Four Weddings and a Funeral - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Four Weddings and a Funeral Reviews

½ June 11, 2015
La storia d'amore che accompagna tutto il film Ŕ classica e si sa benissimo dove andrÓ a parare, ma il film Ŕ indubbiamente impreziosito da uno humor brillante, popolare senza scadere mai troppo.
Un film apprezzabile da tutti, ma nulla di trascendentale
June 8, 2015
While it's only tepid at times, it's sweet and quirky.
June 6, 2015
Four Weddings and a Funeral is a hilarious film that I might need to start watching more films with Richard Curtis and Hugh Grant. Hugh Grant is really funny in this, having a lot of fun, and the cast are the same way too. The plot is what it is, there are four weddings and a funeral, which make it seem like a play, which I'm fine with. The writing is really good, and I'm surprised that Richard Curtis can create a lot of jokes for a wedding, and make all of the jokes effective. The chemistry between Hugh Grant and Andie MacDowell is really good, and I was interested to see what the next wedding is going to be about. Nothing really much to talk for this film, it's just hilarious enough that if people are fans of Hugh Grant, they should check this movie out.
½ May 31, 2015
It has all of the elements of a drab modern romantic comedy that helped make the genre almost unbearable to watch in the nineties, contrary to its popularity with the public. It's presumptuous, virtuous, and enervated. Set in England, Hugh Grant is a British man who falls in love with an American woman (Andie McDowell) during their various gatherings at weddings and a funeral. Life doesn't exist for the vacuous characters outside of these occasions, and marriage is earnestly presented as the key to happiness. This is the prototypical Hugh Grant role, which means he's charming, amusing, irritatingly mannered, and self-conscious. McDowell has a pretty smile but almost no personality. Her role is underwritten and the chemistry between the leads is tepid, so it's difficult to understand why we should care whether they end up together. The script by Richard Curtis has minimal wit and Mike Newell's direction lacks the needed zest. This had the makings of a great farce, but the filmmakers opted for a more straightforward, sentimental approach. These ceremonies are so vapid that being in the casket would be preferable to giving the eulogy. Rowan Atkinson supplies the only real laughs as a novice priest who butchers the nuptial recitation. Kristin Scott Thomas has an affecting moment when she confides her love to Grant. The rest is largely forgettable. With John Hannah, Simon Callow, James Fleet.
May 7, 2015
A bit of a disappointment considering the way I've felt about every other film Richard Curtis has been involved with that I've seen. I didn't find it funny at all and I felt it lacked the heart of a Notting Hill or Love Actually.
April 7, 2015
So this movie beated the 1994 film Pulp Fiction at the BAFT awards and just like the Oscars the BAFTA messed up.

Normally British films to me are kind of an mix bag for me and what I mean is sometimes I will enjoy or be bored by movies from Britain. I don't know why it just happens, and this is coming from a guy who is from Britain. I was a bit shocked when I find out that this movie won best film at BAFTA awards, and to the people who liked this movie more than Titanic that's fine but to me in my personal opinion this movie was okay.

Let's start of with the positive: The acting from everyone was solid and this movie has a great cast.

The movie did make me laugh at times with characters doing whacky things that no normal person would do at a wedding yeah those kind of jokes.

I'm not going to spoil anything but these a scene where there are at this funeral and one of the characters give a sad and kind of moving speech.

Now for things that didn't work for me: I didn't really think this movie is on the level of amazing as some has put it out to be, I'm saying it's bad I honestly think it's just okay.
April 3, 2015
I was bored and barely laughed
½ March 27, 2015
Well, I have always praised British television series. A couple of movies like this one, I might even forgo Hollywood ;)
February 27, 2015
A romantic comedy-drama about a Englishman who meets an American woman over the course of said title. This is Hugh Grant at his most charming and vulnerable. There are some funny moments, some sad moments, but overall a great British movie about finding love.

Grade: A-
February 16, 2015
I'm not sure hwy this is such a cherished rom-com! It has no back story, is quite repetitive and you don't particularly care if Grant & MacDowell end up together - why does he even love her in the first place? Some funny moments, but definitely needed more Atkinson. Not fun or exciting enough - not worth a re-watch!
½ February 9, 2015
Though highly-acclaimed, I had never even heard of Four Weddings And A Funeral until I randomly purchased an old VHS tape of it out of curiosity. Well, I can say that I'm glad that I did because I got an excellent romantic comedy from that random purchase. What makes this film great - among many things - is that manages to successfully blend light-hearted humor with genuine emotion and thoughts about relationships and life itself. It's strange to see a film pull off that sort of feat that would cause most other films of its kind to fall flat on their faces.

