Four Weddings and a Funeral - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Four Weddings and a Funeral Reviews

November 4, 2014
While it's often times amusing with some very well scripted humor, Four Weddings and a Funeral ultimately doesn't manage to say much profound on sex or love or marriage despite its extensive dialogue on the subject.
½ October 3, 2014
If there were archetypal figures in the world of British romantic comedies, Richard Curtis and Hugh Grant would probably be the two uttermost defining people. Curtis, who has written or directed his way into legend status, has given us the likes of "Notting Hill" and "Love Actually". Grant, a charm monster for his entire career, has played the neurotic, likable male lead for ages.
"Four Weddings and a Funeral" is a high point for both, a classic in its own right. Written by Curtis, the film is filled with his most noticeable trademarks: the abundance of silly characters, the unexpected tragedy, the shining exchanges between the two leads, and more. I've come to enjoy Curtis' films ("About Time" was a favorite of mine last year), and I feel somewhat familiar with his style. Though it feels as though he has a secret formula or template to make the perfect romantic comedy, he does in such a way that makes it nearly impossible not to enjoy yourself, even if it is just a little bit.
Grant plays a typical Grant character, the kind that stutters when he's nervous, has the hair that looks like he just woke up (but you know it took him hours), and doesn't realize why women seem to pass out at his feet. He portrays Charles, an Englishman. We first meet him as he rushes to a wedding, severely late and, coincidentally, the best man. He forgets the rings and causes quite a disturbance, but once he delivers a breezily witty speech, it's impossible to not want to see what antics he'll be up to next.
At the wedding, he meets Carrie (Andie MacDowell), a beautiful American. They spend the night together, and after she goes back to the U.S., it leaves both Charles and us feeling a bit empty inside. But true to the title, the story is weaved in-between four weddings and a funeral. And, unfortunately, at the next wedding, Charles and Carrie are both guests, but this time, she has shown up with her ... fiance. Surprisingly, the next two weddings have Carrie and Charles at the head, but not together. And if you're wondering, yes, there is a happy ending (if there wasn't, the film wouldn't be nearly as popular), but the film is worth a watch just to see how.
Sometimes you have to remind yourself that the characters in "Four Weddings and a Funeral" don't just go to weddings and funerals for a living. The film doesn't want to bore us with the mundane details, and we're grateful for it. Grant is the leading man, but he attends the ceremonies with a delightful group of people that have the rapport of the cast of "Friends", even if we don't get to know their relationships quite as well.
They feel at ease with each other, and like Curtis' other films, Charles' friends make for many good laughs. Curtis' writing is sharp, and the weddings really do feel like weddings: the awkward laughs are there, the meet-and-greets, and the "sorry for bumping into you"'s. Even Carrie and Charles' touch-and-go romance begins with that uncomfortable quality.
"Four Weddings and a Funeral" is a winner, plain and simply, even if it doesn't present anything new for our cynical, modern times. It's a distinct reminder as to why Grant was such a huge star in the '90s and how MacDowell could drift between glamour girl sensibilities and girl-next-door lovability.
½ August 28, 2014
This was quite a strange film. Although it had obvious faults (the main one being Andie MacDowell), this film is certainly 100 times better than most romantic comedies that I've seen.
One thing that was strange was that some bits in the film were top notch. The scene with Rowan Atkinson as the struggling priest was hilarious, the scene when Charles is forced to watch the bride and groom on their wedding night (second wedding) was hysterical, and the funeral scene was heartfelt as well as the overall friendship of the main characters.
However, this film did a very brave move. That move is love at first sight, when a character that we already know a bit falls in love with a character that we don't know a single bit about. Mike Newell was probably thinking, "Ok, Andie's smile is probably enough to win over the crowd." but when I was watching it, I thought, "Wow, she's really 90s. Her hair annoys me." The only time in which her character appeared interesting was the recounting scene with Charles. Appart from that, she's ordinary and frankly ... boring. Although I did find her boring, she did in a way redeem herself in the end of the film. I loved the ending since it broke the rules.
Overall, this film is certainly in a completely different league from most romantic comedies, the more recent ones. Apart from the obvious faults, it's a good film.
May 29, 2014
It was released in 1994 but is still fresh and enjoyable.
May 26, 2014
One of the wittier Romantic comedies, with a simple yet effective message.
½ May 12, 2014
4 Wedding's and a funeral had its moments but never had me completely invested. It was light hearted and breezy for the most part but had a couple of boring portions that had me checking my watch. It had a sort of British charm to it but that wasn't enough to compensate for what I thought was a poorly conceived central romantic plot that I had trouble caring much about. I found it an average watch at best.
April 1, 2014
With the structure of a straightforward, nimble rom-com, Four Weddings and a Funeral is more so an intelligent portrayal of a bachelor afraid of commitment.
January 16, 2014
A classy & classic British comedy reuniting a brilliant cast for two hours of fun. Nice.
January 3, 2014
Just your typical Hugh Grant rom com. That's a good thing.
½ January 1, 2014
Uma comédia sensacional, verdadeira, tocante e com boas sacadas! O elenco está ótimo (Kristin Scott Thomas merecia um texto por sua atuação).
½ December 22, 2013
Love Hugh as usual, but as light hearted as this movie is, it glorifies infidelity, which is a major turn off for me.
December 4, 2013
"Quatre mariages et un enterrement" est une comedie romantique tres reussie grace a un scenario assez sophistique, sous couvert de raconter une histoire d'amour tout ce qu'il y a de plus simple. Celui-ci est mis en scene de maniere remarquable par un Mike Newell qui a pu s'aider d'acteurs particulierement inspires, comme Hugh Grant ou Charlotte Coleman. Tres bonne bande-son
December 3, 2013
I've TRIED to watch this movie, but I can't get through it. That must say something...
½ November 14, 2013
A delightfully feel-good movie that generates genuine laughs from second-hand embarrassment.
November 9, 2013
Despite having its more than fair share of clumsy moments, Four Weddings and a Funeral has enough funny moments to be watchable.
½ October 23, 2013
Other than the slapstick and sarcastic humour, I can't say I really cared for this movie. To me, it was much too formulaic and cheesy, loyally following other romantic comedies. The intersection of the four weddings and the funeral (the last wedding could also arguably be considered a funeral) was interesting and creative, but otherwise, the plot was bland.

