Four Lions - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Four Lions Reviews

January 16, 2016
While this movie seemed like it could have a lot of promise, ultimately the poor picture quality and even worse audio quality made it unwatchable for me. The actors' inability to speak a single sentence without mumbling made it even worse. It seemed like there were probably many good jokes in it, but unfortunately I couldn't even hear the jokes. Also, if you watched the trailer, you basically saw all the funny parts.
December 25, 2015
It was strange, to taste the humour, and realise that the aftertaste was quite unfunny, and serious, and poignant, and beautiful. I've never tasted anything quite like it.
December 11, 2015
Great movie! A must watch for those who want to see how messed up terrorists most likely are. I also have a soft spot for it because it was filmed in the suburb where I was born (Heeley). But it really is a great film, especially since it takes what is a sensitive topic and makes fun of it without being callous or demonizing anyone.
December 9, 2015
Intelligent satire that also surprisingly emotional
½ November 22, 2015
People were talking about this movie on reddit today, so I deicded to give it a watch. As a Canadian, I laughed hard at a lot of the situational comedy jokes, but I didn't get what the movie was trying to say.

Is it a culture thing? I wasn't sure if the movie was trying to romanticize jihadists, or if it was a parody. I liked the movie, but I'm pretty confused...what were the filmmakers trying to make me feel?
October 24, 2015
Divertida de principio a fin, Four Lions es una lograda parodia sobre el terrorismo y el radicalismo, que hace del humor negro, la irreverencia, y lo absurdo, literalmente, sus principales armas. Comedia y humor del mejor nivel.
October 15, 2015
I nearly died laughing in a few spots....which may be what these geniuses wanted all along. (This is a brilliant movie... If you like Guy Ritchie type films, this one is a must see. If you enjoy British humor, this is a must see. If you don't think radical Islam can be funny, this is a must see. If you have a pulse and a sense of humor, this is a must see.
½ September 13, 2015
A dark comedy about a subject that you would not normally associate with levity.
½ August 25, 2015
Four Lions is hands down one of the most controversial movies all time but also one of the funniest. Its a clever story which is undoubtedly risky in todays time yet Chris Morris goes somewhere no one else dared and it totally paid off. Ive watched this movie over again and it never fails to make me laugh. The characters are so utterly clumsy in there attempts to fulfil their destinies and much of the humour is from sheer idiocy and stupidness. Four Lions has some of the most memorable moments of any comedy, the type that you will use in conversation with friends and you'll be waiting for the next time you watch it. A mention needs to be made for how moderately tasteful this subject has be done, not completely but enough for you to think they tried.
½ August 21, 2015
This is essentially a feature length, live action version of the incompetent terrorists from Monkey Dust. Sadly, the jokes are spread very thin and are often more slapstick than satirical.
½ August 16, 2015
Four Lions is a dark comedy that I find more intelligent than funny.
The movie is filled with tonnes of social commentary that only someone with a keen eye would be able to point out.

Despite the initial presentation of the movie that I thought was initially just to make fun of Muslims and Muslim terrorists, the movie later on seems to be neutral-sided; making government officials and the police-force look equally as incompetent and oafish as the five terrorists that are plotting a suicide-bombing.

Being a black comedy, the movie's humor is either a hit or miss for the audience. It's frequent awkward silence and conversations can either leave people laughing in their seats or just chuckling at it's absurd comedic moments.
July 20, 2015
There's a telling moment in Chris Morris' scathing satire of radical Islamists: Omar, the smartest member of a group of eager but profoundly dim-witted British self-proclaimed, anti-Western jihadists, is walking through a park when he sees his moderate Muslim brother playing football with his friends. He asks Omar to join their community, but Omar merely responds with disdainful remarks. Is he angry that his brother is not a "true" muslim because he's not willing to blow himself up? Or is he jealous that his brother is evidently contented with his life without jihad? This moment perfectly exemplifies one of the film's greatest strengths: its politics are never that clear, without ever blaming either the doctrine of Islam or just the depravity of human mind as for why religious terrorists do what they do. Radical Islam has always been controversial topic (right now more than ever), but Morris is smart enough to never let his film tilt on either side of the debate. Four Lions is an outrageously funny and absurd comedy with just the right dose of humanity amidst all the dark comedy, with fantastic performances from the cast, especially Nigel Lindsay and Kayvan Novak. Only towards the end the laughter gets stuck in the viewer's throat, as the film becomes also a sad reminder of an alarming fact: that real people really do these things, in the real world.
½ July 18, 2015
Superbly written, understated, but hilarious black comedy.
½ June 5, 2015
Jihad is more work than we think. I had no expectations and was just about to stop watching when I found something funny enough to laugh. And again. I made it through the whole thing. Most of it look so fresh I would think they improvised their lines. They played it seriously and it was funny like that. Their explosions looked real and not cinematic, adding a level of veracity.
½ June 5, 2015
½ May 26, 2015
Well played, written and acted with some dark comedic current ideas. Watch it!
May 22, 2015
Unusual concept for a comedy (terrorism) deftly mixes comedy with tragedy.
April 26, 2015
Amazingly hilarious movie, managing to make a decidedly unfunny concept - extremely funny. People who are offended by it are not people who have broad minds that are supposed to be a characteristic of a civilised society, and are thus not much better than proponents of jihad themselves.
½ March 25, 2015
If u haven't seen this wee classic check it out funniest wee film in a long time
March 20, 2015
Not the funniest but still very funny in its own right.