The story focuses on an awkward, aloof, and single man named Charles who finds himself invited to four weddings over a period of months. At the first of the weddings, for which he screwed up as best man by forgetting the rings (Instead, novelty rings had to be used), he meets a beautiful American woman named Carrie, whom he ends up having a one night stand with.

The next morning, she jokes to him that since they've had sex, they should get married, which causes Charles to struggle for some sort of answer. After revealing it was a joke, Carrie reveals that she will be going back to America, and the two regret that they could have done something more to keep things going between them.

However, Charles is still enamored by Carrie, and decides to pursue her at the next three weddings which she is a part of, as well as a funeral when one of Charles' friends suddenly dies during one of the weddings.

The story also takes time to focus on Charles' various friends and his run-ins with his ex-girlfriends during these various events, with people falling in love, various shenanigans, and so forth.

While the story can become a bit hectic at times as it tries to balance so many elements and subplots, the story manages to expertly keep them steady most of the time. I also enjoyed how it managed to develop its various characters, even if they were only minor characters. Everyone seemed to have a personality and their own quirky stories behind them. While the humor is rather light-hearted, the story also manages to have a lot to say about life and relationships, giving it some rather unexpected depth. There's a lot here for people who enjoy light-hearted romantic comedies, but also want some meat on their comedies.

While the performances across the board are great, the two leads: Hugh Grant and Andie MacDowell are easily the best of the performers. Grant does a great job of playing the awkward Charles believably, while MacDowell does a fantastic job as the strong-willed, sexy Carrie. The two also had great chemistry with each other, making the scenes between them the best aspects of several great aspects of this film. There is not a single weak performance I can think of when it comes to the acting in this film.

When it came to the humor, I was laughing, and laughing hard from the very beginning of the film to the very end. It works as a romantic comedy, a sex comedy, a dramedy, a screwball comedy, a partial slapstick comedy, and other comedy aspects quite well. There's a lot here for a comedy fan to enjoy, if you're into this sort of film.

Four Weddings And A Funeral is an excellent romantic comedy with a great story, great characters, fantastic acting, and hilarious humor all making for a great film. If you love a good romantic comedy, this film is something to pick up because it is a fantastic romantic comedy.
February 2, 2015
This generally light-hearted British rom-com centers around a romantically-inclined commitiphobe who keeps running into an alluring American women at weddings.
January 19, 2015
A romantic comedy that actually has some pretty insightful things to say about love and relationships. At times, it's pretty funny, but always has something interesting to say. Writer Richard Curtis has now become known for his thoughtful romantic comedies, but it all started here with this film about one man coming to terms with commitment and his feelings for one woman. Hugh Grant might be rather insufferable now, but his charming performance here really shows why he became so popular in romantic comedies.

Andie MacDowell is also pretty fantastic in her role as a woman unsure of what she wants out of a relationship. With a great and humorous supporting cast behind them, namely Rowan Atkinson's bumbling priest, Four Weddings and a Funeral has enough of a great ensemble to keep things interesting for the near 120 min run time.

