Four Weddings and a Funeral - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Four Weddings and a Funeral Reviews

February 2, 2015
This generally light-hearted British rom-com centers around a romantically-inclined commitiphobe who keeps running into an alluring American women at weddings.
January 19, 2015
A romantic comedy that actually has some pretty insightful things to say about love and relationships. At times, it's pretty funny, but always has something interesting to say. Writer Richard Curtis has now become known for his thoughtful romantic comedies, but it all started here with this film about one man coming to terms with commitment and his feelings for one woman. Hugh Grant might be rather insufferable now, but his charming performance here really shows why he became so popular in romantic comedies.

Andie MacDowell is also pretty fantastic in her role as a woman unsure of what she wants out of a relationship. With a great and humorous supporting cast behind them, namely Rowan Atkinson's bumbling priest, Four Weddings and a Funeral has enough of a great ensemble to keep things interesting for the near 120 min run time.

If you're tired of current romantic comedies based on this style of film, than you should really go back and visit the one that started it all. Four Weddings and a Funeral is sweet and charming, and actually rather insightful. You won't be let down by the film.
January 13, 2015
This movie, seeing part of Hugh Grant's phase as a bumbling, fumbling fool, probably wouldn't have seemed as annoying in 1994 as it does 20 year after the fact. I honestly am not aware how long he had been doing this up to this point or if this was the start of it. I know he did a lot of period movies prior to this, and after this too. The thing is, while people, including myself, think the act is simply just too simplistic and generic, Hugh Grant has proven to be a really talented actor. He has good comedic timing and when he's given a playboy type role, like in the Bridget Jones' films and About a Boy, he can excel at it. He's still talented as the bumbling fool who stammers a lot in this film, but it's just something that I've seen far to often to truly like anymore. But I digress part of me really liked this film, and I think Brits are the best at making these light, breezy rom-coms, but there's also parts of me that are like 'this is the most British romantic comedy I have ever seen' and not in a good way. I don't mean that as an insult, of course, as, by and large, I've loved many films from Britain, and the entire United Kingdom as it stands, but there's just something about it. I can't quite put my finger on what it is, but it just took a bit away from my enjoyment of the film. One of the first things I can point to is the fact that I think the film is simply too long for its own goods. While the film sees plenty of highlights in each of the weddings, spread out somewhat equally through each of the four weddings, I just still think that one of these segments could've been simply cut out just for the sake of time and pacing. I just think that, outside of the very obvious comedic highlights, everything in between these highlights, particularly the stuff between Hugh Grant and Andie McDowell, are pretty dull. I doubt I'm the only one that thought this but, outside of the movie wanting you to believe it, Hugh and Andie have a bland chemistry with each other. Their romance is just really dull to watch, in my opinion, and the fact that the film is all about Charles falling in love with Carrie makes it even worse. Personally, if it were up to me, Charles would've ended up with Fiona...Hugh just had far more natural chemistry with Kristin Scott Thomas than Andie McDowell. Because of that, the film has a really disappointing conclusion. Not to mention the dullness of their actual romance. That really took a lot away from the film, to me. That's not to say it isn't a good film, because it is, but it hasn't stood the test of time particularly well. You can't hold that against the film, I know, but you can't also hold it against me for not viewing the through 2014 eyes. Other films have universal themes that can be applied to any generation, this is not one of them and it's definitely more noticeable. Were there really no better movies in 1994 that THIS received a best picture nomination at the Oscars? It doesn't really matter in the long run. Let's just say that this isn't THAT good as to have deserved the nomination. I hate to seem as if I'm shitting on the film, because it's not bad by any means. The dialogue is good and it has plenty of very funny moments with a good cast, but its insistence on focusing the romance on two characters that have no chemistry whatsoever really hurt the quality in the long run. The movie is still pretty good, but I was expecting it to be much better. Still, if you want something light and breezy, then this will definitely be up your alley, if you haven't seen it already at least. Give me Love, Actually any day of the week.
January 10, 2015
Would be 5 stars, but alas... Andie MacDowell, girl, you just cannot act.
January 6, 2015
This is a pitch perfect romantic comedy with a wonderful script and strong performances throughout.
January 5, 2015
I regret wasting two hours of my life on this movie.
November 16, 2014
Entretenida, solo eso.
November 4, 2014
While it's often times amusing with some very well scripted humor, Four Weddings and a Funeral ultimately doesn't manage to say much profound on sex or love or marriage despite its extensive dialogue on the subject.
½ October 3, 2014
If there were archetypal figures in the world of British romantic comedies, Richard Curtis and Hugh Grant would probably be the two uttermost defining people. Curtis, who has written or directed his way into legend status, has given us the likes of "Notting Hill" and "Love Actually". Grant, a charm monster for his entire career, has played the neurotic, likable male lead for ages.