I generally hated both protagonists because the majority of their relationship happens because they are cheating on their current partners. They never seem to question their actions or think "hey, maybe what I'm doing isn't right and I should wait until I'm unattached." Also, they both settle for people that they don't like, as if it's better to be in a relationship than single for even a second. There was no chemistry or even a reason for Carrie to be with her older husband (except maybe money) and I felt the same way with Charles and Duckface. Also, Carrie, unlike Charles, who is at least a somewhat interesting person, is as dull as dry toast and the scenes with her mostly consisted of her saying hi and smiling and talking in her "exotic" American accent. There were also a few painful scenes (like the generic trying on wedding dresses montage) where she desperately attempted to be interesting. I did however enjoy Charles' talent for getting into extremely awkward situations.

Sure, it's isn't Valentine's Day, but I would not call it a classic or even a good quality romantic comedy.
October 21, 2013
A romantic story that has quite a bit of heart and a good dose of humor, particularly the supporting actors.
September 24, 2013
Thought I would give this film another go fearing that I may have been a bit harsh in the past about it. I wasn't. Boring sentimental claptrap.
½ September 12, 2013
Leaving aside some inconsistencies, this is a genuine rom-com with a brisk sense of humor.
½ August 31, 2013
A lighthearted and lovely film. I loved the plot, and the performances of all the supporting cast, and Hugh Grant is very believable as his character Charles, while Andie MacDowell's performance (that's the reason I marked it down half a star) I loved the plot and basically everything about this movie. Highly recommended!