If you're tired of current romantic comedies based on this style of film, than you should really go back and visit the one that started it all. Four Weddings and a Funeral is sweet and charming, and actually rather insightful. You won't be let down by the film.
January 13, 2015
This movie, seeing part of Hugh Grant's phase as a bumbling, fumbling fool, probably wouldn't have seemed as annoying in 1994 as it does 20 year after the fact. I honestly am not aware how long he had been doing this up to this point or if this was the start of it. I know he did a lot of period movies prior to this, and after this too. The thing is, while people, including myself, think the act is simply just too simplistic and generic, Hugh Grant has proven to be a really talented actor. He has good comedic timing and when he's given a playboy type role, like in the Bridget Jones' films and About a Boy, he can excel at it. He's still talented as the bumbling fool who stammers a lot in this film, but it's just something that I've seen far to often to truly like anymore. But I digress part of me really liked this film, and I think Brits are the best at making these light, breezy rom-coms, but there's also parts of me that are like 'this is the most British romantic comedy I have ever seen' and not in a good way. I don't mean that as an insult, of course, as, by and large, I've loved many films from Britain, and the entire United Kingdom as it stands, but there's just something about it. I can't quite put my finger on what it is, but it just took a bit away from my enjoyment of the film. One of the first things I can point to is the fact that I think the film is simply too long for its own goods. While the film sees plenty of highlights in each of the weddings, spread out somewhat equally through each of the four weddings, I just still think that one of these segments could've been simply cut out just for the sake of time and pacing. I just think that, outside of the very obvious comedic highlights, everything in between these highlights, particularly the stuff between Hugh Grant and Andie McDowell, are pretty dull. I doubt I'm the only one that thought this but, outside of the movie wanting you to believe it, Hugh and Andie have a bland chemistry with each other. Their romance is just really dull to watch, in my opinion, and the fact that the film is all about Charles falling in love with Carrie makes it even worse. Personally, if it were up to me, Charles would've ended up with Fiona...Hugh just had far more natural chemistry with Kristin Scott Thomas than Andie McDowell. Because of that, the film has a really disappointing conclusion. Not to mention the dullness of their actual romance. That really took a lot away from the film, to me. That's not to say it isn't a good film, because it is, but it hasn't stood the test of time particularly well. You can't hold that against the film, I know, but you can't also hold it against me for not viewing the through 2014 eyes. Other films have universal themes that can be applied to any generation, this is not one of them and it's definitely more noticeable. Were there really no better movies in 1994 that THIS received a best picture nomination at the Oscars? It doesn't really matter in the long run. Let's just say that this isn't THAT good as to have deserved the nomination. I hate to seem as if I'm shitting on the film, because it's not bad by any means. The dialogue is good and it has plenty of very funny moments with a good cast, but its insistence on focusing the romance on two characters that have no chemistry whatsoever really hurt the quality in the long run. The movie is still pretty good, but I was expecting it to be much better. Still, if you want something light and breezy, then this will definitely be up your alley, if you haven't seen it already at least. Give me Love, Actually any day of the week.
January 10, 2015
Would be 5 stars, but alas... Andie MacDowell, girl, you just cannot act.
January 6, 2015
This is a pitch perfect romantic comedy with a wonderful script and strong performances throughout.
January 5, 2015
I regret wasting two hours of my life on this movie.
November 16, 2014
Entretenida, solo eso.
November 4, 2014
While it's often times amusing with some very well scripted humor, Four Weddings and a Funeral ultimately doesn't manage to say much profound on sex or love or marriage despite its extensive dialogue on the subject.
½ October 3, 2014
If there were archetypal figures in the world of British romantic comedies, Richard Curtis and Hugh Grant would probably be the two uttermost defining people. Curtis, who has written or directed his way into legend status, has given us the likes of "Notting Hill" and "Love Actually". Grant, a charm monster for his entire career, has played the neurotic, likable male lead for ages.
"Four Weddings and a Funeral" is a high point for both, a classic in its own right. Written by Curtis, the film is filled with his most noticeable trademarks: the abundance of silly characters, the unexpected tragedy, the shining exchanges between the two leads, and more. I've come to enjoy Curtis' films ("About Time" was a favorite of mine last year), and I feel somewhat familiar with his style. Though it feels as though he has a secret formula or template to make the perfect romantic comedy, he does in such a way that makes it nearly impossible not to enjoy yourself, even if it is just a little bit.
Grant plays a typical Grant character, the kind that stutters when he's nervous, has the hair that looks like he just woke up (but you know it took him hours), and doesn't realize why women seem to pass out at his feet. He portrays Charles, an Englishman. We first meet him as he rushes to a wedding, severely late and, coincidentally, the best man. He forgets the rings and causes quite a disturbance, but once he delivers a breezily witty speech, it's impossible to not want to see what antics he'll be up to next.
At the wedding, he meets Carrie (Andie MacDowell), a beautiful American. They spend the night together, and after she goes back to the U.S., it leaves both Charles and us feeling a bit empty inside. But true to the title, the story is weaved in-between four weddings and a funeral. And, unfortunately, at the next wedding, Charles and Carrie are both guests, but this time, she has shown up with her ... fiance. Surprisingly, the next two weddings have Carrie and Charles at the head, but not together. And if you're wondering, yes, there is a happy ending (if there wasn't, the film wouldn't be nearly as popular), but the film is worth a watch just to see how.
Sometimes you have to remind yourself that the characters in "Four Weddings and a Funeral" don't just go to weddings and funerals for a living. The film doesn't want to bore us with the mundane details, and we're grateful for it. Grant is the leading man, but he attends the ceremonies with a delightful group of people that have the rapport of the cast of "Friends", even if we don't get to know their relationships quite as well.
They feel at ease with each other, and like Curtis' other films, Charles' friends make for many good laughs. Curtis' writing is sharp, and the weddings really do feel like weddings: the awkward laughs are there, the meet-and-greets, and the "sorry for bumping into you"'s. Even Carrie and Charles' touch-and-go romance begins with that uncomfortable quality.
"Four Weddings and a Funeral" is a winner, plain and simply, even if it doesn't present anything new for our cynical, modern times. It's a distinct reminder as to why Grant was such a huge star in the '90s and how MacDowell could drift between glamour girl sensibilities and girl-next-door lovability.