Four's a Crowd - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Four's a Crowd Reviews

August 6, 2015
A simple little romance quadrangle boasting some big names of the day Errol Flynn & Olivia deHavilland.

The story is basically Errol Flynn as a public relations man and all his conniving & how the effects the romance of the other three.

Mostly fun & light & little bit vague in parts but ultimately it's a linear Rom Com that lacks the impact of the like of Philadelphia Story.
April 22, 2015
Not very funny as a screwball comedy, but still enjoyable if instantly forgettable.
jjnxn
November 30, 2013
Breezy comedy with the four stars playing off each other very well. Errol's light touch is especially suited to this kind of material to bad he didn't have more chances to use it in this type of film.
½ August 10, 2013
Oh, Flynn, you are very funny but the movie itself could've been a touch more serious.
November 23, 2012
Four's a Crowd (1938) -- [6.5] -- It's surprising Errol Flynn didn't make more screwball comedies, because he's completely at home in this 'who's duping who' comedy, outrunning the guard dogs, shaking hands with people in side-by-side moving cars, and carrying on romantic telephone conversations with two women simultaneously. In "Four's a Crowd," he's teamed with his regular leading lady Olivia de Havilland, as well as Rosalind Russell (in a newspaper role the predates 'His Girl Friday'), Patric Knowles, and Walter Connolly. Flynn plays the supporting characters off one another for his own selfish gain. The film climaxes with a double-elopement wherein the couples chase each other, quarrel, split up, and switch partners before the vows are finished. If you're a fan of classic screwballs, this one shouldn't disappoint. And it's the only chance you'll ever get to see Errol Flynn bite both a dog and Rosalind Russell in the same movie. Look for character actor Margaret Hamilton (Oz's wicked witch) in small part.
½ September 29, 2012
You'll have a chance to see me when bananas grow on the North Pole

Bob Lansford is a charismatic fellow that used to run a newspaper. He is asked by a young lady to help her save the paper. Bob initially says no but when he discovers the young lady that asked him is the granddaughter of a man he despises, he decides to play along. A complicated love triangle forms between him, the granddaughter, his best friend, and his best friend's fiancée.

"If I wanted brains I'd go out and hire some."
"You ought to."

Michael Curtiz, director of White Christmas, The Vagabond King, Casablanca, Mildred Pierce, The Adventures of Robin Hood, Yankee Doodle Dandy, and Captain Blood, delivers Four's a Crowd. The storyline for this picture is fun to watch unravel but nothing spectacular overall. The script is well written and the cast delivers solid performances and includes Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, Rosalind Russell, Patric Knowles, and Walter Connolly.

"Do you want me to get a bullet in my head?"
"I'd like nothing better."

I have always enjoyed watching Errol Flynn movies and came across this picture while flicking through the channels. I decided to give it a shot and found it fairly entertaining. This isn't the greatest film in the world but Flynn displayed perfect charisma and I loved how the characters played off each other. I do recommend giving this film a shot.

"You people don't want a marriage you want a divorce."

Grade: B-
September 11, 2012
a fun breezy screwball comedy of the first order.
½ August 10, 2010
Loved it. DeHavviland is adorable, Flynn is wonderful, and Russell is superb as always. Not a very well known film but should be. It's enjoyable, and you will get a few laughs. All in all, a very happy, upbeat film - and you may even find yourself quoting some of the original, odd things spoken by the characters ; "bananas at the north pole".
½ June 8, 2009
Didn't much like Flynn in this, but the rest of the cast is great.