The Fourth Protocol - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Fourth Protocol Reviews

½ July 25, 2018
A good spy thriller can really hit the spot - but unfortunately, The Fourth Protocol, is really a by-the-numbers exercise in generic clichés that even Michael Caine can't salvage. Not that a straight genre film can't be fully enjoyable - they can be totally and explicitly formulaic and still great; however, this film is really just going through the motions. Apparently, author Frederick Forsyth and Caine were friends and dreamed up the idea of producing this version of his fifth spy novel (after successful films, without Caine, were made of his earlier books: The Day of the Jackal (1973), The Odessa File (1974), and The Dogs of War (1980)). I thought director John Mackenzie would be an added bonus, because his The Long Good Friday (1980) is so great (but alas, he never seemed to have directed anything else that good). Michael Caine is a British spy who is on the outs politically with his "acting" superior when he cottons on to a plan to smuggle an atomic bomb into the UK to blow up an American Air Force Base. Pierce Brosnan plays the undercover Russian spy doing the dirty deed. Of course, there is the usual political subterfuge going on in the background, which pulls the rug out from under the audience (sort of). However, all of this was done so much better in the awesome miniseries (adapted from John Le Carré), Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (1979), starring Alec Guinness, and its sequel, Smiley's People (1982). Start there first and skip this one.
May 3, 2018
Slightly dated, but leaner than average spy action.
November 6, 2016
A mixed bag. The film provides evidence that Pierce Brosnan can act and Michael Caine is effective as usual. In fact the whole cast is pretty solid.
There is some interesting technical stuff and tension is built up in a workmanlike fashion. Caine's outraged speech at the end just doesn't feel authentic and undoes some of the earlier good work. A great twist is that the Russian generals are American and don't hide their accents. Revenge perhaps for all those US films where the bad guys speak with British accents.
½ April 8, 2015
Intense spy thriller with Brosnan as the devilish heavy.
½ February 18, 2015
Above-average spy movie, with typically narrowminded superiors putting their own interests ahead of ideals. Film works largely on the efforts of its two stars Caine and Brosnan.
½ December 3, 2014
Pierce Brosnan as a Russian general. Please.
June 30, 2014
good action packed UK spy thriller
March 22, 2014
Ordinary Cold War spy thriller.
November 25, 2013
Pierce is right on and Killed it dude as KGB Agent and Killer Maj. Valeri Petrofsky.
June 22, 2013
Oh how this movie makes me smile, its gritty, gruesome and has a cast of such power and presence, it is hard to not be lured in by the gripping if slightly over the top plot.
May 9, 2013
Pierce Brosnan always make the role of good or handsome guy but in this movie he shows different qualities wich plays well as a villian or for stronger characters, even here is more cold-blooded than "butterfly on a wheel". He should make more antagonist character like this.
½ January 20, 2013
What elevates this cold war thriller above average are the performances by Caine and Brosnan who are both fantastic. It also has a good score, well made action and it has its entertaining moments.
½ October 27, 2012
Cold War intrigue as a British secret service agent foils a Russian attempt to detonate an atomic bomb on a US air force base in England to destroy NATO. No Russian accents were used in the making of this film.
March 6, 2012
I don't really remember much about this film (which probably indicates how much it gripped me). Still, I remember reading the novel, and was a little excited about this adaptation when it was released. Not so much anticipating a good movie, as for the references to the locations within the film. Bottom line: I was stationed at (now defunct) RAF Bentwaters/Woodbridge during the 80's, and it was kind of cool having the book use our bases as part of the main plot line. Also, a couple of the local sites within the nearby town of Ipswich such as The Great White Horse Hotel. As a side note: the aircraft we primarily maintained were A-10A Thunderbolt II's (aka: Warthogs). As for any nuclear materiel stored at the base, I don't really know one way or the other. I do remember that most of the anti-nuclear protests were at RAF Greenham Common, rather than our bases. So now, since this 'chapter' has been closed, I'm waiting for a movie about the "Rendlesham Incident", which also supposedly occurred while I was stationed there.
½ December 29, 2011
This looks like a fantastic film, I've read the book and enjoyed it.

The cast looks wonderful. Plus with Frederick Forsyth (the author) writing the screenplay, I have high hopes for this film.
December 5, 2011
Even better than The Third Protocol.
November 28, 2011
REALLY, GOOD!.. A, MUST-SEE-ONCE!.. DON'T MISS!... AWESOME!..
½ June 29, 2011
This, No Way Out and history ended the genre.
½ June 8, 2011
Another good intelligence community intrigue film with Michael Caine.
½ May 14, 2011
GOOD!.. Worth watching on the "Roundabouts"?! DECENT Movie!..