov but not really. It also benefited from the main characters being something between loosely organized chaos and disorganized chaos that kept it from being like other revenge films that get so stylish they're overdone now.
June 13, 2015
"Four Brothers" is gritty and boasts some great action sequences in this revenge thriller, but the plot is too scattered that even it's top-notch actors can't save the poor final act.
½ June 9, 2015
Super violent, gleefully acted, and incredibly quick-witted. a well oiled celebration of the tough guy.
½ May 17, 2015
Ein guter und eine moderne umgesetzte Neuverfilmung des John Wayne Klassikers Die Söhne des Katie Elder".
Der Film ist roh, dreckig und hat einen sarkastischen Unterton, was auch den Humor betrifft. Die vier Brüder sind gut besetzt. Was gut ist, die Brüder können verschiedener nicht sein. Trotzdem halten sie zusammen und kämpfen für eine gerechte Sache. Auch wenn die Charaktere im Leben unten durch gekommen sind, denn jeder hat seine eigene persönliche Vorgeschichte, haben sie doch eine liebevolle Seite an sich. Das ist bei diesem Film eine gute Charakterzeichnung gelungen.
Fazit: Ein moderner Western mit unzimperlichen Figuren, die es trotzdem nett meinen!
May 16, 2015
great way of showing how protective family can be
½ May 2, 2015
I like many of the people in this movie and only kept watching in the hope it would switch from ridiculously bad to being not so, and it never happened
½ April 26, 2015
Great movie. The plot is pretty a-typical, with some good ideas and plot points of its own, the action scenes are tense and well-shot, the script is solid, and the performances are good, especially from the four leads, and Ejiofor.