Four Lions - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Four Lions Reviews

½ August 25, 2015
Four Lions is hands down one of the most controversial movies all time but also one of the funniest. Its a clever story which is undoubtedly risky in todays time yet Chris Morris goes somewhere no one else dared and it totally paid off. Ive watched this movie over again and it never fails to make me laugh. The characters are so utterly clumsy in there attempts to fulfil their destinies and much of the humour is from sheer idiocy and stupidness. Four Lions has some of the most memorable moments of any comedy, the type that you will use in conversation with friends and you'll be waiting for the next time you watch it. A mention needs to be made for how moderately tasteful this subject has be done, not completely but enough for you to think they tried.
½ August 21, 2015
This is essentially a feature length, live action version of the incompetent terrorists from Monkey Dust. Sadly, the jokes are spread very thin and are often more slapstick than satirical.
½ August 16, 2015
Four Lions is a dark comedy that I find more intelligent than funny.
The movie is filled with tonnes of social commentary that only someone with a keen eye would be able to point out.

Despite the initial presentation of the movie that I thought was initially just to make fun of Muslims and Muslim terrorists, the movie later on seems to be neutral-sided; making government officials and the police-force look equally as incompetent and oafish as the five terrorists that are plotting a suicide-bombing.

Being a black comedy, the movie's humor is either a hit or miss for the audience. It's frequent awkward silence and conversations can either leave people laughing in their seats or just chuckling at it's absurd comedic moments.
July 20, 2015
There's a telling moment in Chris Morris' scathing satire of radical Islamists: Omar, the smartest member of a group of eager but profoundly dim-witted British self-proclaimed, anti-Western jihadists, is walking through a park when he sees his moderate Muslim brother playing football with his friends. He asks Omar to join their community, but Omar merely responds with disdainful remarks. Is he angry that his brother is not a "true" muslim because he's not willing to blow himself up? Or is he jealous that his brother is evidently contented with his life without jihad? This moment perfectly exemplifies one of the film's greatest strengths: its politics are never that clear, without ever blaming either the doctrine of Islam or just the depravity of human mind as for why religious terrorists do what they do. Radical Islam has always been controversial topic (right now more than ever), but Morris is smart enough to never let his film tilt on either side of the debate. Four Lions is an outrageously funny and absurd comedy with just the right dose of humanity amidst all the dark comedy, with fantastic performances from the cast, especially Nigel Lindsay and Kayvan Novak. Only towards the end the laughter gets stuck in the viewer's throat, as the film becomes also a sad reminder of an alarming fact: that real people really do these things, in the real world.
½ July 18, 2015
Superbly written, understated, but hilarious black comedy.
½ June 5, 2015
Jihad is more work than we think. I had no expectations and was just about to stop watching when I found something funny enough to laugh. And again. I made it through the whole thing. Most of it look so fresh I would think they improvised their lines. They played it seriously and it was funny like that. Their explosions looked real and not cinematic, adding a level of veracity.
½ May 26, 2015
Well played, written and acted with some dark comedic current ideas. Watch it!
May 22, 2015
Unusual concept for a comedy (terrorism) deftly mixes comedy with tragedy.
April 26, 2015
Amazingly hilarious movie, managing to make a decidedly unfunny concept - extremely funny. People who are offended by it are not people who have broad minds that are supposed to be a characteristic of a civilised society, and are thus not much better than proponents of jihad themselves.
½ March 25, 2015
If u haven't seen this wee classic check it out funniest wee film in a long time
March 20, 2015
Not the funniest but still very funny in its own right.
½ March 17, 2015
Clever take on contemporary issues, however I was left feeling rather uncomfortable about what I was seeing and that overall hindered my enjoyment. I feel that awkwardness was intended, as it is essentially a movie about murdering innocent people. However I found the dark side of this film too over powering.
½ March 7, 2015
As a case study for my media I had to watch this and yes I said urghhhh! but as I started to watch it,it became the devil yet genius at the same time , deffinatly recommend ~
½ February 22, 2015
7/10 A great comedy but a powerful message left for thought.
February 21, 2015
Yesterday I accidentally swallowed some food coloring. The doctor says I'm OK, but I feel like I've dyed a little inside.
½ February 20, 2015
An amazingly funny film about radicalization.
½ February 12, 2015
The finest comedy you can do about Jihad, Four Lions hits the nail on the head and gets funnier with every rewatch. Smart and tight, Four Lions draws most of its laughs from the chemistry of its talented cast, led by the incredibly likeable Riz Ahmed.

Watch Four Lions, then watch it again, it gets better with every watch.
February 6, 2015
Oh what a fun movie. This is good indie comedy. It is dark and not meant for real laugh out louds, but it has those too mind you. Good dialogue writing, decent acting, fun direction makes this a great watch. It does not raise so many questions as you would assume, but hey, it is not supposed to. Watch it while you remember the name, because very soon, this movie will slip under the carpet never to resurface (it is one of those).
½ January 29, 2015
Finding humour in the blackest of subjects, Four Lions is a disturbingly hilarious tale of a quartet of woeful terrorists. Full review later.
½ January 29, 2015
Black comedy with great characters and some hysterical one-liners. Plenty of laughs in this "of-its-time" movie. And underneath the laughs some smart, insightful observations on modern Britain. See it!