"Four Weddings and a Funeral" is a high point for both, a classic in its own right. Written by Curtis, the film is filled with his most noticeable trademarks: the abundance of silly characters, the unexpected tragedy, the shining exchanges between the two leads, and more. I've come to enjoy Curtis' films ("About Time" was a favorite of mine last year), and I feel somewhat familiar with his style. Though it feels as though he has a secret formula or template to make the perfect romantic comedy, he does in such a way that makes it nearly impossible not to enjoy yourself, even if it is just a little bit.
Grant plays a typical Grant character, the kind that stutters when he's nervous, has the hair that looks like he just woke up (but you know it took him hours), and doesn't realize why women seem to pass out at his feet. He portrays Charles, an Englishman. We first meet him as he rushes to a wedding, severely late and, coincidentally, the best man. He forgets the rings and causes quite a disturbance, but once he delivers a breezily witty speech, it's impossible to not want to see what antics he'll be up to next.
At the wedding, he meets Carrie (Andie MacDowell), a beautiful American. They spend the night together, and after she goes back to the U.S., it leaves both Charles and us feeling a bit empty inside. But true to the title, the story is weaved in-between four weddings and a funeral. And, unfortunately, at the next wedding, Charles and Carrie are both guests, but this time, she has shown up with her ... fiance. Surprisingly, the next two weddings have Carrie and Charles at the head, but not together. And if you're wondering, yes, there is a happy ending (if there wasn't, the film wouldn't be nearly as popular), but the film is worth a watch just to see how.
Sometimes you have to remind yourself that the characters in "Four Weddings and a Funeral" don't just go to weddings and funerals for a living. The film doesn't want to bore us with the mundane details, and we're grateful for it. Grant is the leading man, but he attends the ceremonies with a delightful group of people that have the rapport of the cast of "Friends", even if we don't get to know their relationships quite as well.
They feel at ease with each other, and like Curtis' other films, Charles' friends make for many good laughs. Curtis' writing is sharp, and the weddings really do feel like weddings: the awkward laughs are there, the meet-and-greets, and the "sorry for bumping into you"'s. Even Carrie and Charles' touch-and-go romance begins with that uncomfortable quality.
"Four Weddings and a Funeral" is a winner, plain and simply, even if it doesn't present anything new for our cynical, modern times. It's a distinct reminder as to why Grant was such a huge star in the '90s and how MacDowell could drift between glamour girl sensibilities and girl-next-door lovability.
½ August 28, 2014
This was quite a strange film. Although it had obvious faults (the main one being Andie MacDowell), this film is certainly 100 times better than most romantic comedies that I've seen.
One thing that was strange was that some bits in the film were top notch. The scene with Rowan Atkinson as the struggling priest was hilarious, the scene when Charles is forced to watch the bride and groom on their wedding night (second wedding) was hysterical, and the funeral scene was heartfelt as well as the overall friendship of the main characters.
However, this film did a very brave move. That move is love at first sight, when a character that we already know a bit falls in love with a character that we don't know a single bit about. Mike Newell was probably thinking, "Ok, Andie's smile is probably enough to win over the crowd." but when I was watching it, I thought, "Wow, she's really 90s. Her hair annoys me." The only time in which her character appeared interesting was the recounting scene with Charles. Appart from that, she's ordinary and frankly ... boring. Although I did find her boring, she did in a way redeem herself in the end of the film. I loved the ending since it broke the rules.
Overall, this film is certainly in a completely different league from most romantic comedies, the more recent ones. Apart from the obvious faults, it's a good film.
May 29, 2014
It was released in 1994 but is still fresh and enjoyable.
May 26, 2014
One of the wittier Romantic comedies, with a simple yet effective message.
½ May 12, 2014
4 Wedding's and a funeral had its moments but never had me completely invested. It was light hearted and breezy for the most part but had a couple of boring portions that had me checking my watch. It had a sort of British charm to it but that wasn't enough to compensate for what I thought was a poorly conceived central romantic plot that I had trouble caring much about. I found it an average watch at best.
April 1, 2014
With the structure of a straightforward, nimble rom-com, Four Weddings and a Funeral is more so an intelligent portrayal of a bachelor afraid of commitment.
January 16, 2014
A classy & classic British comedy reuniting a brilliant cast for two hours of fun. Nice.
January 3, 2014
Just your typical Hugh Grant rom com. That's a good thing.
½ January 1, 2014
Uma comédia sensacional, verdadeira, tocante e com boas sacadas! O elenco está ótimo (Kristin Scott Thomas merecia um texto por sua atuação).
½ December 22, 2013
Love Hugh as usual, but as light hearted as this movie is, it glorifies infidelity, which is a major turn off for me.
December 4, 2013
"Quatre mariages et un enterrement" est une comedie romantique tres reussie grace a un scenario assez sophistique, sous couvert de raconter une histoire d'amour tout ce qu'il y a de plus simple. Celui-ci est mis en scene de maniere remarquable par un Mike Newell qui a pu s'aider d'acteurs particulierement inspires, comme Hugh Grant ou Charlotte Coleman. Tres bonne bande-son
December 3, 2013
I've TRIED to watch this movie, but I can't get through it. That must say something...